Herbal oils for recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I have an old family recipe that calls for oil of clove and oil of cinnamon. My grandmother used to get them at the pharmacy (haven't explored this yet). Essential oils are often marked something along the lines of:

Quote:
The Leading Aromatherapy Associations (Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA), International Aromatherapy and Aromatic Medicine Association, Aromatherapy Trade Council, and others) all state that essential oils should not be taken internally (regardless of purity or organic origin) unless under the guidance of a health care practitioner trained at an appropriate level . As such, all of our oils carry a label warning that the product is NOT FOR INTERNAL USE.

So... Any recommendations on sources for herbal oils suitable for use in recipes? I'm not sure if this all implies some purity/metals/other hazard due to production, or if the potencies taken straight could just be an issue. Obviously in a recipe I'm not taking it straight.

Anyone have experience with using such oils?

I found both at Amazon. Suggest you look there. I limited my search to grocery-gourmet foods, to find the ones for cooking, etc.

You'll get clove at the pharmacy (toothache remedy), not sure on cinnamon. I know that you can get cinnamon essential oil, and it's quite powerful concentrated, but I don't think it's food grade/safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back