HD Primary and Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is do I have to use Harley's primary fluid or can I just use something like 10w40 oil. My trans I use Belray 85w140 Hyphoid Gear Saver oil. Has any one used it?

I'm running B&M Trick Shift in the primary on my 09 Super Glide. I think Harley's Formula+ is just too thick for the primary.

bandmtransmissionatf.jpg

As for the transmission, any good gear oil will do. I'm using Super Tech 75w140 full synthetic.

You can use 10w40 in the primary or a 15w40 HDEO like rotella. The BelRay gear oils are very good and have been successfully used in HD transmissions for many years. HD Formula+ is a 50w oil.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas I am going to put the Rotella in the Primary. I figure if it is good enough to run in those High pressure Diesel engines it should be fine in a Primary. G-man I was Holding the Supertech fluid in my hand the other day I really thought of putting it in my 01 Heritage

Rotella has worked very well in the primary of my 1994 Low Rider also...

I often just get a quart of 10W40 though, when I can find it cheaper than Rotella. The Napa oils are made by Valvoline, and don't have much if any moly in them (if that's a concern).

As for the gear box, it's hard to beat Mobil 1 75W90. But I must admit, this last service I was out of Mobil 1 and I put in some standard Valvoline 80W90... we'll see how it does. :) I'll probably not leave it in there more than a couple thousand miles...

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man

put in some standard Valvoline 80W90... we'll see how it does. :) I'll probably not leave it in there more than a couple thousand miles...

Dan

Why? It will go the full season no problem. Harley transmissions are not very hard on gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back