Have you ever added water to the car battery?

Just for clarity, since I know some who might read this post might confuse them. Bottled drinking water is NOT distilled water. Bottled water comes from many sources but one thing they have in common is added or naturally included salts and minerals. That is what gives it taste.

A Distilled water container will clearly say distilled and you would not find it drinkable - the lack of minerals makes it taste horrible. Distilled water is surprisingly corrosive to metals and glass at elevated temperatures.

I have two 6 year old Everstart Maxx batteries that have removable tops and I’ve maintained them with distilled water once a year. I used the old school technique of filling until the reflection looked “ upside down” due to the split ring.

I haven’t checked the local Walmart to see if they are now all maintenance-free. The latest battery I bought was a maintenance-free one from Motomaster at Canadian Tire.

Maintenance-free batteries came out a long time ago, but then manufacturers started making batteries with removable caps again but that may have gone full circle and we’re back to predominantly maintenance-free batteries again.

Last edited:
The OE Battery in our 2015 Subaru Forester was flooded cell. I topped it off a few times while it was in service.

Years ago I use to top em off with distilled water but I haven't had a non sealed battery in quite a few years.

I have found that "sealed" batteries are often not "sealed." Take Everstart from Walmart as an example. The large sticker on top is easy to remove, carefully (so it can be reapplied). There are six individual pop-off caps underneath the sticker. I trimmed the sticker on mine so that when I replaced it the caps are not covered back up. After close to two years the battery did not need any water added.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
yup, I still monitor.
minimum bat life over here (I do other bat maintenance procedures too) is 8 yrs (usually 10). Agreed, distilled only. Never added the acid. I DO recondition batteries (@ 10 + yrs usually - wont holda charge) w/my stick welder. Dangerous but acceptable w/the conditions prepared and knowledge in hand.

ALL may change as I'm moving into AGMs and need to get upto snuff w/this tech. 1st thing I bought/mounted a NOCO as my trickle did not do these type bats Am becoming informed but think it's good. After I may try lithium (not an early adopter of anything).

On installing a new battery, I follow the commissioning procedure to the letter to minimize the life. (It does make a difference!) I also periodically check the battery for fluid level and add distilled water as needed if the level is getting close to exposing the plates. I will then place it on the appropriate charge - Wet or AGM. (Not played with lithium yet). Like others I have opened the caps on "sealed" batteries too, adding distilled water if needed.

If the plates are exposed, that is NOT good, to my understanding, although I have never got to this point. I check the levels periodically, and more frequently in the later life of the battery. Motorcycle batteries and secondary batteries (Mercedes) often have clear plastic cases so easy to check levels, sealed or not.

I had to add distilled water to the deep cycle marine battery for my backup sump pump. It had been installed for about 5 years. Battery still tests good. Since the original charger got lost while the house was being built, I've been using a batteryminder to charge it.

I have but they have only ever needed a tiny bit - probably really not any. All my current batteries have tops that pry off - even though its not particularly obvios. 2 Everstarts that pry off and a Japanese Battery that came new with my Toyota with plugs that screw out.

Not so much anymore with modern electronic charging systems. Us old guys who remember mechanical voltage regulators it was part of normal maintenance. At the Esso station we had the dedicated Atlas battery filler jug with the push on auto fill cap that filled with no overfill.

1984 Chevy Cavalier, mom drove it from Virginia to Illinois in the summer of 1989, was parked in a shopping center in Illinois when she started it, the battery blew one of it's vent covers off as soon as she turned the key. (It was a Johnson Controls battery with the ganged vent caps, one for each of 3 cells).

I was only about 12 years old at the time, but I do recall that the mechanic who looked at it said that the battery was low on water, so probably a spark ignited some hydrogen gas and boom. This is more likely when the plates are exposed due to the battery being low on water.

A new battery fixed the problem.

I have that 1984 Chevy Cavalier now, inherited it from my dad when he passed away, and the charging voltage doesn't seem excessive, and the alternator with it's internal regulator appears to be the original. (I had to put a new battery in it since it had been sitting for 10 years).

So how did this battery lose enough water to go boom?

Was it manufactured with lead/antimony plates instead of lead/calcium plates? I don't know much about what was on the market in 1988, but seems like lead/antimony "low maintenance" batteries were more common than lead/calcium "maintenance free" batteries back then.

Being a GM vehicle, it would have wanted a lead/calcium "maintenance free" battery. And you'd think a side terminal battery would have been made that way, even back in 1988.

Last edited:
Years ago? Regularly. We have 6V batteries in some of the boats that required cell maintenance, even had a few 12V ones that had removable tops that we'd check. The golf cart also had cells that needed to be maintained.

The 1st sealed battery here was a Delco with the green eye indicator which would show state of charge IIRC. Excessive need of water usually indicates the batterys demise.

There have been batteries with the green eye indicator with removeable vent caps. I think some Ford OE batteries were like this, made by Johnson Controls.

Aftermarket batteries never seem to have the eye, probably because it's viewed as a needless expense.

Just curious, if one needs to add water to the battery? I have an old (Kirkland) battery that works fine, but being old (8 YO) battery, I am not too sure if I should check and add water in it. Is there any rule of thumb for checking and adding water?

This car gets a 50 mile run daily, half highway, half city driving, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Use DISTILLED water only

I add water every 8 years, whether it needs it or not 😂

Actually, yes even the latest “maintenance free” batteries with caps will be low on water after like 18-24 months. I usually check about every year or so. Some cells will be down a few ounces.

Back