Headlight restoration kits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone would ever get satisfactory answers to 'what's the best...?' type of questions.

Anyway: Here are amazon's best sellers in the category:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/automotive/2687788011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_auto_2_3_last

3M seems to have the most popularity and positive reviews right now: (needs a drill) (have no personal experience)
http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight...ds=3m+headlight

I have had good but temporary results with Crystal View (lasts about 6-7 months)...(less involved than the 3M but probably lasts shorter - can be done by hand though):
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-View-Chemi...+view+headlight

My experience with the CV product:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1193779

Last edited:
The wetsanding approach seems to have nearly 100% success, but you have to continually keep them waxed or sealed since wetsanding removes factory anti-UV coatings. You could also have clear bra put over the headlamps afterwords too.

I use Mothers powerball and it usually lasts about a year.

It's actually best to clearcoat it with 2K Urethane after minimal buffing but I never did it. The 2K clearcoat is supposed to make it lasts for several years. I guess I was too lazy to spray.

All the kits are basically phase 2. Phase 1 is 1500-2000 wet sanding. Then use the kit if you want, or just buff it. Check youtube for "DIY: Polishing Your Foggy Plastic Headlights". Explains it better. I've done maybe 20 so far, some are 3 years old and still look good.

Colgate makes a good one crest does to. Yes toothpaste works very well. Try it its cheap.

Just about any headlight kit will clean, the problem is keeping it from yellowing.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Just about any headlight kit will clean, the problem is keeping it from yellowing.

As I said, you need to wetsand (remove all the pitting/scratches/oxidation) and then apply something like a clear bra, Xpel, or LaminX. Those are anti-UV.

I replaced headlights with aftermarket new ones 3+ years ago,the replacements are clear and still like new.No potmarks either.Very good light pattern as well...I wouldnt do a quick fix and try to buy 6 months on worn out headlights.These $20-50 kits are basically money poorly spent.Save the money for new assemblies and enjoy 6-8 years of good lights.

I think NHGUY might have a point.
I used the rain-x kit, worked okay but needed something better. So I used a kit from autodetailingsolutions which used meg's products plus wetsand. Used the coating solution from the rain-x kit. Worked well but does not last even when waxed. I have not tried recoating with urethane, however.

The Turtle Wax kit is about $10, easy to get. You need a couple of levels of abrasiveness. Which it has. And the new kits I believe have a sealer. I myself would avoid a power driven one until I have gotten some experience. Given multiple levels of abrasiveness, not sure power is needed. You may end up doing it and then in a month decide to do it some more. Need to look at it from different angles to get a good idea.

Can you feel the sun damage with your finger? Of just notice it looking?

Originally Posted By: joaks
I think NHGUY might have a point.
I used the rain-x kit, worked okay but needed something better. So I used a kit from autodetailingsolutions which used meg's products plus wetsand. Used the coating solution from the rain-x kit. Worked well but does not last even when waxed. I have not tried recoating with urethane, however.

I agree if you can get good quality replacements. I chose to go replacement for a Mustang and the fit was OK but the quality wasn't there

For my Wife's caravan I just did a progressive sanding of 5-6 grits and then a polish compound and an orbital buffer. I then used the the clear sealer in the Duplicolor Headlight kit.

As others mentioned it's easy to get them cleaned up but hard to protect. I tested the Krylon Clear UV coating and the Duplicolor (from the MSDS it's a Sherwin Williams clear). The Krylon didnt hold up to UV well.

Surprisingly few DIY inexpensive UV clears

Check out the new Mother's restore kit. For $20 it comes with 2 pads, each side has a different grit for sanding. It's meant for horrible housings, but I can't tell you how long it will last as I just did it last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back