Has anybody bought from Tirerack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cutter
They sold me some fuzion hri in 02/07. The tire was manufactured in 12/06. That's a fresh tire.

4 Primacy MXV4's Date code 0312 (3rd week 2012) one had a sticker from where Michelin shipped it to Tire Rack indicating a receive date of 02/06/12. Can't complain there!

Also, although Tire Rack indicates this particular size is made in Canada, the tires have USA molded in.

Pretty happy so far, off to get them mounted!

Decided not to go with Tirerack, but will post my tire buying experience to share. I learned many things buying tires that may help others. If consumers do not do a little research, seems like this is one area in which you can really get ripped off.

The tire shops mark up is extreme to say the least!

I was looking at the General GMax AS-03.
• Price at tirerack was $150 each (plus $65 shipping for 4). Set of 4- $665,
• DTD was $158.77 but included free shipping and a Web Rebate of $50. Set of 4 - DTD $585.
• Local shop (Roger's Tire and Wheel) wanted $968 to install.

Then I thought I would go with the Michelin Pilot SS.
• Through DTD price was $272 each, less the $50 online rebate. So $1,038 for a set of 4.
• Local place that carried these (Big O Tires) wanted "$421.95 each (4)=$1687.80 casing disposal $10.00 tax=101.86 total=$1799.66". So to install Big O wanted nearly $800 MORE for a set of 4.

I ended up going with a local independent tire shop that pretty much matched the price of DTD (about $80 more, which included mostly the sales tax here). Over the weekend DTD had a $50 online rebate I mentioned, and he waived the mounting/balancing. I am assuming he had to make some profit on these tires? Then I wondered how he could match DTD being an independent little shop, when I see the bigger chain stores here (Big O, Commercial Tire, Les Schwab) cannot. I purchased from his shop and will continue to do so in the future, but will definitely check online prices as this would have been the way to go. If I have any problems with these tires I have someone local to contact.

Watch the installation prices as well. I discovered there is a lot of variance in this as well. Commercial Tire, Bruneel Tire ($125 per 4), Les Schwab ($49.50 per tire!), Wal-Mart ($11.50 per tire). Wal-Mart the way to go here, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back