Help - Best oil for my first baby or is it wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have just got my registration approved by BITOG... today and need your help!

Finally got my dream car Porsche 911 (996) with 82,000 Km's (51,000 Miles)- 2003 form Texas, USA.

I have been following the feedback on certain types of Engine Oil, Manufacture recs, suggestions etc... and I am still torn as which one to use, based on our extreme cold weather conditions in Canada.

The Porsche Service dealer recommends Mobile 0W40, the thread I have been following on BITOG suggests Valvoline, Redline etc..... although I will not be driving my baby/wife in -40C and 3 feet of snow in Alberta, Canada....any suggestions guys?? eh eh...

And we are talking about synthetics, I hope.

Thanks in advance.

Saleem07

M1 0W-40 is an outstanding good oil.

As to you question about "We are talking about synthetic, I hope"

I don't think anyone knows of any 0W- 20, 0W-30, or 0W-40 that is not a synthetic.

The fact that it is a 0W -XX is enough to insure that it is a synthetic.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

It's rare that this can be said, but I don't think there's a better off-the-shelf option than Mobil 1 0w-40 in this case. Everything else I can think of would sacrifice cold performance and/or be out of spec in some way.

I'd ask some folks on the Renntech forums or a Porsche-specific forum for their advice before I'd ask any of us. Not many folks around here own Porsches.

That being said, Mobil 1 0w-40 is a great oil and will probably be fine as long as your oil temps aren't getting too awfully high.

Originally Posted By: JRed
I'd ask some folks on the Renntech forums or a Porsche-specific forum for their advice before I'd ask any of us. Not many folks around here own Porsches.

If Doug Hillary reads this thread, he might have a very good suggestion. I can't see M1 0w-40 being a bad choice at all, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JRed

If Doug Hillary reads this thread, he might have a very good suggestion. I can't see M1 0w-40 being a bad choice at all, though.

It would be my guess that he would also suggest this excellent product as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TTK
Ask Dr. Haas. He will probably tell you to run 0w-20!
laugh.gif

No he would likely suggest RLI 0W-30 which he runs in his Enzo.
It has similar viscosity characteristics to M1 0W-40.
Another option would be RL 0W-40.
Of course neither of these oils are Porsche approved unlike M1 0W-40.

NICE CAR!

I had the pleasure of driving a 996 once about 10 years ago - about 2,000 feet round trip ; )

IIRC, the owner of that car was using Amsoil.

I'd lean toward M1 0W-40.

If you're going to accept that dealer servicing you car you might want to use the oil he/she suggests. The answer may be that M1 is good enough to do the job. There might be a better (read more expensive) choice but as far as Porsche is concerned M1 will do the job. You will be trusting the dealer to make other just as important choices, too. Congrats on the car. If you need someone to put a lot of miles on your car to see if everything is okay give me a call.

Hi All,

This forum is great! I see there are a lot of smart guys out there, as you all leaned towards the M1 0w 40.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

oh just between us the Porsche dealer wanted CDN $497.00 for oil change and new filter....? You-tube.... Free DIY time 1 hour, parts and oil CDN $90.00 (Canadian Tire Store) go figure someone is making it!

Saleem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back