HDD Caution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this any cause for concern? These same cautions have been there for more than a year now.

HDD_caution.png

Seagate has a diagnostic utility. See if you can fire it and have it run a long test.
Has the raw data (7) been going up on those, staying steady, or have you not noticed?

Last edited:
If you have important data on it, it is better to backup first. The harddrive seems steadily near EOL, so higher chance to have problem retrieving your data successfully. With current cheap HDD price, better spend to change the drive if you can not afford any lost data in it.

I'd pre-emptively replace it before it fails. It's normal for hard drives to have bad sectors and to then reallocate good ones to take up the slack. But yours seems to be on the ragged edge of what's deemed acceptable.

it has 7 unreadable sectors pending reallocation.
they will be reallocated(swapped with spares)next time they are written to.back it up just in case.it may live forever like this or could die right now.probably caused by a power blip but you never know....

Always sound to back up important stuff... I believe we had discussed HD size on here before and in reality some smaller drive sizes are actually larger capacity drives that had bad sectors that were re-allocated. The bad ones were permanently ignored/not used and these drives sold as new.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Has the raw data (7) been going up on those, staying steady, or have you not noticed?

It's been steady. Last screen shot I took was over 1 year ago when the "Power on hours" was at 3806 and at that time the raw data was at "7" as well.

I do periodic backups of course as this is my main PC at home.

7 seems ok, like others said it could be dead tomorrow or it could last forever till you want something faster. I have a drive that has 418 reallocated sectors and it has been fine for years, but my coworkers have the same batch of drives and 1/2 of them are dead within months.

If you can't afford downtime, replace this drive. If it is just a drive to store a few useless stuff (i.e. buffer large workload that will be backed up elsewhere, swap file, etc), then that's probably ok.

Back in "the day", before drive management strategies became standard, I remember discs running for years even though the amount of "bad sectors" found during formats slowly but steadily increased over time.

Of course, I don't think any of them were spinning at 7,200-10k RPM. With auto-correcting drives, we don't see these sector failures up-front anymore.

I am sold on RAID 1 drive enclosures. Its close to impossible to loose data with RAID 1 unless there is a fire. You can also just let a bad drive go until it fails, replace the drive and you have lost nothing. The extra cost is minimal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am sold on RAID 1 drive enclosures. Its close to impossible to loose data with RAID 1 unless there is a fire. You can also just let a bad drive go until it fails, replace the drive and you have lost nothing. The extra cost is minimal.

Oh, there are many ways to loose data with a RAID. If a virus decides to write all zeros to your RAID, you have have nothing.
If a power supply fries the control circuitry, bye bye data.
Still a good idea to back up, and store it somewhere else, which will minimize the fire risk as well.
I back up my RAID 5 weekly to an encrypted 2TB drive.

Last edited:
I am sold on RAID 1 drive enclosures. Its close to impossible to loose data with RAID 1 ...

Until there's a power error that kill both drives at once. Chinese capacitors without border.

As you may have already read from others, RAID only protects you against SINGLE DRIVE FAILURES. Most RAID systems can lose data if there is more than one fault.

Or if there is human error such as deleting the wrong file. With a RAID1 solution the file is deleted on both halves of the mirror.

RAID helps you survive single component failures, but isn't a total solution for data protection. It's a useful tool, but not the only one needed.

I back up my data to an off site location 2x each day. Even so, I can lose data if it's not backed up before a failure, deletion, etc. Nothing wrong with RAID as long as you understand the risks and are willing to live with them.

Never been a fan of Seagate Harddrives, especially after I had the same model fail 5 times in a row within 3 years requiring RMA. I gave up after the last time. Hooray for Western Digital!

Untitled-3.jpg

I never had a problem with Seagates until the 7200.11 series. They were all I bought for awhile, and in fact I have a 7200.8 with over 40000 hours on it.

Samsung drives have come a long way in the past few years. I have one in my home computer. I need to run diagnostics on it to find out specs. Quieter than WD blue label.

The Seagate .11 series, I had problems with. WD and Samsungs are what I recommend to people. Although I like the Seagate's 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back