Help me use Mequiars #89 Diamond Cut 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend gave this bottle to me because he was unable to get a good result. What happens is the wool pad bakes it onto the paint and you have to use water and get it off by hand. It does not matter how much pressure or how much quantity of the product you use. My surface temps are not hot at all, its done indoors, its like the wool is overheating it.

I have used many cutting / rubbing compounds and none have done this.

It isn't really designed to be used by hand. Use a random orbital, or a rotary if you are more experienced.

I find it gives very good results with an orbital.

I would try a foam pad and see if that makes a difference. I use foam pads on my buffer probably 95% of the time.

How did you prep the wool? I believe #89 has a short work time. Typically when I polish I use the 105/205 combo or for one steps I use D-151.

You also might want to try the meguiars forum. Their reps frequently answer questions and the people over there are pretty informed on Meg's products

Wool produces the most heat. I would try a foam pad with light polishing properties as a start like a Lake Country white pad. If that works but needs more bite then orange would be in order. It could just be that the product is well beyond its prime and needs to be chucked out. There are too many good ones on the market, Menzerna for instance, to waste time and money trying to figure this one out if it's that big of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back