Helmet & tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You really gott'a get into a good sized city "

grin.gif
That's exactly the problem! Dallas is the closest that's truly big enough, ~2.5 hr drive- with current highway construction, probably 3 hrs. Longview, ~32 miles, has 2 dealerships- Yamaha & a Honda/Suzuki. There's another MC dealer in Mt. Pleasant ~28 miles away- (technically- mainly dirt bikes & 4-wheelers).

Haven't taken the MSF course yet, wanted to wait until I got a bike- no sense getting the cart before the horse. Some local openings left in April & plenty in early May, will probably sign up after a phone call tomorrow. What? Do a little low-speed practice riding in our small quiet isolated neighborhood beforehand? Me?
whistle.gif
(That was 1st gear at the bottom, then neutral, then 2 thru 5 all up, right?
wink.gif
)

I'll check the dealerships in Longview this week for prices on 2 mounted tires, & try on a few helmets while I'm there. The thing is, no matter how much advice & how many "how to fit a helmet" articles I read, it's gonna take some experience to go with the reading to really find the perfect-fit brain-bucket. Also, I'm very unlikely to be able to do it at only 2 or 3 dealerships, all lathered up to sell me whatever they happen to have in stock.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes

Haven't taken the MSF course yet, wanted to wait until I got a bike- no sense getting the cart before the horse.

Meh... I did it just the opposite way. Took the course, then went and got my license, and then bought a bike and helmet and rode it home.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info but changing bike tires is not something I'd want to try. I can take the wheels off the bike and take them to the bike shop and save about $20 each wheel.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Some people have Shoei shaped heads and some people have Arai shaped heads.
21.gif

And some people have CONE-SHAPED (^) heads!

Mrs. Lubner...

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Haven't taken the MSF course yet, wanted to wait until I got a bike- no sense getting the cart before the horse.
Meh... I did it just the opposite way. Took the course, then went and got my license, and then bought a bike and helmet and rode it home.
smile.gif

I did the same thing.

33.gif
I should have written it here, my mistake!

I'm a brand new learner: the bike is a 1996 Yamaha Virago XV250, 250cc V-Twin engine, cruiser-style, wet weight 324 lbs, 2700 miles, original factory tires.

Re: tires: I sure won't be doing any hard-core corner-carving, & even if I change the sprockets & hop up the engine, doubt it could break 100 mph with a lightweight skinny rider, much less me. So an S speed rating is more than enough.

Don't cheap-out on tires. Decent tires are confidence-inspiring and help you learn proper cornering without adding another set of limitations.

Also two very good books...get both volume 1&2...

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

Tires: The MC dealerships were all closed on Sunday & Monday, will try to call them today. I suspect it's gonna be very expensive though, with whatever tires they happen to have in stock.

Online, I saw the Pirelli MT66 tires, in my sizes(3.00-18 front, & 130/90-15 rear), on sale for $125 shipped for the pair. Does anyone have experience with these? They have excellent reviews, & look like they'd be a good choice. Will need tubes & rim strips too of course.

Online, I saw the Pirelli MT66 tires, in my sizes(3.00-18 front, & 130/90-15 rear), on sale for $125 shipped for the pair. Does anyone have experience with these?

No personal experience, but judging by the reviews and comments on other bike forums, I'd say they'll be perfectly fine in your application. Just make sure they're fresh stock and not something that sat in some warehouse under unknowns conditions for years.

I thought they should be OK, and surely a couple or five notches up in quality from the absolute lowest priced things I found. Age is a good point though, hadn't thought about getting old warehouse stock before.

Which brings up this question: Do motorcycle tires have a mfg date on them like auto tires do now? If so, would MC tires from 1996 have a date on them?

Thanks for the link! Looked for DOT markings on the tires, found this. Note: use of parentheses( ) is to indicate the "long oval" depressed marking section in the tire sidewall.

Front: DOT UY/YX (ABC085)

Rear: DOT UY/VS (ABC135)

According to online info, this would indicate that the front tire was mfg in the 08th week of 1995, and the rear tire made the 13th week of 1995! So they're not 15 years old, they're 16 years old.
shocked.gif
No doubt about it- whether I get 'em from a dealership or online, I *Gotta* get new tires!
grin2.gif

How much is your head worth? You should also look into getting protective riding clothes, i.e., pants and jacket & gloves and boots. The pavement is very hard and your body is soft and brittle. Get the best protective gear you can because it's your life that can be saved by it. And wear it all the time.

Fred

Re: tires; dealership looks unlikely. The nearest Yamaha dealership will be: $249.61 w/tax for mismatched tires *Alone*(Dunlop 404 rear, Avon front). *Plus* tubes, strips, tax on tubes & strips, and mounting/balancing. They don't have either tire in stock. Of course, they won't mount any tires they don't sell. I figure that'll come to over $350 out the door, might even go to $400 or a dab over.

Such is life in the boondocks when dealing with near-monopolies.

Online: $125 shipped for a matched set of Pirelli MT66 tires- plus about another $25 for tubes & strips. Plus some intensive inet research on DIY mount & balance. Probably take a full day- or even two- to get it done. I'd save $200-$250+ & learn a valuable skill. Shade tree mechanic becomes carport motorcycle tire tech?
whistle.gif
wink.gif

Are there any independent cycle repair shops in your area?

I have a couple to choose from. Their shop rate is usually lower than a dealer as they don't have to maintain inventor of un-sold bikes, or a large parts inventory.
You either bring your own parts, or they order them off internet.
Ask around or check phone book or internet.

I asked at the No-Ethanol station yesterday, he said they sometimes mount MC tires. Sounded a little iffy though.

Then he told me about another small independent tire shop nearby that has "the guy", an employee(partner?) who does all their MC tire mounting. That sounds like exactly what's needed. I gotta call or stop by & see how much to have them mounted, & the $ difference between bringing the bike & bringing the wheels.

Motorcyclesuperstore has the best prices on line for tires. Free shipping over $100.
For balancing, use dynabeads.
Motorcyclesuperstore has bike shops that mount for a posted price, but buy a tire changer with mc attachment from Harbor Freight and save every time you change a tire.

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
Motorcyclesuperstore has the best prices on line for tires. Free shipping over $100.
For balancing, use dynabeads.
Motorcyclesuperstore has bike shops that mount for a posted price, but buy a tire changer with mc attachment from Harbor Freight and save every time you change a tire.

I had a feeling MSS can save money on tires. Do you know how much a tire changer costs at Harbor Freight?
We have a HF here in our city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back