Help pick out a 6 passenger car

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 grand means about 5 decent Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim/Dodge 600/Plymouth Caravelle/Chrysler 5th Avenue/Dodge Diplomat/Plymouth Gran Furys....if you can still find some.

6 passengers, but how many car seats?

+2 on the Dodge Journey. They must depreciate like rocks.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
10 grand means about 5 decent Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim/Dodge 600/Plymouth Caravelle/Chrysler 5th Avenue/Dodge Diplomat/Plymouth Gran Furys....if you can still find some.

I was hoping All M-Body Chryslers have been crushed by now, All the GM hate you spew....And this is what your into....M-Bodies?

Thanks, I needed the laugh.

I agree with going to a public auction. I went to about 6 of them before pulling the trigger. Bought 2 cars in one night paid cash for both and got both cheaper than either one would have been at the dealer. Later traded one at the dealer and got more than I paid for it. You really need to know cars as 95% of them have problems but I crawled under and test drove them around the lot. If the engine starts and tranny feels ok check all fluids carefully and look underneath for any problems like leaks or damage. For the prices I paid I could afford to put a tranny or engine and still be well ahead but neither of them had any major issues. You have to go there with an open mind and be willing to buy what they have - colors, models, options are limited to what is there. If they don't have anything you want then pass until another auction.

Id go for sienna over a caravan..known trans issues etc..id avoid caravan if possible..their price point is their strong point however. Not sure what sienna u would get for 10k. Minivan seems to be best choice though for 6 ppl.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: CKN
Yea-they can get a REALLY USED Tahoe/Suburban for 10grand.

At a dealer? Yeah, probably.

At auction? As someone who has purchased a Suburban via this method, I'd strongly disagree; 10k will get you a very nice, low mileage GMT900 Tahoe/Suburban.

How many ordinary people have access to an auction?

Dodge Caravan

1e5c2201220185e054b1143fb0f2367fx.jpg

Exactly. Maybe in some areas. But most? No way. Dealers snap up anything that's decent and registered walk-ins get the crumbs. I've been there.

Seating six passengers safely and comfortably is going to require something other than a 4-dr car or small "SUV".

$10K is going to buy you a mostly used up Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey or full sized SUV. Even a used Grand Caravan isn't much of a deal anymore. You can buy a new one for so close to the price of a used one. They don't depreciate near how they used to. If you don't believe this, look.

Last edited:
I'd think Caravan and save a few grand for repairs--so a well used one.

I'm not sure that going three across in any thing, including a Crown Vic, is going to be comfy. Doable, but I'd think just going minivan is warranted here.

Although, I'm thinking about my typical driving--where a short drive is an hour. Are we talking about loading up six people to just go across town? That'd be a different story.

Do they have 5-6 in their family or just want a 3rd row? 6 in the family puts you into minivan/full size SUV territory just to get some cargo space with 3 rows.
If they have 4 and will use the 3rd row once in a while then anything from a mazda5 will work, to a minivan.
Mazda5's are cheapest along with the Journey, a 4 cyl Journey must be very cheap too.
Up here an 06-07 Odyssey is $10-11k with ~100k miles, my buddy bought one and its quite impressive for how it drives and the interior quality. There's is an 8 seater which they use the full layout the odd time.

Originally Posted By: JTK
CKN said:
$10K is going to buy you a mostly used up Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey or full sized SUV. Even a used Grand Caravan isn't much of a deal anymore. You can buy a new one for so close to the price of a used one. They don't depreciate near how they used to. If you don't believe this, look.

must be a rich place where you live, down here in the south there are many 2003-2009 siennas that are sub $10k private party.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

must be a rich place where you live, down here in the south there are many 2003-2009 siennas that are sub $10k private party.

Rich in terms of cost, absolutely. I did do an "autotrader" search for Siennas within ~25mi of my zip. Private party and dealer. 6-8 Siennas between ~2004-2009 came up with an average price around $8K. All had between ~118-140K miles on them. There was one gem of a 2009 shown with ~54K miles at at unknown used car lot for around $9K. You probably could get lucky and get ~200K miles out of one w/out anything major going wrong. I'm with you in that if I was going to buy a high mileage minivan, it would most definitely be a Sienna. ~118K miles is high mileage for a passenger vehicle in the rust belt.

Last edited:

Exactly. Maybe in some areas. But most? No way. Dealers snap up anything that's decent and registered walk-ins get the crumbs. I've been there

So you've been to an auction, and now you're an expert on them? Great.

Look, auctions aren't for everyone. However, there are many options out there for John Q. Public to get whatever they want at them.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
CKN said:

10Grand here will get you a piece of junk used mini van.

10Grand here will get you a piece of junk used mini van.

Do you live in/near SLC and have time available on the 24th?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

So you've been to an auction, and now you're an expert on them? Great.

Look, auctions aren't for everyone. However, there are many options out there for John Q. Public to get whatever they want at them.

??? I've been to 6-8 vehicle auctions in my lifetime. This does not make me an expert like yourself. Just stating what I've experienced with them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The point being an auction is not a viable suggestion for the average guy and is a poor solution. The average person doesn't have the knowledge for an educated look at a vehicle, plus most people finance-which isn't available at an auction either. And most dealers even at that price level give at least a 30 day warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back