B : 5
Na: 7

Water: Glycol Index: PQ Index: 34
Nitration Index: 10.9
Si/Al ratio: 7
Vis @ 40°C: 62 cSt

How does it look?

[ February 23, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: JB ]

Fine. The Iron is not worth writing home about but with colder weather and possibly driving conditions-which we don't know (lots of short trips? ). Same with the lead, but certainly OK. Again depends on the engine-which is out of my league. A professional can equate these values with type of engine. Oil held up well. Solid 30 wt (no shearing-apparently). Silicon(dirt) is good. Wow-lots of Moly
shocked.gif

Not sure about the scales here:

PQ Index: 34
Nitration Index: 10.9

[ February 23, 2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

The moly is part of the oil's additive. One of the websites says Havoline Energy has molybdenum dithiocarbamate. See the FAQ at: http://www.havolineenergy.com

Sorry don't have numbers for vis @ 100°C.

Strange thing about the tested vis @ 40°C, which is 62. According to the spec sheet (virgin oil) the vis @ 40°C = 53.8. How can the oil go up?

sprintman: I'm now using this oil in a Proton/Mitsubishi and monitoring fuel economy over 5,000 kms (to smooth out the variations). So far it's given me slightly better mileage.

[ February 23, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: JB ]

quote:

Originally posted by JB:
The moly is part of the oil's additive. One of the websites says Havoline Energy has molybdenum dithiocarbamate. See the FAQ at: http://www.havolineenergy.com

Sorry don't have numbers for vis @ 100°C.

Strange thing about the tested vis @ 40°C, which is 62. According to the spec sheet (virgin oil) the vis @ 40°C = 53.8. How can the oil go up?

This is totally normal. An oil will generally thicken up at the 40c viscosity, and thin out at the 100c viscosity as it ages. Most 5w30 conventional oils end up being 10w20 or possibly even 15w20 by the time they are finished up. At least until oxidation sets in and then they start to thicken up at 100c again. But they won't then start to thin out at 40c though. The reason it's thickening at the low end is the depletion of the pour point depressants.

Aha... that explains a lot. Thanks Patman.

Say, does anyone think 760 is a lot of moly to be in the oil? Don't most oils have a lot less?

The Havoline line clearly likes Moly. All their dino oils have loads of it and this Energy oil, which is found in Asia has over 700ppm of it. Clearly good stuff.

Have your friend consider a 5W40 and I think these numbers will look better. The lead is high for only 2790 miles!

There are a few versions available here (4 litre bottle):

Caltex Havoline Fully Synthetic 5w40 - S$84
Caltex Havoline Energy Synthetic 5w30 - S$84
Caltex Havoline Energy 5w30 - S$62

All seriously overpriced. S$62 for a dino oil is absolutely ridiculous, even if it does have 760ppm of Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back