Hello, and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the new Ultra Platinum 10w30 has the low 5.6 NOACK. I suspect they had to add more additive carrier oil in the other grades since they had some additive fallout in the old formulation. Only PUP 10w30 grade has the low NOACK now...It ran incredibly smooth and quiet in my [censored] box Subaru. PUP 10w30 is hard to find...Some Walmarts carry it for about $28 per 5qt jug...You can get it on Amazon for more money.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess

Could be, but the ring area is of most concern to me. Most of these guys have a witches brew of base stocks, the major point being this only began after the 'Exxon & Castrol' incidents. So, per the BITOG posse, trying discern truths from marketing blather is a never-ending ordeal!

Well, the confusing factor is that the science of all those base stocks (and additives, and how they work together) has progressed since the days when the only base stocks that could possibly be considered "synthetic" were PAO and Ester. PAO doesn't carry anti-wear additives as well as a modern group III+ base stock like SOPUS' (now older) XVHI, their current GTL, or XOM's Visom. Ester has its own issues (low TBN, for example).

Mixing PAO, group III+, and ester base stocks to get an end product with the benefits of each one seems perfectly viable to me, and there's no way I would ever argue that a group III+ stock is not "synthetic." Doesn't matter if it starts out as crude oil feed or natural gas feed. In either case, there's no way to get it by simply cracking the feedstock the way you get conventional basestocks- you HAVE to start rearranging molecules to your liking, and as far as I'm concerned that's the very definition of 'synthetic.' It makes good advertising press to say "oooh, look- we start out with a GAS and it becomes a LIQUID- ohhh, that's super pure and advanced! Gas turning into liquid oil!" But its just marketing glam. Whether those carbon and hydrogen atoms were once in natural gas or once in heavy crude doesn't matter in the end, because atoms have no memory.

Originally Posted By: LubricatusObsess
tig1,

We are probably splitting hairs, and I'd be ashamed to say that SOPUS Marketing has some influence over me, but I will say I never bought Pennzoil prior to SOPUS's buyout!

laugh.gif

Truth be told... me either. :) But I'll claim that its not so much that SOPUS improved the product (though they probably did), its that technology marches on and SOPUS provided the resources to keep the Pennzoil and QS product lines at or near the front of the advancing technology.

+1. It all comes from the ground.

Excellent questions LubricatusObsess!

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oils offer clear differentiation and performance claims to offer consumers complete protection for their engine. Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology is a first of its kind synthetic motor oil blended with a pure, crystal-clear base oil made from natural gas.

With regard to the Base Oil:

1. PurePlus Technology is the Shell branded name for our revolutionary gas-to-liquid (GTL) process that converts pure natural gas into the first-of-its-kind synthetic base oil used in the Pennzoil Platinum line of products.
2. This PurePlus base oil has fewer of the impurities found in crude oil, the start for many other traditional and synthetic motor oils.
3. PurePlus Technology is a complex process that uses a modified Fischer–Tropsch reaction to convert natural gas into liquid hydrocarbons.
4. Resulting PurePlus base oils are crystal clear and 99.5% pure - because they made from natural gas, our base oils have virtually none of the impurities found in crude oils

In fact, PurePlus Base Oil is considered a Group III, full synthetic, base oil based on the API 1509 classification system. For example, Group I means “conventional, solvent refined” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group II means “hydroprocessed/hydrocracked” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group III means “all hydroprocessing/hydrocracking + isomerization” base oil (which is considered synthetic); Group III can also mean “Gas to Liquids (GtL), which is what the Shell PurePlus products are made from (immensely simplified, GtL means: “from Natural Gas/Methane to hydrocracker to base oil”)(which is also considered synthetic); Group IV means Poly Alpha Olefin/PAO” base oil (considered synthetic). Group V means “everything else” (like vegetable oil, PAG synthetics, Ester synthetics, naphthenic mineral oils, etc.)

With regard to the additives:
Today’s PCMO motor oils contain somewhere between 18-23% additives…so, you can have the greatest base oil, but if you couple it with a mediocre additive package, you will have a mediocre finished product! Hence, the “PurePlus” name refers to: Gas to Liquids “Pure” base oil + the most advanced “Plus” additive package = the most advanced synthetic motor oil on the market today!

We developed our PurePlus Technology, with the consumer in mind and providing them Complete Protection, without compromise.Complete Protection includes these five key consumer benefits:

1. Cleaner pistons (for example: Based on pistons from standard V6 engine in ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30 - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner, and Pennzoil Platinum keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner)
2. Better fuel economy (for example: In the US, the Pennzoil Platinum line of motor oils with PurePlus Technology allows consumers to drive on average an extra 550 miles per year versus a dirty engine. Using the industry standard CAFÉ cycle under FTP 75, clean engines running with Pennzoil Platinum line of synthetic motor oils provide 4.1% better MPG vs. a dirty engine based on mixed city/highway miles. Given the US average of 13,476 miles driven per year (Source fhwa.dot.gov, 2011), Pennzoil Platinum-clean engines allow consumers to drive on average an extra 550 miles per year versus a dirty engine.)
3. Protects horsepower (for example: Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum help protect engines from loss of power. Sludge build-up can cause engines to perform at less than optimal efficiency, reducing horsepower over time. Pennzoil Platinum products help keep engines clean and therefore help protect horsepower.)
4. Unsurpassed wear protection (for example: based on Sequence IVA wear testing using SAE 5W30 - Pennzoil Platinum provides unsurpassed wear protection. In fact, no other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction.)
5. Excellent extreme temperature performance (for example: Oils formulated with PurePlus Technology have consistently lower viscosity at low temperatures , even at –40°F. PurePlus Technology contributes to better low-temperature viscosity and hence easier start-up. In addition, Engines are designed to operate around 212°F (the boiling point of water). Some engines may operate as high as 230°F, and certain engine parts, like the piston skirt, can reach up to 400°F. Pennzoil Platinum products show strong oil stability at high temperature, where Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum do not unduly degrade under extreme heat.)

Please feel free to give us a call at the Pennzoil Technical Hotline if you would like to discuss further, LubricatusObsess - 1.800.237.8645, prompt 3 then 2. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back