Help Identifying and Sourcing an Electrical Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with a tool that I have used many times in the past, but have forgotten the brand name. It provides power to the vehicle through the cigarette lighter socket while the battery is disconnected for maintenance or replacement. It provides temporary power in order to avoid losing data in the car's ECM, or radio station presets.

So, one end of the tool has a plug for the cigarette lighter and the other end has a connector for a 9 volt battery.

Has anyone used one of these or heard of it ?

I have searched the net and cannot find it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith

I don't know if you have one or not, but a lot of the portable car jumpers or portable battery jumpers have a 12V cigarette lighter connection built in. Yes, they are more expensive than the 9V battery hookup, but if you already have one of these, it can be used. A lot of these booster packs come with this cord or one can be purchased fairly inexpensively.
Also, not all cars have a "hot" cigarette lighter connection and your radio or car ECM presets will be lost unless you hook it up elsewhere in your car.

Ive seen them all over... But you are making one big assumption - that the cigarette lighter is directedly connected and always hot. I think some are actually switched, so might not work that way...

Just thinking out loud here, but some car battery chargers offer short circuit protection, so using a small float charger right on the battery cables (carefully) might work better...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Just thinking out loud here, but some car battery chargers offer short circuit protection, so using a small float charger right on the battery cables (carefully) might work better...

Or, depending on the model of float charger, might not work better.
A lot of car chargers and float chargers use the capacitance of the battery to maintain the voltage. If you remove the battery, the voltage is gone, or at least well under the voltage needed to maintain memory and presets.

Good point. Wonder if there is a variant that will serve as a true 12-14V supply with just a cutoff if the impedance of positive to ground goes too low?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Think those are called "car memory savers".

Kinda like this thing: Vehicle Computer Memory Saver

Thank you JRed, that is what I'm looking for. For the life of me I could not find those online anywhere yesterday.

Thanks Again,
Keith

Thanks for your responses everyone.

There is an issue regarding whether or not a particular vehicles cig. lighter is switched or not. Newer vehicles, last 10 years or so, I'm not sure of, older vehicles work well with a memory saver type device. I'd used them for years on dozens, if not hundreds, of vehicles.

The one I had used has gone AWOL and I'll need one to change a battery soon in my in-laws '05 LeSabre.

Thanks Again,
Keith

Giving this memory saver a little more thought I can remember an incident in which the one I had did fail me. I had gone a little too long in between 9v battery changes and lost memory in an ECM due to an almost dead 9v when I'd had the car battery out for awhile. Not a big deal, but inconvenient all the same.

If I had a portable jump starter I would get the type as suggested by tnt31.

Keith

I said there were other options for using the ODBII port memory saver. Run a drop cord and plug it in.

Adapter

Last edited:
I have that very Solar brand connector. Rigged up a small motorcycle 12v battery with cigar lighter to go with it.

If you plug it before you pull the car into the garage, the 14 volt running voltage will put a nice surface charge on as well.

I've tried jumper cables on the battery cables; what a nightmare. They need such twisting to get around the top of the battery and it's even more possible to short 'em out.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: tnt31
You can get one that plugs to the ODBII port instead of a cigarette lighter.

Such as:
http://www.amazon.com/SOLAR-ESA30-Memory-Saver-Connector/dp/B002BHX1X8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Still need a 12v source. Idea is to hook to a jump start pack if it has the 12v port but there are other options that would work.

That seems like a good idea. I assume that 9v is sufficient to retain memories?

I assume 9v is sufficient as those that use the cigarette lighter port (I have one) use a 9v battery. I loaned out my multimeter yesterday but when I get it back I will test the output to see if it is actually 9v. I know I have seen some car batteries that were only putting out about 10v and that was enough for the computer, radio, etc to retain it's settings.

A couple more options for a 12v source if you use the ODBII port device.

Hook to a car, motorcycle, or some other 12v battery

Hook to a second car's cigarette adapter

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Giving this memory saver a little more thought I can remember an incident in which the one I had did fail me. I had gone a little too long in between 9v battery changes and lost memory in an ECM due to an almost dead 9v when I'd had the car battery out for awhile. Not a big deal, but inconvenient all the same.

If I had a portable jump starter I would get the type as suggested by tnt31.

Keith

I have one that uses the 9v battery. I always get a new 9v battery before I use it. Just peace of mind. I got mine at walmart. I plan to get one that uses the ODBII port but have not had a need lately but I better go ahead and get it before that need smacks me in the face.

This one has it own internal 12v battery

When I was getting ready to buy a battery for my 2005 Ford F150 the AutoZone website said "Notes: "Caution do not use a memory saver on this vehicle".
I don't know why.
Terry

Originally Posted By: terry274
When I was getting ready to buy a battery for my 2005 Ford F150 the AutoZone website said "Notes: "Caution do not use a memory saver on this vehicle".
I don't know why.
Terry

Huh...that's interesting. I'd like to know why.

Keith

Just another thought. I have to admit I haven't actually used one, but... If I were to use one, I wouldn't leave any doors, hatches, anything that turns on a light, open more than briefly. If the "memory saver" is powered by a 9 volt battery, I expect a dome light could flatten it pretty quickly.

Good point about the switched outlet. My car is an '02 and it has two outlets, one switched and one always on. It would be disappointing if you used the switched outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back