has anyone succesfully filed a warranty claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on my interaction with 3 Sears Autocenters, I'm not giving them any more business either.

Sears will almost certainly go bankrupt.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Sears does a good job on warranty. When they sell you tires, you also get a rotation and balance for free every 6 months and they will warranty the tires. Give them a chance if you have been unlucky elsewhere

After Sears sabotaged my car, I will NEVER give them another cent!

I heard they sucked, I'm glad I never found out first hand.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

My local America's Tire manager told me that I don't need to wait until the tires wear down to 2/32" to claim mileage warranty, around 3/32" to 4/32" are eligible especially before/during raining season.

I buy tires in Florida's dry season, between Dec. and May, figuring a 2-2.5 (30k miles) year tread-life on a 50k tire (it just works out that way here on Florida shell-embedded roads)...and the last two sets of Costco-bought tires indeed wore out 2 years later in March and I got 45% treadlife warranty back on 50k mile tires...but I had to wait until they got to 3/32...

This time I bought "pull-offs" @ 50% off....getting that treadlife warranty back at the front end so I don't have to wait until I get to 3/32 before they get junked...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
So that's $88 I stand to lose. I have to do 23 rotations, at least one alignment and any follow up if it isn't perfect. Then when I claim, I have to buy an equivalent tire from the same manufacturer at their retail price.

So I may end up spending more on an inferior tire. That is going to offset the $88 saving and for the privilege I had to work quite hard for years I rotate on time and do alignments.

The local America's Tire doesn't require I need to buy equivalent tire from the same manufacturer to get mileage warranty.

They also don't require any alignment for warranty either, as long as the tires are wearing evenly across the treads.

How about if the tire is out of warranty period but has worn really fast?

Or it will go out of warranty and it is clear the tread has worn very fast but is still a little high eg 6/32?

One of my cars has not seen much mileage. 2 tires have done 20k out of 80k warranty and are at 6/32 but the warranty will expire at the end of this year.

And will they match prices on the new tires or ask you to buy them at full retail?

Firestone installed 4 new destinations (previous gen) on my wife's MDX. I took it back for rebalance due to 65mph+ vibrations that they couldn't verify due to no nearby highway. they rebalanced them-- and we took the car out of town and put a bunch of miles on them. I brought the car back to them the following week, better but still shook.

they determined 2 of the 4 must have been out of round or flawed. the replaced all 4 no questions asked.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I was reading the warranty for a major tire manufacturer, and it seems very hard to successfully file a claim for premature wear.

First, the tire has to wear down to the wear indicator (2/32"). But who waits until the tire is nearly bald before replacing their tires? I don't.

Second, they require documented tire rotations every 3k to 4k miles. Does anyone comply with this? (I rotate the tires myself so I have no documentation)

First, (and I hope salv won't take this wrong) but the warranty isn't a guarantee. It's a statement about what to expect if you don't get the mileage advertised.

Second, the only time a tire manufacturer will require the record on rotations is when there is a dispute. Large differences in wear is an indicator of lack of rotation. Alignment wear on one or two tires is an indicator of lack of rotation. If there is a problem such as that, THEN they'll pull out the requirement. The whole idea is to encourage folks to regularly rotate tires.

Third, smost tire manufacturers are aware that rarely are tire worn to 2/32nds and will make allowances - BUT - you have to be reasonably close. 4/32nds is a common number. If you are trying to push that envelope, expect some strong resistance.

Fourth, tire dealers have a large amount of latitude. They can use the warranty on another brand. They can be generous, round up instead of down, accept tires that manufacturers won't, etc. - BUT - You have to give this guy business. He's not going to be accommodating if you always buy tires over the internet or from another dealer.

One of most common issues is that OE tires don't have mileage warranties. The tire that come on new cars were spec'd to the vehicle manufacturer's specs and vehicle manufacturers aren't concerned about tire wear, so they sacrifice it to get fuel economy - something they have to be concerned about, because there is a sticker listing the fuel economy on the window.

Also, tire dealers have been known to view consumers with OE tires as non-customers.

So if you buy tires from "Online Tires" and get them mounted at WalMart, then you shouldn't expect your local tire dealer to be happy to do a warranty. If they are smart, they'll do one that isn't obvious that you're not getting the best deal, but one that will get you back in the store the next time you buy tires. It's a fine line and the good guys know how to play the game.

Had a few dealings with DT on prorated basis. Never a problem, or an issue getting treadwear warranty adjustment. One adjustment was on an oem BFG that got a nail outside repair zone, DT called to Michelin, got a prorated price on new tire. Just another reason why DT is my first and last stop for tires now.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Third, most tire manufacturers are aware that rarely are tire worn to 2/32nds and will make allowances - BUT - you have to be reasonably close. 4/32nds is a common number. If you are trying to push that envelope, expect some strong resistance.

Local America's Tire manager told me around 3/32-4/32", don't need to wait for 2/32" or less.

No every vehicle has perfect wearing front and rear even with regular rotation, especially with stagger tires. If the rear wear down to 2/32-3/32" and the front at 4/32" then they would prorate both front and rear.

I think it's much easier to claim mileage warranty when buying local, that why I bought all my tires at local America's Tires the last 5-6 years, especially since they do price match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back