Help! I think my 2002 Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE has developed piston slap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked to a Toyota Parts Supplier today. And he mentioned that it was very common to replace the Timing Chain Tensioner for the 2002 and newer models. He was out of stock. I have to wait a couple of weeks for his new stock to arrive.
frown.gif

It looks like this:
 -

Ken4 did he mention why? I ask becaue my past experince has been 120,000 to 250,000 miles between tensioners. If your supplier told you this maybe we can get toyota to fix it? Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I am trying to find some better speakers. The speakers hoocked up to my Mother and Fathers speakers just is not getting the job done.

I finally fixed the rattle. It is due to the Serpentine Belt Tensioner. The old tensioner was leaking oil. It is like a damper like thing. Much like an oil shock absorber. The beauty of this design is that it automatically tensions the serpentine belt even if it stretches with age. But the drawback is that it only lasted 2 years / 20,000km. And removing the serpentine belt was a cinch. All I needed was a 19mm socket and 2' long wrench, press down on the tensioner bolt and viola the serpentine belt comes off. It is a good design, except for the dodgy tensioner. Here is a pic of the old tensioner and a pic of the new tensioner assembly. The parts supplier frightened me into buying the whole assembly (16620-28011). But all I need was the tensioner (16601-28011). Notice the tensioner is different? Obviously Toyota has done away with the old 'INA' one.

-

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back