Heavy smoke after sitting for 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I parked my 2000 Golf TDI for 3 months approximately. The car was running very well before I parked it and smoked very little.

After sitting, I was getting ready to re-insure it and put it back on the road, but now it smokes heavily and it does not seem to go away. Still starts easily.

Any ideas as to what it causing the smoke?

Thanks!

Yeah, what color?
Have you thought of driving it carefully to get it to even operating temperature and see what happens ? If it makes no funny noise and fluids are not missing or leaking away (coolant?) i would have done that

The reason I ask is the same thing happened to my buddy's Kia Rio after it sat for over a year. He always kept the needle close to E so after about 30 minutes of idling the smoking issue went away. Start by using all the old fuel and refilling it with fresh gas/diesel and go from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Have you burned through the old gas yet?
It's a diesel. 3 months is nothing for diesel fuel, after 10 years is when I'd start to worry.

Post over on www.tdiclub.com, they're the TDI experts and where I always went for my TDI issues

Is the turbo a fixed vein turbo or vvt? If the latter then it's possible the turbo rusted and is sticking

did you give it an italian tuneup? I found my mercedes does that. I gotta take out and blow all that [censored] out on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
A little 'jail time' ?

No jail time
smirk.gif

I just decided to drive my truck instead for a while, but the fuel burn is no fun after a while and I am ready to go back to my dielsel.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
Have you burned through the old gas yet?
It's a diesel. 3 months is nothing for diesel fuel, after 10 years is when I'd start to worry.

Post over on www.tdiclub.com, they're the TDI experts and where I always went for my TDI issues

Just did - thank you!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Is the turbo a fixed vein turbo or vvt? If the latter then it's possible the turbo rusted and is sticking

You have me worried - I actually don't think I hear the turbine spooling up. Have not driven the car yet though.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Rodent nest in the air filter housing??

I'm getting a lot of rodent comments over on the TDI forum - definitely not something I had thought of before!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Yeah check air filter. Turbo won't spool much unless you are revving/driving it. Diesel can sit for a very very long time. Personally I'd check fluids n air filter and take it for a drive, get it nice n hot.

Did it pop a cel?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflop
Yeah check air filter. Turbo won't spool much unless you are revving/driving it. Diesel can sit for a very very long time. Personally I'd check fluids n air filter and take it for a drive, get it nice n hot.

Did it pop a cel?

no cel - yet.
There are some additional issues that I need to address before I can take it back on the road. Right now it is not licensed.

how old is the oil and fuel? Depending on the color is seems like water or moisture in either. I would throw in some diesel 911 (or the white bottle (power services makes it.) Fill it up with fresh fuel and if that doesn't work change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back