HELP PLEASE !!! Problem(s) with Spyware/Virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try this?

To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press .

If you do not press in time, let the computer finish booting (starting), and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Did you try this?

To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

If you do not press in time, let the computer finish booting (starting), and then restart the computer again.

Yea, if you do that, it will reinstall the operating system exactly like it came from the factory. Hence, all data will be lost, so be advised of that. Dell (and a few others) have a restore partition in the hard drive that reinstalls the operating system.

So can we confirm that it simply won't boot into safe mode?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Yes, It won't boot in safe mode at all.

Did you try this?

To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

I could not do this either, there is no "blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen".

After press the power button, I start to press and nothing.

The only 3 keys can be activated:
F2 to get to BIOS Setup Utilities
F8 to get to Safe Mode
F12 to get to Boot Menu, in this menu there are these choices: Hard Drive, USB Storage, CD-ROM Drive, Removable Devices, Broadcom PXE and Diagnostics

Quote:

That's the way I read it.

I've been trying to think of a process that a beginner can use to fix this problem.

What I would do, is to remove the drive from the laptop and connect it as the 2nd. drive on my desktop. This may require changing jumpers on one or both drives. This will allow powering up the drive without booting it up. Now it can be scanned with any A/V programs and cleaned up.

An alternative is to use a generic boot cd with a scanner installed and boot the system that way. None of this is an easy process for a beginner, but you have to start somewhere.

HTSS_TR,

Do you have a desktop to use that you can hook this drive up to?

Here's what I'm thinking, although I don't know if it's actually possible; Use F12 to get all the hard drive data saved to a thumb drive (if possible), then use the PC Restore feature.

Thank you for your kind response. Yes, you should think that I'm a beginner, I need a clear step-by-step so that I can follow without get into bigger problems.

No, I don't have a desktop to hook up this drive.

I'm contacting Dell customer services to seek helps, I don't know if they can do anything to help.

Somehow I got the laptop to read the Microsoft Windows XP disc. I'm in the "Windows XP Home Edition Setup" screen, the message on the screen is: "Setup is copying files ..."

Looking good so far, I hope that it'll finish correctly and I can get back to a working laptop even all the files are destroyed.

Wish Me Luck !!!

Well, it didn't go anywhere after installed Windows XP from CD. It displayed "Vostro" at the middle the screen and nothing else.

Oh boy, the one I had just a couple of weeks ago was antivirus xp pro 2009. I had this on my sony desktop and fought with it for days. I ended up starting in safe mode, and used msconfig to start selected things. I then got an external hard drive and transferred my important files onto it. After that I used the system restore disks and wiped everything out. You start again from day one just like having a brand new computer.

I tried all kinds of things to fix it but I couldn't. The thing loaded itself onto my computer and set itself up as the administrator with a password, it wouldn't let me into task manager or run anything that would let you see processes. It would turn off the virus scan etc. and try to send data from my computer, I had to disconnect the machine from the modem just to be sure it wasn't sending. This bug is nasty.

google "antivirus xp 2009" you will get a ton of websites talking about this nasty virus and ways to beat it. Like I said, I had this over xmas break, it took days to figure out. go to safe mode, download Malwarebytes anti-malware free edition. do a "quick scan" it will delete the infection, then run it 2-3 more times in "thorough" scan and it will find it again. Then delete it. In my case, it found 29 infections after a quick scan, then after deleting it. With a throrough scan, it found 5 infections were still left, delete it. Then repeat again for the third time to make sure it is gone. Do all of this in safe mode. After this, your computer will come back to normal. When you get back online, go use those free online scanners that Drew mentioned.

This antivirus will not let Windows XP load normally. it won't let you run online scanners in safe mode. It will slow your computer to a crawl, I think it took avast 9 hours to scan a 120 GB hard drive. I have posted pics of this nasty bug in my thread from December with photos. Spyboy search and destroy will find and delete, but the infection will reinstall itself on every windows bootup. So this has to be done in Safe mode. Hit "F8" constantly when windows boots. When you get the list of booting options, select start windows in safe mode with networking. Then go from there to get Malwarebytes antimalware free edition.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
... So this has to be done in Safe mode. Hit "F8" constantly when windows boots. When you get the list of booting options, select start windows in safe mode with networking. Then go from there to get Malwarebytes antimalware free edition.

After constantly hitting F8 I got the Windows boot options as below:

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
------------------

Doesn't matter which option I chose, the next screen is

Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Use the up and down arrows keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Press ENTER to choose.

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8.

Safe Mode with Networking
--------------

After pressing Enter, I got to the Windows diagnostics screen then for 1/2 minutes then Welcome screen with 4 user settings. Selected any user setting it either displayed Vostro logo or a blank screen with SafeMode in 4 corners and "Microsoft Windows XP..." on top of the screen.

---------------

I could not even do PC Restore by pressing during the boot process. I could not to the screen to allow me to select Restore.

I could not even reinstall Microsoft Windows XP from a disc succesfully.

do you know how to burn cds? if so, go on another computer, download and burn ubuntu on a CD-R. Put the burned ubuntu CD into the infected pcs cd drive, restart the pc, it will give you an option to either install ubuntu or run it as a boot cd. Choose boot cd, then use firefox to download and install malware antimalware bytes. Scan and delete infections. keep scanning until the infection is not on the hard drive. After this complete, take the ubuntu cd out, reboot the pc. You should be able to boot into windows. If not and the virus damaged windows, you should now be able to do a repair windows install using your Windows CD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If you've got another system, pull the drive, put it in the other system and scan it.

I removed the Hard Drive from Vostro 1000 laptop, the Hard Drive is side-installed therefore the shape of the drive is not possible to install in the other laptops, Dell Inspiron 1300 and 9300.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
do you know how to burn cds? if so, go on another computer, download and burn ubuntu on a CD-R. Put the burned ubuntu CD into the infected pcs cd drive, restart the pc, it will give you an option to either install ubuntu or run it as a boot cd. Choose boot cd, then use firefox to download and install malware antimalware bytes. Scan and delete infections. keep scanning until the infection is not on the hard drive. After this complete, take the ubuntu cd out, reboot the pc. You should be able to boot into windows. If not and the virus damaged windows, you should now be able to do a repair windows install using your Windows CD.

I do not know how to burn CD, I never done that before. If there are easy steps to burn CD, will you please instruct me how to it or I can search to learn how to burn a CD.

This idea seems very good for me to follow. But I need to ask a question now.

I am in the screen Windows Recovery Console after I tried to boot with Windows XP CD. When I enter Help, there are many commands:

ATTRIB
BATCH
BOOTCFG
CD
CHDIR
CHKDSK
CLS
COPY
DEL
DELETE
DIR
DISABLE
DISKPART
ENABLE
EXIT
EXPAND
FIXBOOT
FIXMBR
FORMAT
HELP
LISTSVC
LOGON
MAP
MD
MKDIR
MORE
NET
RD
REN
RENAME
RMDIR
SYSTEMROOT
TYPE

Which Command should I enter now to do PC Restore ?

Take it to a small computer shop so they can fix it and stop pulling your hair out.

I'll probable will do this, but I need to find a good local computer shop that can fix this problem without charging an arm for it. I paid only $399 + tax a year and few months ago, how much do you think it'll cost to fix this problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back