Harnessing Cavitation the next big thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I can't wait.

Latest rabbit hole for me to be venturing down, having seen it's effects on a 2,500hp impeller many years ago (12,000hp pumps more recently)

Plenty of us have pulled apart a water pump, and seen cavitation damage...usually it's a cheapie, with an impeller that looks more like a pinwheel, and it's the reason for pinholes in the liners of diesel engines at times.

Back in the day it could end an ocean crossing, literally within days as it ate the propeller down to uselessness or worse.

What is it ?

Couple of theories, involve pulling apart water due to rapid changes in local pressure, and the tiny bubble collapsing, releasing a huge amount of energy locally. What I was taught was that the bubble attached to the surface, and the bubble collapsed, creating a water jet that blew the surface apart...that still works, but it can literally collapse in free volume without a surface.

Combated over the years by rubber lining components (the rubber gives way to the pressure pulse), better hydraulic design (more ordered flow paths, less separation), "NPSH" Nett positive suction head, where the pressure locally is increased to stop the bubbles forming (Power station condensate pumps operate in an environment of less than half a psi (14psi vacuum), and the pump is installed in a hole in the ground that's 15 feet deep, so that the water pressure can keep the fluid "together" and prevent the separation).

Science is now learning about the phenomena, and with learning and understanding comes application.

Amazingly, and observed in the bad old days on propellers, the process can emit a glow, light, photons.

This indicates that the energy density is quite remarkable. The pics in the vid are produced by inducing an ultrasonic standing wave in a fluid, and a cavitation bubble forming and collapsing...very low energy, but remarkable energy density in the collapsing bubble.

The bubbles are up to 40um (1.6 thousandths), and their collapse speed can be mach 4, Temps of 10000C to a theoretical (depending on model) 10^8K (take off 273 to make celsius).

Have seen cavitation damage on everything from high energy pumps to the lowly water pump.

What got my excited was ten years or so ago some researchers created acetone replacing some of the hydrogen in the molecules with deutirium...after running sonoluminescence, they found evidence of He3 production...fusion ?

But the emerging processes from what people now know are astounding.

Cavitation can produce free radicals, by breaking apart water locally, and producing H and OH (the acid/base repsoecively), and fracturing higher order molecules.

Have been demonstrated to remove the excreted drugs from wastewater that defy traditional water treatment (drugs like contraceptive hormones and the like).

Can polymerise things that don't even mix under normal circumstances....can depolymerise other things as well.

Can treat cooling water circuits, and "break" the bugs and algae that grow in them.

Can force precipitation reactions, by forcing things like sulfates and carbonates into a crystal form, and others start on the seed (sometimes polluting metals as well).

Plenty of google out there, so I've not included links.

But this one looks like fun.

Interesting. I never would have considered the beneficial application of cavitation. The concept of initiating fusion is intriguing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
... Temps of 10000C to a theoretical (depending on model) 10^8K (take off 273 to make celsius)...

Very funny, wise guy.
smile.gif

I am kind of not understanding the practicality of what it can do that can't be done in numerous other ways.

Cavitation in impellers retards efficiency and leads to destruction...so this won't be a very good way of creating (again) something that really is only a way of doing something what can be done by other means.

Turns out we really don't understand the precise mechanism of friction. Exciting times for those of us that are not fixated on Jenner and his freak show.

Thanks shannow

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED
http://pesn.com/2012/04/28/9602083_NanoS...ation_in_Water/

Looks like another cold fusion scenario:

"Sterling, I would state the quote differently. I examined the material sent by NanoSpire and saw nothing unusual. I have no reason to doubt the experience they claim, but I have no reason to believe it either. As for the theory, it makes no sense based on my understanding of science. I wish them success."

Originally Posted By: Al
Cavitation in impellers retards efficiency and leads to destruction...so this won't be a very good way of creating (again) something that really is only a way of doing something what can be done by other means.

Al,
the lab scaled stuff is done in ultrasonic baths, not of great use in the field. Crude field work uses pumps and perforated plates, while some of the proprietary stuff uses "vortex chambers"

With opposing swirling fluids impacting no contact.

The technology linked, I've read a number of papers on recently, and it's a multi function water treatment solution. Destroys significant bacteria and algae, while forcing some scaling reactions to form a powdered precipitate, rather than forming scale on heat exchanger tubes.

Yeah, much more exciting than watching the rain wrecks on the idjit box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back