Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 29662
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

I think you missed the penultimate paragraph:

"He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs."

So each engine/rebuild/refurbish lasted less than 100k miles. Doesn't seem like a particularly good machine to me. Proves what I wrote earlier, Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule. Thanks for the fodder, and helping me prove my point.

And let's not forget that this same guy is being denied a warranty claim. Because he had too many flags. ROFLMAO!!!

Overpriced Milwaukee junk.
Ok big time sportbike guy, show proof that a sportbike of any brand ever went 500k miles on a single never been rebuilt motor. You guys crack me up spouting garbage about how much better your 926meieio model bikes are then Harley's. The only problem is they won't be made long enough to prove any of it. Even the mfgrs don't have enough faith in them to keep them in production.The only use for them is making those hysterical u-tube videos where your wiping out doing wheelies, or trying to stop on the front tire. Really it never gets old watching zoom- splats biting the dust.,,

That's not how it works. I'm not the one making the claims that my bike is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are. Therefore the burden of proof doesn't lie with me, the onus is on you my man. But I'll indulge and educate you.

The reason that models change every few years is called "innovation". As technologies change and improve so do the models. There are plenty of examples of Metric bikes being ridden into the hundreds of thousands of miles. There are several who frequently post UOA's here on BITOG.

Pointing to the idiots who stunt on the street and trying to categorize them as a the typical sportbike rider is inaccurate, some of us just like the insane speeds. That would be like me saying that all Hardley riders go around replete in overpriced Hardley gear looking like a bunch of gay pirates, oh wait; never mind.
blush.gif

I have refuted most of the things that you have stated with facts. If you want to talk about some of the shortcomings of Harley engines lets talk about the '99-'06 TC engines that often "blow up" at 20-30k miles because as the spring loaded cam chain follower fails it sheds plastic material that fouls the rotary gear oil pump cutting off oil flow to the engine causing sudden catastrophic engine failure and destruction. This is well documented. The'07+ motors are not much better with their hydraulic system. And these failures are NOT covered by Harley's warranty. I could continue ad nauseam.

My point is that for the insane amount of money that Harley's cost they have a poor design, poor build quality, and an atrocious warranty policy and customer service. I"ll pass thank you very much.

Gee, I thought I posted a Harley that actually went over a million miles, and asked if you could post a metric bike that went 500k. You didn't so, I guess YOU failed. Tell us again how "inovation" and poor sales go hand in hand. Like here today and NOBODY WANTS IT tomorrow. And don't forget how most metric bikes loses 50% of their value in just a few years, But people will pay $10 k for a 20 year old Harley. Isn't it funny an insurance company will total a metric bike for PLASTIC damage, now there's a quality ride. If you want to throw stones about built in mechanical failures, all MFGRS have had them. Yamaha had a recall for transmissions that would lock the rear wheel while you were riding that lasted several model years. If you need more google them.Say what you want and if you can't afford a Harley that's ok, there's plenty of disposable metric bikes to chose from, cheap.,,

You did post a link to a Harley that went 1 million miles. And also had 9 rebuilds and two new engines. If you spend enough money you can get a Yugo to go 1 million miles . Show me one that's gone that far without a rebuild. Poor sales, how is outselling harley 60 to 1 poor sales.

At least Yamaha did a recall and covered their mistake under warranty. Harley won't, isn't that what this thread was originally started about?

I respect everyone who gets out in the wind. It's unfortunate that alot of people particularly Harley riders dont(they're 2 wheeled snobs).

Ride what you like, that's what I do. Just don't pretend you're bike is something it's not. I'm going riding today and I'll make sure to keep an eye out for a Harley SCREAMING CHICKEN; so I can pluck it. ROFLMAO!!!
cool.gif

Ride safe everyone. I'm out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I'm neutral on Harleys, I don't dislike them, but then again I'm not terribly particular to them either. I opine the following:

The only bikes that routinely reach 100,000 miles are Goldwings and R & K series BMWs.

Harleys are quite capable of reaching 100,000, but their owners are seldom willing to ride them that far.

Anything else rarely reaches that type of mileage, you can usually stick a fork in them long before 100,000.

I disagree with your last statement...pretty much ANY of today's big v-twins, regardless of make will easily do 100K if well maintained and not abused...

Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

How many times has it been rebuilt to reach that kind of mileage? There's no way it wasn't rebuilt several times...Goldwings, and probably numerous other metrics will easily go longer than HDs...

Originally Posted By: RevRider
It appears that "29662" doesn't like Harleys.

Do all the other bike manufacturers have service bays?

Yeah, I don't particularly care for them. That's why I wouldn't buy one. What "gets my goat" is all of the fallacies and inaccuracies that are spread by the "faithful" in order to placate themselves. Just trying to set the record straight.

Like I said before though, my riding buddy, whom i've ridden with more than anyone else rides an '07 road king with 60k+ miles. And apart from a starter his hasn't given him any problems; full disclosure.lol...

And of course other bike manufacturers have service bays, though they are rarely as full as Harley's.

You ought to know by now that you can't go around spreading facts as you will branded as a Harley hater...

This guys hysterical, he can't prove any of his claims, but he can't keep quiet about it. I'll bet his bike is really fast . I think I found a video of him. http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=48985

What are you talking about. I refuted your claims with facts. Whether you choose to accept them is up to you.

My bikes not the fastest, but it's alot faster than any Hardley I have ever come across, that's for sure.

Your attempts at belittlemnt are rather childish, grow up. Not everyone dines at the trough that is Hardley.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
The Runes were beautiful, what do you think of the new Valk's?

The new Valk is probably a rider's bike, but they ruined the looks by covering everything up...too much plastic for me...now if they'd gone with the styling that was more like the old one it would probably be one sharp looking ride...

I think you missed the penultimate paragraph:

"He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs."

So each engine/rebuild/refurbish lasted less than 100k miles. Doesn't seem like a particularly good machine to me. Proves what I wrote earlier, Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule. Thanks for the fodder, and helping me prove my point.

And let's not forget that this same guy is being denied a warranty claim. Because he had too many flags. ROFLMAO!!!

Overpriced Milwaukee junk.
Ok big time sportbike guy, show proof that a sportbike of any brand ever went 500k miles on a single never been rebuilt motor. You guys crack me up spouting garbage about how much better your 926meieio model bikes are then Harley's. The only problem is they won't be made long enough to prove any of it. Even the mfgrs don't have enough faith in them to keep them in production.The only use for them is making those hysterical u-tube videos where your wiping out doing wheelies, or trying to stop on the front tire. Really it never gets old watching zoom- splats biting the dust.,,

The metrics don't build the same design forever because they're not lazy like HD...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
It amazes me that when someone comes on here and asks about a Harley Davidson that there is always Harley bashing by folks that don't own one and really have no business posting about how bad they claim them to be.

I'm not a fan of certain makes of cars, trucks or motorcycles.....but I don't reply to a thread on any of those makes.

Hehehe.

It's very common here for folks to post on products they've never used nor have any experience with.
You get used to it. The same guys saying the same thing over and over,never actually trying or using anything they seem to be experts on.
I find it amusing actually,like a clown.
I will extend a thank you for not posting in those situations. If some others followed your lead I doubt very much we'd see threads devolve or get locked.
So much for "learning"

It is possible to know about something without owning it...

This guys hysterical, he can't prove any of his claims, but he can't keep quiet about it. I'll bet his bike is really fast . I think I found a video of him. http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=48985

What are you talking about. I refuted your claims with facts. Whether you choose to accept them is up to you.

My bikes not the fastest, but it's alot faster than any Hardley I have ever come across, that's for sure.

Your attempts at belittlemnt are rather childish, grow up. Not everyone dines at the trough that is Hardley.

You can't throw facts at Bigcahuna, he's been drinking the HD Kool-Aid for way too long to listen to facts...and his argument is always about resale value and the fact that Harleys never change much...and he's smokin crack if he thinks Harleys hold their resale value any better, or even as good as many of the metrics...the market is flooded with Harleys, everybody and their brother's got one....they're a dime a dozen...the only way anyone gets a decent price for their Harley is if they trade it in on a new one...people selling them in private sales ain't getting squat for them...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Honestly...the more I learned about Harleys, the less I wanted to own one.

Really? You mean you wouldn't want to spend 2 or 3 times as much for an inferior machine? Why not? Millions of people do, so that must make it okay....

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Not a Harley but the most miles I have ever seen on a bike with the original drive train.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889016

Thank you for the interesting link bigdreama, I spent a bit of time yesterday reading the main thread on advrider about that guy's BMW.

Some things I found interesting:

He says he uses M1 15w-50 and changes it every 5,000 mi.

The only internal work done to the engine was head gaskets once and timing chain guides once in over 400,000 mi.

He says he shifts at 5,000 to 6,000 rpm. I find this interesting in that it goes to show that babying an engine gets you nowhere. Lots of people seem to think that by lugging their engine and/or shifting at the lowest possible rpm that they are doing it some kind of huge favor. I guess not. I have long felt that a piece of equipment should be run within the parameters it was designed to run within, not at a lesser arbitrary parameter.

The only maintenance that he seemed especially proactive about was the swing arm bearings, which he said he replaces every 30,000 to 40,000 mi., at the same time greasing the splines.

...and, why can't we have an adult discussion about Harleys instead of vehemently loving them or hating them? Harleys are a piece of machinery like any other, not an object of hatred or love. Some of the posts in this thread are greatly lacking of the discretion found in BITOGers.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
...and, why can't we have an adult discussion about Harleys instead of vehemently loving them or hating them? Harleys are a piece of machinery like any other, not an object of hatred or love. Some of the posts in this thread are greatly lacking of the discretion found in BITOGers.

Because nothing negative can be said about Harleys or their riders, even when it's merely stating facts or stating one's observations, without the Harley guys taking it personally. For example, if I were to say that Harleys make less power than similarly sized metric machines because of their antiquated engine designs, that is a fact, but the Harley guys take that as bashing, or a personal insult. Conversely, when they say that the metrics have more plastic than Harleys do, that is also a fact, but the difference is, this doesn't make me mad because I don't take it personally. I would also say that many Harley guys are so devoted to the brand they become blind to the facts...most metric guys couldn't care less about brand, I know I'm that way. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Victory, Triumph, and there are probably others too, because I know I'm going to get a good product. I would say the Harley guys need to grow some thicker skin and quit taking things so personally...in other words, don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message...

Or maybe you could say "I'm happy you ride and the brand and size of bike doesn't matter"

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Or maybe you could say "I'm happy you ride and the brand and size of bike doesn't matter"

That's fine and dandy, but that doesn't accomplish much when we're talking about certain aspects of different bikes...by all means, buy and ride whatever turns your crank, but that doesn't mean I can't talk about all bikes...if someone gets offended by the truth, that's their problem, not mine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dr2152

Unless its one of those Chinese disposable mopeds.

Off topic.

I think it is sad how cyclists split up into factions, what happened to the brotherhood and camaraderie. Just because we have different tastes in cycles doesn't mean we have to be enemies.

I think this behavior is less marked outside of the U.S.

It's not as strong here certainly, but there are signs of it. In my city there are five cliques that I know of:

The 8 Deer; mainly Harleys and BMW/GS s, they go on long interstate road trips 2 or 3 times a year. My brother-in-law is a member, but I prefer to ride alone and don't care for their silly rules. I'm friends with most of them and they use our family's country house to party at from time to time. Oddly enough their mastermind is in his forties and his parents fund his and his brother's lifestyles, so they both have heavily customized Kawasaki 900 s, no expensive Harleys or BMWs for them.

The Steel Horses; Harley-Davidson only. I'm not sure if they allow Sportsters or not, if they do they probably don't allow the 883. Rumor is that they never leave town and never ride more than 10 miles a day. I doubt the rumor is true though, doesn't seem plausible.

The Warriors; all small displacement, mostly Chinese marques. Petty thieves and drug addicts/dealers. One has customized his 150cc chopper in a most disturbing way, 2 huge bovine horns that look like they were sawed off a Watusi and a sissy bar at least 3 feet long. He is in his forties and the rest of the horde are about 14 to 24, so I wouldn't doubt he is the leader.

Two sportbike clubs; these are the most prolific, mostly Japanese liter bikes with a few 600s thrown in, very few Euro bikes. They never wear any type of safety gear when riding in town, not even helmets or gloves, unless you can call sandals protective. Usually seen with their trophy girlfriends humiliatingly and excruciatingly painfully perched on the pillions like some kind of Amsterdam storefront display. They do go on road trips in full gear from time to time, presumably to the nearest autodrome in Amozoc 4 hours away for track days.

There seem to be plenty of cyclists here as well that don't join a faction and on the road there is a general friendliness between different types of bikers.

The other day I guess I was unduly rude to an especially obnoxious fellow Honda rider. I was paying the lady who had pumped my gasoline at about 8:30 after a long days work. Some guy on a new Honda Unicorn 150cc whipped all the way around the fuel island after seeing me and wedged his way between the pump and me, stopping within centimeters of hitting the lady. The guy had his grade school aged daughter on the back, not one shred of safety gear.
-"Is that the Falcon?"
-"Yeah, I guess so."
-"How much did it cost?"
-"Yeah, it was cheap."
-"Did you bring it from Gringoland?"
-"No, I bought it right here in town at Honda GT. It is Brazilian, they don't sell Brazilian junk in USA."
-"I decided not to spend enough to buy a Falcon, they aren't cheap, they're Hondas, they cost $6000 US." [By the way it's a good idea to buy a height appropriate cycle, the Falcon is a disposable urban police unit designed for at the very least 5'9", very little of the population in this district is of that height.]
-"Nah, I payed $4500 for it. It was cheap. It is a cheap Brazilian made Honda. Just cheap."
-"Hondas aren't cheap. They are high quality. Mine is new. Mine is Japanese."
-"No it's not, it's Chinese."
-"Indian."
-"Hasta luego."
I felt a little bad about being rude afterwards, I'm initially polite, but I just can't resist repaying rudenes with rudeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back