Help me decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I know 5-20 is the preferred oil here. Or is it? Regular Dino at 5000 oci,syn blend at 5000 oci or full syn at 7500. I plan on using a Toughgard Fram filter and since im in Mn Fleet Farms Resolute brand oils. Citgo product. Good stuff and cheap when on sale

There is some belief that the 5w-20 is necessary for the cylinder reduction lifters to work properly.

Use what oil viscosity and oil change interval is specified for your engine? The oil brand you mentioned, as long as it is a certified SN oil will be fine. I've used the TG oil filters without issue.

What does your owners manual say about oil weight and oil change intervals? Does it call for 5w-20? If so, then it should be safe to use. Use the weight that is specified in our owners manual, and use the semi-synthetic oil you mentioned with changes at 5k miles (again, assuming that's within what's stated in your owner's manual).

Though right now I'd buy two Fram Ultras and get the rebate that's available on them. I would assume this would bring them in line with the price of Fram Tough Guards, but would net you a better filter.

ditto. they specify 5-20 in order for the MDS; there was even a TSB on it. from the dodge mechanics I know, its not really a big problem. but there is no reason to use anything other than 5W-20 (unless it 0W-20) I used 5W-20 in my Hemi; and I towed a 6000 lb boat with it thousands of miles in the heat of summer.

Since the HEMI is easy on oil you could likely go a one year/10000 mile OCI on synthetic.

Tough Guards are great filters, my favorite by far for anything other than short OCI's.

If 5w20 will work so will 5w30 IMO. A thin 5w30 like P4 would be just the ticket for longer OCI's. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back