Helicopter parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
CBD - trust is not something you just give 100% to someone. Trust has to be earned...

Schmoe - Exactly, your daughter earns your trust by following your rules. As time goes on, more and more freedom can be given - it is a test - to see if those same rules will be kept when there is an opportunity to do otherwise.

Exactly. I couldn't have stated this any better. That's exactly how my family worked. As kids, we worked to maintain our parents' trust. We respected and feared them (in the biblical sense of the word fear) because they lived their words. As parents, they gave us the freedom to make our own decisions unless we broke their trust. I even did a few things that by all means should have broken their trust, but didn't. That fact alone was what set me straight.

Regarding leading by example, and I'll use the alcohol example that's already been brought up, I believe that my goal as a parent is to teach responsibility above all else. With most kids, you can't enforce a strict anti-alcohol policy with society the way it is today. If you want to try, great, but you'd better not touch a drop yourself or they won't follow your words. My intention is to show him responsible drinking at home. He'll be able to drink before he's 21 (a ridiculously high age IMO) so long as it's done at home with family and he doesn't abuse it. If he goes too far, he'll be cut off and we'll start over. This way alcohol won't be treated as a taboo, which removes the allure that causes a lot of teens to abuse it. He'll know how to be responsible and it won't be a big deal, since his parents allow him to do it at home occasionally and won't get upset as long as he makes the right decisions.

By way of example, my mom's father always insisted she go to church on Sunday, but never went himself. Guess what? She stopped going once she moved out. Her and my dad started going again when they were expecting me and always went to church with us. As a result, I've never stopped going to church. That's how it works.

Pablo, I have one 8 month old boy with a second child planned for the future, but, as you can tell, I've put a lot of thought into this already. My opinions are largely based on the way my parents raised me and, for the record, I think they did a great job.

You will find kids of all styles. Last time I checked my kids are humans (I think) and have wide variability in personality style. Even some siblings are very different and I mean VERY.

Hers's a small lesson (in advance): No formula will work for all kids. Your magic could work GREAT on your first kid and the second one could buck every thing and never build a bond. Believe me it happens.

I'll be the first to say that most of the juvenile rapscalions and crazy kids have very poor home lives, never built a bond with much of anybody, were never told NO at the age of 1 (or younger), or just plain were ignored. However this does not mean some kid that goes bad is repaying the parent for not trusting them - believe me some rotten kids have parents that are very "trusting"......

For the most part, the apple doesn't fall far from the horse. That belief was reaffirmed yesterday when I, in a spontaneous fit of insanity, decided to stop by at K-Mart. Trogs and their trog spawn were roaming freely. They all deserved each other.
tongue.gif

Formula???? Here's one: Beat them with love. The fear of the belt has a lot of power by them just knowing it's there and the Dad (me) isn't afraid to use it. Matt, with all do respect, you got a long way to go with the 8 month old boy. A lot of things you have already thought out on behavior and behavior modification that you learned or witnessed through your parents just ain't going to work. It's a whole new ball game. These are different times. I have a 17 year old son and a 2.8 year old daughter and already I know some things just won't work, and it's not because of the gender issue either. Face it ya'll, parenting is a lot of failures with few positives and rewards. I think the trick is not making those failures grandiose and the rewards are the ones you didn't even plan. Now, it's not the failure of being a bad person, but rather the expectations we place on them and ourselves. GEEEESHHH, why is this parenting thing so dog-diggity hard? Why? Because we CARE.

Schmoe, I respect your opinions and I certainly defend your right to hold them, even if we disagree on certain points. For instance, physical punishments were rarely used or even threatened in my house. They just weren't necessary most of the time. It seems you and I both turned out fine, though, which is really what counts. I completely agree that every kid is different (my brother and I are perfect examples of that) and I'll certainly do what's right for my son and his future sibling as their personality dictates. The essence of what I want to teach will remain the same, however, even if the methods differ. I'm getting a feeling already for what will and won't work with my son and I expect him to challenge me. I'm looking forward to that challenge, though, and the opportunities it will present.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a GPS phone would help that much. Sure you can make sure that your kid is at his friend's house like he said, but you don't know if they're holding hands and singing Kumbayah or drinking and smoking dope. It's useful in a worst-case scenario like an abduction, but the more everyday problems aren't going to be solved by Motorola.

Thanks, OH21. I'd also like to add one more thing: lead by example. I don't think there's anything more important a parent can do. You can preach until you're blue in the face, but if your actions don't correspond with your words, your kids will ignore everything you have to say.

Yeah Matt, don't get me wrong, these are all open opinions expressed by myself...one thing I got to love about BITOG. I, by all means, am not one to tell folks what will work and what won't. Had my fair share of mistakes. But what makes me think I'm pretty well grounded is that I was raised by an alcoholic, my way or the highway and womanizing father. Somehow, someway I haven't followed his footsteps and no "mother-figure" around during those growing years either and we were in Germany during the late 60's and 70's with no American TV and lived off post. I look back and think of all the wasted oppurtunities that Dad could have had instead of drinking and chasing skirts, but he was the way he was. I think my insight on parenting will be the "I know what WON'T work" rather than what will work.

Anyone that can overcome a demon like alcoholism certainly has my respect, especially the children of alcoholics. That disease spans generations far too easily. I consider myself very lucky that my father overcame that and made sure that my and my siblings and I didn't have that problem. What's better is that he overcame his addiction before I ever had any memories of his drunkenness. He also has helped many other people achieve sobriety and attempted to help many more (you HAVE to want to straighten up deep inside).

When I look back on the decisions he and my mother made, I find much more right than wrong. I still try to make my own decisions, but I'm fortunate to have a good example to follow. In your case, I'd think you'd almost HAVE to question everything your father did in order to avoid tainting your kids' upbringing. I think the key in either case is to place the kids' interest before your own.

When I speak about letting kids make their own mistakes, I refer to the time I came home drunk from a fraternity event. What my dad did was absolutely brilliant in retrospect. He was waiting up for me and when I came in the door all he did was hug me and tell me he loved me. He walked me into my bedroom and never said another word. When we had breakfast the next morning, I was fully expecting a lecture but my parents carried on like nothing ever happened. I know full well that he knew I was drunk and the fact that he didn't say anything about it was what really got to me. I never got that drunk again and started to separate myself from the fraternity, which removed a lot of the temptation to drink.

Personally, I don't know if I'll ever run into a situation where what he did will be the right course of action. It shows, however, that just being there for support and letting kids make their own mistakes can be the best thing. I intend to do things a little differently with my own kids, as I described above, in order to try to help them avoid situations where they're likely to get themselves as plastered as I got.

Maybe it was that, I can't remember exactly but it did have a V8. Having to loosen the motor mounts to change the plugs was a PITA.
Amen to that Matt. Wow. I think if I'd come home snookered, Dad would have either congratulated me or killed me, one or the other. I'll have to remember that if that happens with one of my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back