Help me analyze my air filter. Pictures inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filter in question is Nissan part number 16546-0Z000. It has been installed for 9,327 miles and 9 months.

The quality of the filter seems horrible as shown in the pictures where the filter split open on both sides during the time it was in the air box.

Looking at the pictures, can you tell me if the filter was over due for a change, changed just in time, or had more life in it?

Did the filter splitting on both sides cause any lower performance even though the split is not affected when it is nice and snug in the air box?

It also seems like there are very dark lines on the filter in some areas and the pattern is uneven. What is causing this? Oil?

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

On a side note, the filter that was installed was purchased at the Nissan dealer. The filter that was installed prior to this was also a Nissan OEM part number 16546-V0100 but seemed to be much higher quality and had a slightly oiled media. When looking at the RockAuto website the Beck Arnley variants seem to be nice with a metal cage around the filter to prevent the filter from cracking as it did in my application.

Oh, one last thing. The filter that I installed now is a Wix. I'm not very impressed with the fitting as it required a bit more effort to close the air box than it did with the Nissan OEM or Fram. Hopefully this should not be a cause for concern.

Last edited:
What year car & how many miles on it?

Filter structure is comprimised - toss it !!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
What year car & how many miles on it?

Filter structure is comprimised - toss it !!

The car is a '99 Nissan Maxima with 127k miles.

I have never replaced a filter that has looked that bad. Do you drive a lot on the stopway (beltway) around DC?

I'll bet your glad that you checked it and didn't wait until 20K. Just another reason I check the air filter with every oil change.

I do drive to DC but I doubt that contributed to the condition of the filter. I think the main source of the dirty filter is a new development that is being built across from my neighborhood. For almost a year I drove through the dusty road where the construction site is.

The only thing I don't understand are the dark black,oily looking stains on the filter. The last filter I replaced was the same way.

I remember in the Toyota Avalon and Subaru Legacy I owned never having the dirt be as dark on the filter. The filters always had an even layer of light gray dust on them but never as severe as this.

Could this show some underlying problems?

Whatever filter you get,check it/change it out at 5k next time. I've never had one that looks that dirty even after 28k in my Honda!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

You may wanna change your PCV valve also...

The PCV Valve was replaced 16k miles ago with a Nissan OEM. Is the black stuff on the filter oil blow by? Is that why it looks so dirty and dark?

Last edited:
I own a 2002 Maxima and get similar dirty areas on mine. The air box design (on the 2002) has the outside air coming in at the bottom of the filter housing. The intake input is on the lower left corner (obviously behind the filter). This creates a black corner on my filter, the rest of the filter stays relatively clean. As the bottom gets clogged, it moves up toward the middle. I rotate my filter 180 degrees every 5K miles to even it out.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
I own a 2002 Maxima and get similar dirty areas on mine. The air box design (on the 2002) has the outside air coming in at the bottom of the filter housing. The intake input is on the lower left corner (obviously behind the filter). This creates a black corner on my filter, the rest of the filter stays relatively clean. As the bottom gets clogged, it moves up toward the middle. I rotate my filter 180 degrees every 5K miles to even it out.

How often do you change the air filter in your Maxima?

I drive an Infi QX4 (1999)with VG33E engine, have been puzzled by the same black stuff on my air filter, regardless what brand of filters used.
PCV is clean, no oil leak,engine is in excellent condition. I am thinking it may be the black rubber particle from the the tire?, as the air intake is quite close to the left front wheel.Just a guess.

Interesting as to what it is.

Know anyone who has a SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) at work you can bring some in to...???

Maybe this is common on most Nissan engines. It would be interesting to find out what the black stuff is.

I think the black particles are just tire rubber. Nissan puts the air pickup right up front by the hood opening, so it's like a little vacuum cleaner. On my past cars, the air intake picked up air from inside the fender well (well protected from incoming turbulent air).

I get that black stuff all the time. The only reason it's oily is because the filter I use is oil impregnated paper.

I also get the black colored junk, and reasoned that it is just common dirt/dust being dampened by the oil impregnated paper that Nissan uses in its filters. Most dirt gets darker when wet. Interesting idea on tire rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back