Helping a friend find cheap smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again folks. A friend of mine that is finally on the straight and narrow look for a cheap ($100-200) smartphone. Is Ebay and Amazon a good place to look? Looking to get smartphone with cash and one that is unlocked and he could probably use cricket or any provider.

Thank You in advance
smile.gif

If you have Amazon Prime, tough to beat the Prime Exclusive phones.

Cricket has some cheap to free phones for new numbers and transfers. You may as well take advantage of the new line discounts to get a free/discounted phone. See if something low end meets their needs, you can always upgrade with an unlocked phone later. Cricket ships really fast. They also have the iPhone 6s for $199 with a new line.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
You can get a new iPhone 6 for $175 through TracFone.

That is for the 6S, 6S Plus is $225. And if you are an existing customer, it is only $150/$200.

Limit 2 per customer.

Last edited:
I just ordered a LG Premier Pro LTE (L413DL) from Tracfone for $30 ($39.99 - $10.00 coupon). For now I am going with their $25 60 day prepaid plan which gives me plenty of talk/text and 500MB data.

These days, smarts phones can be had for cheap - especially because of BYOD.

Check out Best Buy, sometimes they have really good prices on unlocked devices.

This is the phone that I have, Verizon Prepaid Samsung Galaxy J7. Everytime a new version of Android comes out it updates automatically. It was just recently updated with the PIE version of Android.
Wal-Mart has a great selection of prepaid phones. I used to be an LG user, and they have a great selection of those as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Wireless-Samsung-J7-16GB-Prepaid-Smartphone-Black/794276399

https://www.walmart.com/cp/8493986?...redirectQuery=verizon%20prepaid%20phones

BTW, I am on the Verizon $40 prepaid plan. They take the money out of my checking account each month. It's unlimited everything with 3 GB. I hardly ever use that and it rolls over each month.

Not trying to be political and I don't know if it's true but....I've heard about free/subsidized phones provided by our government and started under a former president and perpetuated through additional presidents into the cell phone era. LifeLine is the program. May be worth looking into if true.

Just noticed my phone auto corrected my phone choice. Either that or I have real fat fingers. That's Moto E's and G's. In addition to my E4+ , I bought my daughter E6 Play. Great phones for the money.

The budget choice depends a lot about cellular date requirements. I have very low cellular data, most occurring from home or wif hot spots.

I used to be quite a gadget geeky then started listing my requirements and realized they were 90% met with a Tracfone where the phone is bundled with a $100 a year (depending on which phone you pick) plan. If you need more data or texts you can add those on as needed. Subsequent years are under $100/yr if you shop for a deal.

I have several phone geek friends who pay multiple times as much and do very little with their phone that I don't, but I don't stream TV shows/etc to my phone to watch on the go, that just seems silly to me to watch on a ~5" display since I have smart TV, computer, tablet, and no long passive commutes like a train where I desperately need that, and yet if I did, I could just pop content onto the mSD card on the phone. Do have a nice big mSD card, enough for all your music collection and as many videos as you care to watch in a few days. Given the cheap flash prices these days, that's about $15 for 128GB.

IMO, paying much for a phone made sense when phones were in their early years and you got much more for the money. Today, people who paid $400+ whether outright or subsidized through a costly plan, often envy my sleek thin, much cheaper plan and phone.

Last edited:
I have not read all comments so pardon me if its a repeat.

Is it necessary that he buys a new phone? If not, there are a ton of refurbished phones on ebay or he can buy used on Swappa. Some ebay sellers offer a warranty so choose from them. If you buy from Swappa, communicate with the seller, ask for more pictures.

I got Google Pixel XL (128GB), one on ebay (alltechwholesale is the seller) and one on Swappa, ~$200 mark, both mint conditions, no complaints. This phone has more juice than any new phones that may have been mentioned on this thread.

we got for a family member iPhone 7 32GB unlocked used the other day, all for $210

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back