Hercules cordless

Last time i was in HF, i had a quick look at the battery, and seating design of some hercules tools.

Did not look too different from Dewalts 20v system.

Anybody have both to compare and contrast?

I will. I have dewalt 20v as well I saw one video that said they interchange. If that’s the case I would use dewalt batteries likely as you can get some decent ones for fair prices

Got a few items today the 1/2 mid torque not in stock around my area. Will check this week to see if I can get one

But 1/4 long neck ratchet. Battery 4ah 12v. 20v 3/8 impact. 20v 5ah battery and the charger.

Will check on dewalt battery compatibility tomorrow. Will use the tools as normal daily try to get a little feed back as I go

Attachments

• IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 13
Got a few items today the 1/2 mid torque not in stock around my area. Will check this week to see if I can get one

But 1/4 long neck ratchet. Battery 4ah 12v. 20v 3/8 impact. 20v 5ah battery and the charger.

Will check on dewalt battery compatibility tomorrow. Will use the tools as normal daily try to get a little feed back as I go
I'm pulling for them because if they make Milwaukee nervous that's good for EVERY consumer....just as I was hoping the new Bronco might force Stellantis to up their quality on the Wrangler (not sure the latter is working out but hope springs eternal)

So the quick info is that the dewalt batteries do not work. They are similar but not same layout. Will not even charge on each others charger.

The 3/8 impact is like the size of the Gen 1 fuel and the current snap on. The dewalt atomic and gen 3 fuel are stubbier.

Waiting for the 1/2 compact to come in stock at one of the 2 stores around my area.

Might get the 3/8 ratchet as well.

Not sure why they would not have made the whole tool line 5 year warranty and not just the brushless. Seems like an over sight and may change in the future.

That was the first time I had been in a HF in at least 5 years.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Yesterday doing front brake replacement on a 2017 2500 truck. The caliper bracket bolts are 24 mm headed large bolts to the knuckle.

I tried to take those bolts off with the Hercules 3/8 impact. Let it rattle for 10 seconds nothing. Tried the other bolt of the 2 same results. Grabbed the Dewalt atomic 3/8 and it cranked them right off. All 4 no problem.

So the dewalt dcf923 more power and shorter package. BUT $220 at HD for the bare tool. Less warranty too.

The bolts are more 1/2” tool range honestly but wanted to see what the quick comparo said.

Couple comparo size pics of the 3/8 impact

The dewalt is much shorter. Snap on ct9010 approx same. Power seems about the same. Maybe more for the Hercules. Now I do know they snap on, just came out with a new 3/8 stubby with increased power. I haven’t had a chance to try it it’s 8 something for the kit lol. No thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5592.jpeg
    IMG_5592.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5596.jpeg
    IMG_5596.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: D60
Picked up the 1/2 cordless drill with the Jacob’s Chuck

My M18 Chuck is not working great and need to send it in for warranty so that’s where the Hercules came in.

The 15% off coupon was a nice addition. It was a mere 83.29 with battery and charger. Likely better quality of a tool than the 99 dollar holiday special m18 drill combo. But we’ll see.

Picked up the 1/2 cordless drill with the Jacob’s Chuck

My M18 Chuck is not working great and need to send it in for warranty so that’s where the Hercules came in.

The 15% off coupon was a nice addition. It was a mere 83.29 with battery and charger. Likely better quality of a tool than the 99 dollar holiday special m18 drill combo. But we’ll see.
The M18 chuck will never work well. Definitely a huge Milwaukee problem, and I'm 100% Milwaukee. Put a Rohm on it. Sucks to have to spend ~$60 out of pocket, but life ain't fair. Or maybe the Hercules is the solution.

Wish this guy good service. I don’t drill tons but feels pretty good. The impact driver they have looks decent and tests well

Attachments

• IMG_6432.jpeg
    IMG_6432.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
Harbor Freight tools remains questionable. The tests I've seen do sometimes show that some of the Hurcules tools have more power than the competition and some fall short. The issue I have is not the HP, but rather, the battery quality and availability. I would be beyond surprised if, when opening up any Harbor Freight tool battery, we find the specific high cycle capable Sanyo 18650's/2170's, like you do with Dewalt or Milwaukee. Dewalt sells you 10 year cells. Many others do not.

You forgot to mention the price. While I have used Hercules and Bauer tools on a professional basis, and I'm pretty sure they don't have the hottest new battery technology, the do have good battery tech. They last quite long indeed and the new brushless drills are as good as it gets. Remember the cost of those Milwaukee batteries. I like Milwaukee and their batteries are great, but I can get by, probably cheaper, with some other brands. We do a lot of drilling through brick and block and to be honest, we use a corded Hilti for that. Everything else is quite a bit less strenuous on drills and more often than not we use 12v Makitas. If HF makes a brushless 12v drill and driver, I'll try them out.

Well the 1/4 extended neck ratchet bit the dust today. Drive anvil snapped off. Will exchange it maybe tomorrow

Had that happen several times on earlier Milwaukee 1/4 ratchets too

This line has me somewhat intrigued by cost and performance

Anyone using it for at least a few months daily for auto, fleet, farm or industrial work?

HF has come along way from just importing the lowest cost crap and throwing it on the shelves to actually having a US based marketing and development purchasing team

They are on their way to become a brick and mortar Matco at this point.

I’m a huge SO hand tool fan. Cordless I like Milwaukee and dewalt primarily. Milwaukee’s warranty is significantly better and easier than dewalts. With Hercules tools allegedly having a similar warranty as Milwaukee but I believe being able to go in the store and get a new unit that’s nearly better

Anyone comments, concerns, opinions?
Both the Bauer and Hercules look decent if I were in the market I’d entertain one of the two. I’m just too invested in the Ryobi ecosystem. 3x 4ah, 2x 6ah and several 1.5-2ah batts.

I am guessing a large swath of BITOG viewers are deep into at least 2 battery types, many 3 types if you include some higher voltage OPE
I am in that group! I have mostly Ryobi 18V and 40V but recently added the 20V Dewalt drill and 1/4 impact. As the Ryobi units die off over the next X years, I plan to switch mostly to Dewalt for the items used most often. Not that Ryobi is bad; in fact I very much like their brushless circ saw and a few others, and batteries are more budget friendly than Dewalt. However the drills/impacts are just too big to fit in tight spaces (even the HP line is much bigger than the little Dewalt).

I have also been considering the Herc line but at this point dont need more of the same tools. Their high torque 1/2 and 3/4 impacts are impressive!

I was tempted by the HF stuff. Just couldn't pull the trigger. No real need...want only

Yep. 12V Milwaukee - size, power and cost fit me well
DeWalt 20VMax. Started when they first came out. I love the circular saws, multi-tool, etc....brutes. I use my drills less. Mostly I use the 12V Mil stuff, or corded, or I actually have two drill presses.
OPE Greenworks 80V. I love the chainsaw, two blowers and a whacker

I got the 20v impact driver this morning when I went to get my 1/4 ratchet replaced. Which they didn’t have at my location. Will try another store tomorrow that allegedly has it in stock

I have been impressed with the drill. And ran the impact driver a bit this afternoon on a couple vans

Some of this stuff is very good competitive. Some is a little dated IMO but for the $ still a good deal.

I mean right now the 20v drill or the impact driver for 97 bucks and an extra free battery. No brainer

Bare tool from Milwaukee or dewalt that is comparable to the Hercules of those 2 are around $100 on eBay

Just got this last week. Haven't done anything except charge the battery so far. Battery was free with impact purchase. My first battery impact.

20240110_160336.jpg

Just got this last week. Haven't done anything except charge the battery so far. Battery was free with impact purchase. My first battery impact.

View attachment 199047

Looks like the 1/2 “compact” I actually don’t have that one. When I wanted it initially it was hard to come by in stock. I have the 3/8 compact. It reminds me of the gen 1 Milwaukee in both size and power. Similar to a fairly recent snap on as well.

Very good value for the $ especially with the free battery they are giving

I am drawn toward the 3/4 but was kinda waiting to see if dewalt made a 3/4 based off the dcf961

I must have bungled my reply above who knows.
We use tools daily, professionally, hard and I can certainly vouch for Milwaukee, they last, and I have yet to have a battery go bad in over 10 years of hard use, and some I have were used when I got them.
Having said that, my partner made a statement a long time ago about cheaper tools, so we started giving them a try. I have a Hercules 12V screwdriver, a Bauer sawzall, a Bauer 20v sheetmetal shear, and some others I can't think of right now. Never, Never a problem at all. So now we're going to buy some of the Hercules 20v drills and impact drivers for HVAC installs, and see how they do. Again, we haven't gone through a battery with either Hercules or Bauer.

Back