? has anyone bought tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true about DT ordering from TR. All tire dears do this. Why wouldn't you? I bought my Michelin tires from a ma & pa tire joint here in town an they were $110 dollars cheaper than Walmart for the same set.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Where do you guys install these online-purchased tires?
I just got my Sumitomo delivered from onlinetires.com, but did not decide on installer yet.

I too use W*M! At todays prices, it's about $50.00 out the door for:
*Removal/disposal of your old tires
*Mounting/balancing of you new tires
*Doesn't matter if you drive your vehicle
to W*M or just drop off your wheels/tires,
it's the same price.
I usually take my wheels/tires into W*M and
then install them on my vehicle myself at home.
A bit more of hastle but, I want to torque my lugs
where I want them especially if I just did brakes.
I don't know if W*M used a torque stick for each
application like some tire stores do.

I have seen Walmart use the TQ stick but that may not happen widespread. Its very important. The deal you think you get mail ordering rubber may not be that big a savings when all is said and done. I find its worth the $20-$40 xtra to have a tire dealer in your pocket for return business. If you encounter problems they take care of it & rotate is usually free. A non franchise dealer is my prefernce.

Originally Posted By: willix
The deal you think you get mail ordering rubber may not be that big a savings when all is said and done.

+1

On top of that, I've never really found it cheaper to buy online anyway, after shipping and installation are figured in. I've almost always been able to find a better price locally, and even if the price is close to a wash, I'd rather have that local relationship anyway. I don't prefer mom & pop stores because we do travel a lot. National retailers like Sears and Walmart/Sam's Club are nearly everywhere (especially in the southeast), and you can get immediate tire service nearly everywhere.

For what it's worth, if you do get 15" wheels as replacements, the 195/65R15 size is an extremely popular size of tire, and you can find a wide range of tires available in that size, from super eco tires to fit a new Prius, to grand touring tires like Michelin Primacy MXV4, to performance tires like Bridgestone RE960 Pole Positions.

The nominal difference in static diameter is a few tenths of an inch (the 15s being a hair taller), but with the amount of tire clearance with a Cavalier, I'm sure it'd be a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I would not trust them if you have stick on weights...
Stick on weights are fine if installed correctly(clean surface) and covered with foil duct tape. They are less likely to to be lost than a bead weight.

I've purchased from DTD in the past and received excellent service.

I've found that buying Michelin tires at Costco to be more cost effective than mail order (for most tires) especially when they are running a $70 coupon as they are doing now. They have state of the art installation equipment, offer lifetime balancing and rotations for free, a road hazard warranty, and free flat repair. Plus, Costco uses nitrogen. My concern about mail order is getting warranty or repair service. Costco is often cheaper, and you are not put in the awkward position to bringing tires into a place that you did not buy them from to get installed.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I just got my Sumitomo delivered from onlinetires.com, but did not decide on installer yet.

it's the same price.

Do they do Hunter road force balancing?

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I've purchased from DTD in the past and received excellent service.

I've found that buying Michelin tires at Costco to be more cost effective than mail order (for most tires) especially when they are running a $70 coupon as they are doing now. They have state of the art installation equipment, offer lifetime balancing and rotations for free, a road hazard warranty, and free flat repair. Plus, Costco uses nitrogen. My concern about mail order is getting warranty or repair service. Costco is often cheaper, and you are not put in the awkward position to bringing tires into a place that you did not buy them from to get installed.

Very true. The only reason I ordered on line this time is beacause sumitomo tires are not available locally.

A few years ago I ordered from tire rack it it was a major hassle with warranty and road hazard issues.

Locally, Sam's Club has good deals on tires, but so so selection.

I've had Walmart and Sam's mess with my stick-on weights a lot, and haven't had a problem yet. They clean the wheel surface good before applying them, but do not use tape over the weights. Because of centrifugal force, wouldn't it be awfully hard to loose a stick-on weight? As the wheels turn, doesn't that just make the weight want to press into its own tape even further?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

it's the same price.

Do they do Hunter road force balancing?

Friendly,
The W*M that I frequent does not! This is not to say that W*M's somewhere in the U.S. don't use the Hunter but, just spin balancing is all that I have received and I haven't been asked by the sales rep or tech if I wanted the Hunter. They do try to sell me lifetime balance and flat repair even though I am bringing in my own tires.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
The deal you think you get mail ordering rubber may not be that big a savings when all is said and done.

+1

On top of that, I've never really found it cheaper to buy online anyway, after shipping and installation are figured in. I've almost always been able to find a better price locally, and even if the price is close to a wash, I'd rather have that local relationship anyway. I don't prefer mom & pop stores because we do travel a lot. National retailers like Sears and Walmart/Sam's Club are nearly everywhere (especially in the southeast), and you can get immediate tire service nearly everywhere.
A warranty for a given tire brand will be honored by and dealer of that brand.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock

+1

A warranty for a given tire brand will be honored by and dealer of that brand.

Well, that's why we as customers do our homework. Prices are different all around the country. Just scroll upward as see where others are from. My experience is that I can save over $100.00 when all is said and done compared to buying the same exact tire localy. And Im talking after shipping and having the tires installed at the place of my choice. A 100 bucks is a 100 bucks! I try to compare apples to apples, tire for tire. Plus, I get to view more tire choices online than at the tire store and read review and rating. I make my own decisions rather than being influenced by the sales rep at the tire store. I'll still check our local tire stores(and we have plenty) and if the prices are close, I'll buy here instead of online.

In my area, Sears has the highest out the door prices(it's the installation cost that kills the OTD price). Sam's Club is one of the best but don't always have what Im looking for. PepBoys is cheap if you buy at the right time(B3G1F)but their tires don't balance well and PB's doesn't have a very good reputation for quality service. Then we have several local tire stores that are well known through our state/region. Maybe even in NY, PA & OH. The choices are numerous and right now, I've been enjoying my online purchaces.

It doesn't bother me to run to W*M to have my tires installed. I would have to run out to shop around at tire stores anyway! Even if I used the local tire stores online service, I still have to get there after I chose my place of preference to make my tire purchace, be it Sears, Sam's, PB's or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back