harbour freight battery tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a help to something like that, since 100 amps is kinda low, you can turn on your headlights and everything else you can find that uses the battery.

It should work fine, I think the leads are a little thin for 100 amp load testing. The 100 amp load test is a benchmark for testing battery drain and recovery from many years ago. It was 100 amp load to make the math easier. 10 seconds - 100 amps and note the voltage drop and recovery time. The formula escapes me, I haven't used it in 25 years. But if it doesn't dip into the red and returns to 11.4 to 12.8 volts, the battery is good. I would not use the load tester on a running vehicle nowadays. Some of the electronic regulators will fail with an abrupt 100 amp load. In testing a 67 Hyster forklift with a 36amp alternator, I actually melted the charge contacts together in the mechanical regulator many years ago.

I have one..it doesn't work anymore. I think one of the connections to the load failed.

Too bad, as I was gonna test it with my clamp-on ammeter to see if it actually draws 100 amps.

Maybe I'll try to fix it.

I have the carbon pile load tester from HF and it works great. Puts as much load as you need on the battery to determine condition. Not that pricey either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back