Helicopter losing its load

Happened earlier this year in Oakland, California. I guess it was the easiest way to bring these large HVAC units to the roof of a building to be installed. At least it gave out early.

Did a cable break or was there a mechanical problem with the helicopter? When the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel was built in Atlanta a helicopter was used to put the HVAC unit in place on the roof. The transmission warning light lit up and the pilot dropped the unit on the grass median on I-75/I-85. That would have been an exciting time to drive through town.

Did a cable break or was there a mechanical problem with the helicopter? When the Westin Peachtree Plaza hotel was built in Atlanta a helicopter was used to put the HVAC unit in place on the roof. The transmission warning light lit up and the pilot dropped the unit on the grass median on I-75/I-85. That would have been an exciting time to drive through town.

There aren't really too many articles about it after the incident. But it seemed to be the cable snapped.

Cables used for lifting are suppose to be routinely inspected, load tested and certified. Who knows how the guys in charge operated their business in terms of safety.

Maybe Juan Brown will do one of his magnificent videos on the accident report.

Back