Hertz EV disposal plan in effect.

Do you put your phone on charger daily? The same concept: put it on the charger while you are sleeping, even if you have not drained the whole battery. With PHEVs and EVs, there is the unofficial rule called "ABC" (Always Be Charging), as "shore" power allows the battery management system to condition the battery either by cooling or heating it without using battery charge, but power from the outlet. Not to mention cabin temp pre-conditioning function, which is very nice on very hot days (in my case) to come to the car that's not a scorching hot oven(especially if you are connected to some free public charger).

It really depends. I’ve seen the charge level drop while connected to power but not actively charging. A Model 3 shows that it’s accepting 2V at 0A. I think for the most part it’s operating off of the battery.

The only time I’ve seen it not charging but providing substantial power was during preconditioning. I saw it displaying about 240V but 13-18A. I think turning on A/C or heat can also do that.

Does this mean their inane ads with Tom Brady on youtube can finally stop? I think it's the same two commercials, every 10 minutes. Sheesh.

Probably, as I just watched them again this evening (getting to be like the old days, hit mute and wait) (no I'm not signing up for prime or whatever it is, for free I can handle a few commercials--but how about some variety already?).

You’re acting like you have to stand there and hold the charger for eight hours.

It’s not like getting gas. You simply plug it in and go make dinner and go to sleep and it’s full in the morning.

Is that not obvious? Lol.
Yeah, kind of why one EV per household, maybe two? I dont know anyone with less than 2 cars.
Also they must own a house, cant be an apartment, condo, college dorm or renting in many cases.
For our house, now with the kids gone and since we own a house its entirely do-able on one of the two vehicles if I want to spend the extra money on an EV

You’re acting like you have to stand there and hold the charger for eight hours.

It’s not like getting gas. You simply plug it in and go make dinner and go to sleep and it’s full in the morning.

Is that not obvious? Lol.
Not at all. I understand the concept of plugging something in. EV advocates want to act like owning an EV is equivalent to gassing up "almost anywhere" once a week for 3 minutes and then getting a 400 mile range out of it. Is that not obvious? Lol.

Yeah, kind of why one EV per household, maybe two? I dont know anyone with less than 2 cars.
Also they must own a house, cant be an apartment, condo, college dorm or renting in many cases.
For our house, now with the kids gone and since we own a house its entirely do-able on one of the two vehicles if I want to spend the extra money on an EV
Yes I thought of that. We have 4 vehicles at my home. Wife and I own 3 and son has one. I would not even want to think of trying to juggle them around to access a charger. Too easy to gas up one every week or two at the corner convenience store and be on our way.

Not at all. I understand the concept of plugging something in. EV advocates want to act like owning an EV is equivalent to gassing up "almost anywhere" once a week for 3 minutes and then getting a 400 mile range out of it. Is that not obvious? Lol.
Yep and then claim they're driving for free, or almost free. However key elements in that math are often left out.

Yep and then claim they're driving for free, or almost free. However key elements in that math are often left out.
From a fueling standpoint, that can be true. It costs about $55 for 10 gallons of gas on my TSX or GS350. That's 210 to maybe 250 miles. It costs me nothing to plug in the Model 3 for the same distance.

Charging an EV allows for more benefit from my solar project. Do the math; I did and it was a no-brainer project so I pulled the trigger 6 years ago. A hedge against rising energy costs, which turned out to be far better than my numbers.

FYI I am past the break even point of the solar project. Not using the energy generated is leaving money on the table. In business, you learn to maximize the ROI of an investment.

From a fueling standpoint, that can be true. It costs about $55 for 10 gallons of gas on my TSX or GS350. That's 210 to maybe 250 miles. It costs me nothing to plug in the Model 3 for the same distance.

Charging an EV allows for more benefit from my solar project. Do the math; I did and it was a no-brainer project so I pulled the trigger 6 years ago. A hedge against rising energy costs, which turned out to be far better than my numbers.

FYI I am past the break even point of the solar project. Not using the energy generated is leaving money on the table. In business, you learn to maximize the ROI of an investment.
Not everyone did it 6 years ago. Price it out today, then factor in the added costs to replace a roof when the time comes. That same ten gallons of gas costs me about $45, in other parts of the US is even less, and insurance on a similar ICE vehicle is less. That all goes into the math, and that horse has been dragged out of the barn beaten and put back more than once here.

Curious; where did you hear this? Thanks in advance.

Not everyone did it 6 years ago. Price it out today, then factor in the added costs to replace a roof when the time comes. That same ten gallons of gas costs me about $45, in other parts of the US is even less, and insurance on a similar ICE vehicle is less. That all goes into the math, and that horse has been dragged out of the barn beaten and put back more than once here.
I pointed out fueling costs; specifically my fueling costs. You said people are claiming to drive for free or close to it in #50. Can you cite your information?

Search the board and the web, you'll find it.
You made the claim, not me. If I saw such a thing as free EV use, I would question it. I did a search and found nothing.
I am open other opinions, points of view and experiences. I like to learn. But without data, it's just opinion.

You made the claim, not me. I did a search and found nothing.
I am open other opinions, points of view and experiences. I like to learn. But without data, it's just opinion.
Sorry, you like to learn then do your own homework.

If you say so. Clearly you spent little to no time searching.
Well, my search shows you to be mistaken; I wanted to get your side of the story. I am open to other points of view. I am data driven. If I make a point, I can point to credible source(s). Otherwise it is just blowing wind, right?

Back