Help with oil choice - Mustang 4.6L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see the need to use 5w-30 in Texas unless the valve train uses hydraulic lifters or Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

And b/c you don't need to do frequent oil changes I'd pay the extra $1 a bottle for Valvoline Maxlife or Durablend synthetic blend.

Onmo'Eegusee
Quote:

A Toyota operative inside Ford did it to make engines melt after the warranty gives up. These melting engines would seriously damage Fords already very damaged reputation and would cause people to buy a new car from...Toyota.[/sarcasm]

If I catch your drift correctly, you're saying that since Ford back spec'd the 4.6 for 5W-20, the oil must be ok. I understand that, but I'm wondering WHY Ford back spec'd the 4.6 ? Was it just for the increase in fuel economy, and if so, how much better is the fuel economy compared to 5W-30?

jorton
Quote:

I just don't see the need to use 5w-30 in Texas unless the valve train uses hydraulic lifters or Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.

What grade would you recommend then, going up or down?

I've seen Motorcraft suggested.

and thats my suggestion as well
wink.gif

Ford didn't back spec it for fuel economy. Why would they? Under CAFE they are not penalized on past models fuel economy, only present models. CAFE doesn't take into effect fuel economy of 4 model years ago.

That said, my guess would be they did it so they can build more credibility for the 5-20 oil, and concentrate more on uniformity in oils. Either that or they just really care about the environment, and want to give it that extra nudge that comes from the .1 mpg increase. (as they churn out 12mpg SUV's by the thousands)

Thanks for the advice. I went with a Mobil Clean 5000 in
5-30. I didn't know about Ford changing the specs so I just went with what was in the manual. I'll try 5-20 next time. It irks me to come home and find an oil spot under my car after an oil change. I guess when they pulled the filter off they spilled some on underlying parts and when I get home it drips on my driveway. You'd think they would wipe it off, but maybe they were lazy or they missed some on the top side.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Owners manual calls for 5-30 oil, but i see a lot of people recommending 5-20 for this motor.

And why is that anyway?
confused.gif

Because they back-speced it to 5W20 after the owners manual was already in the car.

And the advantage of 5W-20 over the original 5W-30 would be __________?

fuel economy, which is why Ford went to 5W-20.

But isn't 5W-30 already supposed to be a fuel economy oil?
confused.gif

Lighter viscosity oils have better fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back