Hellacious replacement seal - 4L60E filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear, everytime I change the tranny fluid in my Silverado I swear I'm not going to go through the hassle of replacing that small seal that goes inside the transmission (into which the transmission filter neck fits). That thing is the biggest PIA to get out. This past time I marred the soft transmission metal trying to get that seal out. Next time I think I'm going to just leave it in. I can't think why I couldn't just swap out the filter, that rubber seams pretty robust.

That's what I did...I assessed that I was more likely to hurt something.

A mate has a proper seal puller that I din't know about last time I was in there.

Unless you have puller, Leave it be, It is a very robust seal, I have never seen one harden up.....Even in a 250,000 mile neglected unit that has be real hot. You run a greater risk of damaging the Pump Bore removing the seal.

I replaced it once poorly, not fully inserted. I installed an OE one the last time properly, using a socket to help press it in. Not planning to pull that one out again...

When I changed my filter, I left the seal in there and the filter fit so tight, I had to tap it in place with a rubber mallot.

Changed my seal 3 times:

first time,
last time,
never again ...

Made me sooooo happy I put in the drain plug and spin on remote !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back