Hercules cordless

No parts availability. I won't own a power tool that has no parts available.
Have you verified that by calling their parts and service dept? They have a 5 year over the counter warranty, they will just replace it.
After 5 years what parts do you need on an $80 bare tool? After 5 years if it breaks I thank it for its service and toss it in the bin and replace it.

No parts availability. I won't own a power tool that has no parts available.
Meh, if they stand behind the warranty you get 5 years plus a potential replacement. Assume you get 8+ years...not a bad investment if it's for a business.

I understand lamentations about our disposable society, but in the business world nothing lasts forever...similar to how municipalities replace vehicles every 3 years (or insert any interval you like).

I'm NOT arguing for or against Hercules, merely saying the real world and the ideal world rarely align.

I purchased the compact Hercules 1/2" impact wrench when they had buy a battery and charger get the tool for free or 120 dollars. I'm very pleased. It has plenty of power to remove my 100 ft. lb lugs and even removed my axle nuts at 184 ft lbs with ease. Not only that but the battery lasts a long time. Being as Hercules has a 5 year warranty on the tool and a 3 year warranty on the battery it's hard to fault. The tool seems very well built which is important to me. I don't know if this impact wrench would hold up to all day every day use however they do have a 5 year warranty which is better than Dewalt's 3 year warranty. I've used their warranty service and I just walked in with this torque wrench and the guy walked right over and grabbed one off the shelf. Zero problems getting that torque wrench replaced. He didn't even ask for the receipt which I had in my pocket.

Meh, if they stand behind the warranty you get 5 years plus a potential replacement. Assume you get 8+ years...not a bad investment if it's for a business.

I understand lamentations about our disposable society, but in the business world nothing lasts forever...similar to how municipalities replace vehicles every 3 years (or insert any interval you like).

I'm NOT arguing for or against Hercules, merely saying the real world and the ideal world rarely align.
That disposable idea goes against my principles. Just last week my Bosch grinder needed a new front armature bearing. I had fun measuring it and comparing it to a bearing chart online to get its part number. I then go downtown to the industrial supply store and get one. Now the grinder runs like new. It's over 20 years old. The satisfaction I get from maintaining and repairing my tools has no price tag.

That disposable idea goes against my principles. Just last week my Bosch grinder needed a new front armature bearing. I had fun measuring it and comparing it to a bearing chart online to get its part number. I then go downtown to the industrial supply store and get one. Now the grinder runs like new. It's over 20 years old. The satisfaction I get from maintaining and repairing my tools has no price tag.
You and i can take apart tools and look for parts. The pros lose money doing that. Time is money. They need to make money working on cars , not the tools.

One good thing about the new Hercules cordless line is that they've been out on the market for under 3 years.
So...any tool, battery or charger fail will immediately tell you that it's good to be warrantied.
When I walked in with my 8ah battery that failed, I had the receipt in my pocket. I was ready for the cashier to say: "We need your receipt for warranty work" and then I was ready to argue with them. Instead, she just told me to grab a new one off the shelf.
In my experience/opinion, alot depends on who you get when you present for warranty. One store in Phila will argue like crazy, but others are easy going. Just my opinion...

If you give them name and phone number they have a receipt in their system and also email one to you. No one disliked HF more than I did, I still have that awful cheap Chinese rubber smell in my nose their stores used to have. Times change, the stores today are not like that anymore, the cheap and cheesy orange Chicago electric junk is mostly gone and having a store less than a mile away makes a difference.

If you give them name and phone number they have a receipt in their system and also email one to you. No one disliked HF more than I did, I still have that awful cheap Chinese rubber smell in my nose their stores used to have. Times change, the stores today are not like that anymore, the cheap and cheesy orange Chicago electric junk is mostly gone and having a store less than a mile away makes a difference.
I think they are moving in a better direction. More Taiwan products.
Quality of some items are higher.
I think the icon tools are filling a void that's been missing for 2 decades. The quality craftsman void. The quality of craftsman is nothing like it was 20+ years ago. HF icon is filling that void.

I don't have much HF stuff outside of jacks, stands, and a press and of course tool chests, which are very good.
I think they are starting to get out of the stereotype of garbage cheap tools.

I think I’ll take one for the team and get the mid torque 1/2 inch and the long neck 1/4 ratchet. I know that ratchet (at least I think) isn’t 5 year warranty so if that’s the case I’ll buy the plan to be safe

Hope to swing by this weekend and get them let y’all know

MattP: Note that the mid-torque 1/2 inch impact is free if you buy the charger and 20 volt battery as stated in post #30. Also, the 1/4" extended reach cordless ratchet is 12 volts, so you will need a different battery. The charger can handle both 20 volt and 12 volt batteries. I bought the 1/4" ratchet a few weeks ago and it was very useful in doing a Honda timing belt job last weekend.

Here is a coupon that you can use for the cordless ratchet.

1694831901575.jpg

Last time i was in HF, i had a quick look at the battery, and seating design of some hercules tools.

Did not look too different from Dewalts 20v system.

Anybody have both to compare and contrast?

I have to disagree, the only bad batteries I have had are the 12v from Milwaukee, they outright sucked and they did not honor the warranty.
Check this out.

Ive had large manufacturers build significant size Li-ion batteries for me, and one thing that happens once they are made, formed, cycled, and watched, is that the voltages and sometimes 1kHz impedances get binned.

Well made packs get very closely matched cells. The other outliers need to go to another product.

So to me the question becomes if the higher end name brand products get the best cells, does cut rate stuff like from HF get the rest?

it’s statistics, plain and simple in this game. The management systems and electronics from one vendor to another may be better or worse, but when it comes to the cells, the standard distribution exists. Barring a high impedance (slow discharge) short, the good cells will fall in a statistical distribution. Those unmatched cells thst are the outliers probably get sold for mess money and put into cut rate packs for second class vendors….

I get that, I have mostly Makita but some Bosch and Hilti also, it doesnt bother me having multiple platforms. I am not a fan of anything Milwaukee if it is not old and made in the USA, otherwise they are just another Chicom tool carrying a bought once good name. If they labeled the TTI or anything else I would have no problem with that and judge them on their merits. When I go to the HD and look at Milwaukee tools I get PO'd, its like they are whizzing on my shoes and telling me its raining.
HF will possibly expand that line of tools but I have no problem with another platform for the few tools I can use from them.

JM2C
That’s a good point about these tools. While I don’t have a bad gut feel about Milwaukee due to failed batteries, I too share the displeasure of an offshored classic name. But Milwaukee is just one of many like that.

I hate giving my dollars to the Chinese war machine. But I also recognize that for the most part all of these battery tools are made over there. My Dewalt 20v stuff is mainly US made but I suspect the inner components aren’t.

Im not opposed to multiple tool brands if some brand has a best in class item that is superior to others in my book/view. If/when HF has something that excels for some reason I’d consider it. Unfortunately there really isn’t any better option. I doubt even Hilti or Festool or Snap On sell first world battery tools…

The last Hilti batteries I bought were made in Poland with cells made in Japan and the other one was made in Japan. This was pre Nuron and I have not yet got into that line. Hilti batteries cost a small fortune but quality has a price.

This line has me somewhat intrigued by cost and performance

Anyone using it for at least a few months daily for auto, fleet, farm or industrial work?

HF has come along way from just importing the lowest cost crap and throwing it on the shelves to actually having a US based marketing and development purchasing team

They are on their way to become a brick and mortar Matco at this point.

I’m a huge SO hand tool fan. Cordless I like Milwaukee and dewalt primarily. Milwaukee’s warranty is significantly better and easier than dewalts. With Hercules tools allegedly having a similar warranty as Milwaukee but I believe being able to go in the store and get a new unit that’s nearly better

Anyone comments, concerns, opinions?
Harbor Freight has come a long way better quality products at much higher prices.

With respect to quality cordless tools I think Milwaukee wins.

Almost as important as the quality of the tool is, is the quality of the battery pack. I have yet to have a Milwaukee OEM battery fail. Two Ryobi OEM batteries have failed. Several aftermarket batteries have failed.

I like being able to buy replacement battery packs from Vanon. They perform well and are available for most major brands. HF not so much, I just looked. From my time with flashlights I've learned when you see 18650 cells too cheap they are salvaged and the decent ones have new endcaps on them to hide the spot welds from disassembly. They are a smidgen longer. They halve some life left but are not new batteries. Not saying HF uses them but who knows ww/o looking. They usually have "fire" somewhere in their name. Might be telling......

Back