Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 29662
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Anything will make a million miles if you keep rebuilding it every 85K!
Except a metric bike.It hasn't been done yet.,,

Posted below are the names and respective mileages of BMW riders who have logged over 1 million miles. All are on BMW MOA. You can check them for yourselves. And none that I have read needed 11 rebuilds to reach that milestone. David swisher at last report has 1.4 million miles on his BMW. If you go over to VFRdiscussion.com you will find numerous VFR well into the 6 figure range that have never had to be rebuilt and some are even tracked occasionally. There are also numerous CBR that are well over 100k without a rebuild including one on the cbr forums that has over 350K WITH NO REBUILDS. How about the number of Goldwings and ST's over 100k without a rebuild, or FZ1's. How about a bandit 1200 with over 100k. Last I read he was at over 120K.
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=12227.0

BMW's over 1 million miles on bmwmoa.org.
Grimes Lyle 1,000,000
High, Thomas 1,000,000
Klas James 1,000,000
McHugh Kenneth 1,000,000
McQueeney David 1,250,000
Randolph Ray 1,000,000
Sewell Ray 1,000,000
Swisher David 1,250,000

There are many metric bikes out there that are very high mileage. They're easy to find if you don't have blinders on. And they all have higher specific outputs than Hardley's.

For the record I myself plan to buy an American V-Twin in the not too distant future, but it won't be a Hardley. It'll be an EBR, a properly engineered bike.

Heck even the Victory guys turn their noses up at Harley's.

For a little comedic relief; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4

Q: Why are Harley's some of the safest bikes on the road?
A: You can't go fast enough to hurt yourself....

Q: What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
A: Empty!

Q: What do you call ten Harley owners lined up ear to ear?
A: Wind tunnel!!!

Q: What do you get when you have 32 Harley owners in the same room?
A: A full set of teeth.

Once again you spread disinformation. I just checked two of the riders you listed and yes they rode over a million miles. On as many as 16 different BMW's. Not one! It is an award BMW gives for miles ridden. I have to be over 500,000 but on 50k on Harley, 50k Honda,50k BMW, etc.

You say you are buying American V twin, it's a race bike. Just like other v twin track bikes. Do you even know what a touring bike is?

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Posted below are the names and respective mileages of BMW riders who have logged over 1 million miles. All are on BMW MOA. You can check them for yourselves. And none that I have read needed 11 rebuilds to reach that milestone. David swisher at last report has 1.4 million miles on his BMW. If you go over to VFRdiscussion.com you will find numerous VFR well into the 6 figure range that have never had to be rebuilt and some are even tracked occasionally. There are also numerous CBR that are well over 100k without a rebuild including one on the cbr forums that has over 350K WITH NO REBUILDS. How about the number of Goldwings and ST's over 100k without a rebuild, or FZ1's. How about a bandit 1200 with over 100k. Last I read he was at over 120K.

Grimes Lyle 1,000,000
High, Thomas 1,000,000
Klas James 1,000,000
McHugh Kenneth 1,000,000
Randolph Ray 1,000,000
Sewell Ray 1,000,000
Swisher David 1,250,000

There are many metric bikes out there that are very high mileage. They're easy to find if you don't have blinders on. And they all have higher specific outputs than Hardley's.

For the record I myself plan to buy an American V-Twin in the not too distant future, but it won't be a Hardley. It'll be an EBR, a properly engineered bike.

Once again you spread disinformation. I just checked two of the riders you listed and yes they rode over a million miles. On as many as 16 different BMW's. Not one! It is an award BMW gives for miles ridden. I have to be over 500,000 but on 50k on Harley, 50k Honda,50k BMW, etc.

You say you are buying American V twin, it's a race bike. Just like other v twin track bikes. Do you even know what a touring bike is?

No David swicher is on one bike.

You may want to look at the EBR 1190RS, hardly a track bike. It's a street bike.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
EBR = Buell =.....Harley lite...!

Where have you been. He hasn't dealt with Harley since '08, and the last Buell with a Hardley motor came out in '07. I've ridden a buddies xb12. It was a great riding, great handling motorcycle. But the powerplant was a serious letdown. Glad to see he's moved away.

You guys take all this stuff way too personally. Do you guys own stock in the company or something? lol..

Last edited:
Jarlaxle said:

Grimes Lyle 1,000,000
High, Thomas 1,000,000
Klas James 1,000,000
McHugh Kenneth 1,000,000
Randolph Ray 1,000,000
Sewell Ray 1,000,000
Swisher David 1,250,000

No David swicher is on one bike.

You may want to look at the EBR 1190RS, hardly a track bike. It's a street bike.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
EBR = Buell =.....Harley lite...!

Where have you been. He hasn't dealt with Harley since '08, and the last Buell with a Hardley motor came out in '07. I've ridden a buddies xb12. It was a great riding, great handling motorcycle. But the powerplant was a serious letdown. Glad to see he's moved away.

You guys take all this stuff way too personally. Do you guys own stock in the company or something? lol..

Several years ago, BMW owner Dave Swisher became the first motorcyclist in the world to ride one million miles (1.6-million kilometres) on BMW bikes BIKES!!! Most of his bikes have over 100k. Ten bikes at 100k = a million

EBR makes races bikes and now are going to make one that is street legal. Honda RC51? Same thing. Nothing new there. RC51 was great bike for short day rides. I do 500 mile days most trips but the RC51 made my back hurt after 100 miles. So it was ridden on short trips and talk about vibration through the grips. You had to wear gel pad gloves. Rc51 is a great bike for what it was made for. EBR price is $19,000. Not cheap.

Yes, Harley cut ties with him in 08 because Buell was bleeding money and in 09 Erik Buell stopped production and sold 49% of his company to Hero motorcorp. We'll see how that works out...!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
An RC51 vibrates? LOL

Yes, when the RPM's are up and it vibrates or busses (call it what you want)through the grips.

Disagreement on the qualities or character of one motorcycle versus another is ok. Name calling, disparaging commentary, and general fanboi behaviors are not. If complaints and issues continue, the thread goes away, and vacations will be given.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
An RC51 vibrates? LOL

Yes, when the RPM's are up and it vibrates or busses (call it what you want)through the grips.

I don't/didn't find that to be the case, perceptions vary I suppose but I found the RC51 to be a comfortable and pleasant ride, with no vibration or buzz... It is one of two bikes I greatly regret letting pass through my hands, the other being another twin, a 900SS/SP.

Back to the subject at hand... It sounds like some folks in this thread need to take a ride on a recent product from the MoCo... They are very capable motorcycles for the purpose of street riding, they are well made and the finish and detailing is very nice. The pricing is not out of line for what you get. You either want one or don't, but they are fine motorcycles and don't deserve the ill-informed silliness aimed at them in this thread and others like it which seem to run rampant here.

I'm one of those people that doesn't care what anyone rides. Enjoy riding whatever you like. As I previously said in this thread; A friend has 120k on his all-stock '03 Harley FLHTCUI, with just regular preventative maintenance. I have no reason to believe it won't keep running just fine for many miles to come.

Now the assertion that Japanese bikes can't rack up big mileage, is also laughable. I was reading through one of the British bike magazines back in maybe 2005, wherein a Courier in the UK had accrued 500,000 miles on his Honda Blackbird (CBR1100XX here).

Original engine and trans.

I'm curious if he is still riding that same bike today, and what the mileage might be now.

For those that don't know, at one time ('97-'98) that was the fastest production bike. 1137cc Inline 4, approx. 135 rwhp.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I'm one of those people that doesn't care what anyone rides. Enjoy riding whatever you like. As I previously said in this thread; A friend has 120k on his all-stock '03 Harley FLHTCUI, with just regular preventative maintenance. I have no reason to believe it won't keep running just fine for many miles to come.

Now the assertion that Japanese bikes can't rack up big mileage, is also laughable. I was reading through one of the British bike magazines back in maybe 2005, wherein a Courier in the UK had accrued 500,000 miles on his Honda Blackbird (CBR1100XX here).

I'm curious if he is still riding that same bike today, and what the mileage might be now.

For those that don't know, at one time ('97-'98) that was the fastest production bike. 1137cc Inline 4, approx. 135 rwhp.

I'm in the same boat. I don't care what a guy rides,and I'm certainly not a fanboy of any particular brand and currently own 2 Hondas,a Harley and a Yamaha and I can find good and bad points with each brand and bike in particular.
But reading the absurdity about Harley's leaking and so on truly exposes the posters bias and makes them look foolish.
Sure Harley's in the 80s leaked,so did every British bike made. So what.
To call Harley's a tractor motor may have been true of the evo however show me a tractor sung a twin cam engine,just one.
And I've seen countless twin cams with in excess of 100k miles,so to say they aren't durable is absurd.
I'm a fan of bikes. Even the power rangers have some cool features but in the end I want to be comfortable for 500 miles a day.
My bike will pull wheelies too,only Ive got kids and want to ride with them one day and road rash sucks.
Harley hate runs rampant,not that they care I'm sure.
Look at their bank accounts and see if it matters at all.

I reserve "hate" for the IDIOTS who tear off the mufflers and ride around emitting the flatulent roar of open-piped lawn equipment! Honestly...I kind of think that laws requiring stock exhaust on all bikes are probably a good idea.

That, or a hard decibel limit...fines for violations should start at $5000, plus $1000 per decibel over the limit, plus revocation of the bike's plates unless & until it is corrected.

WoW 500,000 miles!. It would be more impressive if it was still the fastest. And He's only 500,000 miles short of Harley's record. One thing that people don't want to be reminded of is, Nobody would spend the money to rebuild a bike like that if it should need it. They aren't worth the trouble or money. They are throwaway bikes, like all the other metric superbikes . Nice try throwing it up for comparison tho.,,

Uh,do you metric riders have rallies, or drag races.. or do you just ride like clowns on the open roads. I see metric riders scooped up with shovels every week. I have friends that ride panheads, shovelheads, evos and the Twinkies. They all seem to be running fine with thousands of miles on them.

Last edited:

WoW 500,000 miles!. It would be more impressive if it was still the fastest. And He's only 500,000 miles short of Harley's record. One thing that people don't want to be reminded of is, Nobody would spend the money to rebuild a bike like that if it should need it. They aren't worth the trouble or money. They are throwaway bikes, like all the other metric superbikes . Nice try throwing it up for comparison tho.,,

I'm sure you won't care, but that was 500k miles, 9 years ago. I have little doubt he rode it further. If it's still around, it could have easily exceeded 1,000,000 miles by now, based on the timeframe alone.

Also for the record, that 500k was the original engine and trans. Not the engine being rebuilt 12 times to reach 1,000,000 miles.

I've seen and read of many old Japanese bikes that have been completely restored.

Have fun with your incorrect, preconceived opinions, though.

I'm sure you won't care, but that was 500k miles, 9 years ago. I have little doubt he rode it further. If it's still around, it could have easily exceeded 1,000,000 miles by now, based on the timeframe alone.

Also for the record, that 500k was the original engine and trans. Not the engine being rebuilt 12 times to reach 1,000,000 miles.

I've seen and read of many old Japanese bikes that have been completely restored.

Too bad you can't prove any of what YOU say. I posted a link to back up my statement. Knowing about, or thinking you saw something, without any way to back it up is worthless. When was the last time a metric mfgr gave someone a new bike for proving their product can go 1.000.000 miles?. Remember, it was more then just the motor that went 1,000,000 miles. Cheap steel and plastic wont go 1,000,000 miles. At least no one has proven that it can. If I'm incorrect, PLEASE prove it.,,

My Road Star Warrior would leave your M109 or the Victorys looking like they were setting still.

It would require some pretty extensive engine mods on the Road Warrior for it to be able to take a 109...stock vs stock the Warrior wouldn't stand a chance...

Mostly rider. If you don't know how to launch a bike power makes little difference. Second Warrior was not stock making 105hp/130ft lb at rear wheel

Too bad you can't prove any of what YOU say. I posted a link to back up my statement. Knowing about, or thinking you saw something, without any way to back it up is worthless. When was the last time a metric mfgr gave someone a new bike for proving their product can go 1.000.000 miles?. Remember, it was more then just the motor that went 1,000,000 miles. Cheap steel and plastic wont go 1,000,000 miles. At least no one has proven that it can. If I'm incorrect, PLEASE prove it.,,

Here are a few interesting bits of information. Note that the owner of the Honda VFR750 replaced the engine at 440,000 miles instead of replacing the head gasket. Dam "junk" Hondas.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general...eage-rider.html

Maybe a little impressive, But still didn't make it to 1,000,000 miles mark. Seems to be alot of close, but no cigar examples. So you mean to say out of the million or so bikes Honda made, none have made it to the magical 1,000,000 mile mark? No 1mm Kawasaki's? or Yamahas?, or Suzuki's?. And to those that don't know the difference, BMW's aren't considered metric bikes. Just like a Ducati, or a Ural isn't.,,

Just to put things in perspective, one guy is trying to make a living and the other is riding around on a fat lawmaker's pension and sponsership to boot. I'll bet the working guy on the 850,000 mile Viffer has about a tenth of what the Harley guy has invested with all his rebuilds and new engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back