Have I picked the correct fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the fluid in my MT and Xfer case in my '99 Toyota Tacoma V6 3.4L. The manual says this requires:

API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W90

From what I've read here, GL-5 is a no-no in MTs - so I'm considering Redline MT-90 GL-4 75W90. This seems to be one of the only GL-4's that are readily available (Amazon). Before I "add to cart", does this sound ok to the experts here?

If it gives you the choice,isn`t GL4 the "proper" choice,and GL5 is ok to use if no GL4 is available? I`d go with the Redline MT90.

Originally Posted By: KurtJ
I want to change the fluid in my MT and Xfer case in my '99 Toyota Tacoma V6 3.4L. The manual says this requires:

API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W90

From what I've read here, GL-5 is a no-no in MTs

GL-5 is only bad in transmissions that spec GL-4. If yours specs GL-4 OR GL-5, I would think GL-5 wouldn't be so bad.

However...
Originally Posted By: KurtJ
- so I'm considering Redline MT-90 GL-4 75W90. This seems to be one of the only GL-4's that are readily available (Amazon). Before I "add to cart", does this sound ok to the experts here?

I'd say this sounds like a good idea.
thumbsup2.gif

Late on the reply, but just for moral support: I agree on the MT-90. I replaced the fluid in my Corolla's 5-speed from the OEM to Redline MT-90 and it was vastly improved.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Late on the reply, but just for moral support: I agree on the MT-90. I replaced the fluid in my Corolla's 5-speed from the OEM to Redline MT-90 and it was vastly improved.

Thanks for the support. Assume from your nickname you are a VT grad - if so, me too.

What year is your Corolla and how did the OEM fluid look? I bought my truck used at ~70k miles and never changed these fluids - so they could be OEM. I peaked at the transfer case fluid yesterday (175k miles) and it was surprisingly light colored (like maple syrup), but I bet its viscosity is well degraded.

Last edited:
Plus,GL5 has limited slip additives,which might make the shifting quality not be as good as it would be with a GL4.

In the future, for Redline's advice on what product is best for your vehicle......

Go to www.redlineoil.com
At in the tabs at the top......to the right.....click on "Application Guide" and enter your vehicle information.

A window will open that lists the recommended products for your vehicle.
If you have a special driving situation, or modifications, you can call them and talk to them for advice.
However, the application guide is a very good starting point.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Plus,GL5 has limited slip additives,which might make the shifting quality not be as good as it would be with a GL4.

Not all GL5 has limited slip additives.

What GL5 has over GL4 is more extreme pressure additives.
wink.gif

Toyota recommends gear oil changes so frequently that a GL-5 would not have adequate time for the EP additives to become destabilized. BG's Ultraguard 75w90 is a GL-5 that is stated to be compatible with GL-4 applications. We put it in an 06 Corolla the other day during its 30k gear oil swap (manufacturer change interval).

I put the Redline MT-90 in the MT and xfer case of the Tacoma this weekend. Went well and seems to shift fine.

Also changed out the rear diff fluid with Valvoline 80W90 GL-5 gear oil (local ABC Auto had it in stock). The fill and drain plugs on the rear diff were extremely difficult to unscrew. Rounded off the heads a bit. It quite possibly could have been FF fluid in there (since 99!).

Thanks for the help gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back