He's one for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 98 Astro van company truck with a 140k miles. The truck shakes from 60mph +. The tires have been replaced with 3 different brands. Can't even tell how many times the tires have been balanced. We even brought it to a wheel place that has the Hunter road force system. No bent rims and the current tires are good.

We also put in new shocks, brakes and rotors and drums.

It's even been to the dealer to have it checked.

The problem is only on the right side both front and rear.

What's your take on this?

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
How are you determining that it's only on the right side? Is there any chance it could be in the driveline? U-joint maybe?

The tranny and driveshaft were replaced about 20k miles ago. This problem only started about 4 months ago. You can really feel it on the rightside. You can feel it coming thru the wheel well if you sit on the rightside.

Ball joints on any late 90's Chevy's (small platform S-10/Mini-vans) were notorious for ball joints going bad (the shaking being a symptom). I had a 2000 Blazer that I went through the same exact scenario you are right now and I ended up replacing the joints even after I was told by the dealer they were fine.

-2 sets tires
-1 set hubs (both sides)
-upper and lower ball joints (both sides)

All before 76,000 miles, and it's not like the ****ed Pennsylvania roads with potholes the size of cannonballs help any. Just my luck I guess but hope it gives you something to think about looking into.

I finally had the van on a long highway run today.

The problem I felt today was the rear is shaking.
When I got home, I jacked up the rear and supported it under the axle using jack stands.

Started the van and put it in drive, then slowly took it up to 60mph.

HOLLY COW!!! I saw and felt the wheels wobble.

I let the wheels stop and started pulling and pushing on the wheel. Man, there's alotta play there. Looks like I'll be replacing the bearings.

You will have play pushing the axle in and out on that rear end due to clearance of the "C" clips between the cross shaft and side gears in the diff housing. Worry about any play perpendicular to the axle shaft. As a general rule the bearings will get noisy before any play will be evident and it will take out your axle shafts as well.

tires out of balance will cause the shake.

I don't thing running it on jack stands at 60mph is wise for the vehicle or a safe thing to do. What it something let go from the shaking. I seen a wheel come off a car that traveled a long way before it smashed into another car door, bouced over 100 ft in air at times and seemed to pick up speed.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
tires out of balance will cause the shake.

I don't thing running it on jack stands at 60mph is wise for the vehicle or a safe thing to do. What it something let go from the shaking. I seen a wheel come off a car that traveled a long way before it smashed into another car door, bouced over 100 ft in air at times and seemed to pick up speed.

The tires have been balanced on a hunter road force machine. The tires wobble in and out, not up and down. They also checked for a bent rim. Rims are good.

I agree that wasn't the safest thing to do, but nobody can seems able to find what's wrong with the van. I know now that it's coming from the rear, it's the same vibration. The only other thing I want to try is to take the wheels off one of the other vans and put them on. Then we'll know for sure if it's the wheels or the rear.

I'm getting close, I can feel it!

[ August 07, 2005, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Oil stain ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back