Heat vs vibration on batteries

East Penn made batteries, and at least one solar maintainer (my CTD Ram used t have TWO, one for each battery). Thank me later (like at least 4-5 years later)! Unless you're in the desert Southwest...
You live in Ohio... probably hits 85-90 tops for maybe a month or two up there.

I've seen a bad battery ruin a new one on a dual system in short order.
Yeah I'd say the other good one is probably bad too or will be shortly. It's got quite the voltage drop even at 75 degrees outside. Normally I don't notice a bad battery until winter

I've seen a bad battery ruin a new one on a dual system in short order.
Right. You can have all kinds of odd things going on because of the differences in impedance and capacity. One will always end up under or overcharged, one could circulate current to the other, etc.

Makes for problematic scenarios.

Right. You can have all kinds of odd things going on because of the differences in impedance and capacity. One will always end up under or overcharged, one could circulate current to the other, etc.

Makes for problematic scenarios.
If you catch it on time, wouldn't it not really matter? Usually all the voltage sensitive systems do a second bulb check on my truck and that's how I know a battery is bad

If you catch it on time, wouldn't it not really matter? Usually all the voltage sensitive systems do a second bulb check on my truck and that's how I know a battery is bad
It’s the mismatch between batteries. If one has less capacity, and the other doesn’t, they can interact. If they’re way off one could overcharge, gas, dry out.

Right now batteries in general seem to be junk. We had so much trouble at my work with battery mart batteries that I switched to orileys. Those are worse! I'm seeing their 2 and 3 year batteries failing in 4-6 months over and over.

That’s an insane failure rate. I don’t have the data but while I do feel like over the past 8 years I’m warranting out younger and younger batteries but compared to how many we sell every day it’s still a tiny percentage. We also do get many customers in with Super Starts that lasted 5+ years. Even 7+ which always impresses me.

Last edited:
Replacing in pairs is for real. Here’s why, the weaker battery will ever so slightly hold a lower voltage. Since they are connected together, the weaker one will quietly drag the stronger one down to its same level of weakness every night. this spurs the sulfation process forward and the new battery experiences accelerated aging. You don’t want to tie a fresh battery with an old one.

I had a new battery installed by BATTRIES PLUS. The installer removed the insulating shield from around the battery, stating it only hurts the batteries life. I educated him stating the insulation was there to stop hot air blowing from blowing on the battery. Not sure he comprehended. Ed

I had a new battery installed by BATTRIES PLUS. The installer removed the insulating shield from around the battery, stating it only hurts the batteries life. I educated him stating the insulation was there to stop hot air blowing from blowing on the battery. Not sure he comprehended. Ed
I ran mine without it because it fell apart, then replaced it the next time the batteries were changed. No change in battery life

Thought the guy at autozone was trying to pull a fast one on me. Turns out their was a bunch of corrosion on the terminals and his tester wouldn't test. Anyways, i guess him removing the terminals and knocking some of the corrosion off fixed the issue. Testing it running again and both batteries were at 13.9v (it was dark when I first tested them.) Didn't see the corrosion.

Back