Harbor Freight...Should I bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a made in Taiwan HF torque wrench for a very specific use, since I needed one that would allow for low torque values.
It was around ten bucks and seemed to work just fine.
For occassional use tools where the risk of injuring yourself is low, HF tools seem fine.
I'd probably not want to use an HF spring compressor, since the risk of personal injury is high. I'd want to use something of known quality and durability.
As has been noted above, many American brand tools are now made in Asia anyway, so it's not as though you'd be helping to support American industry by buying them.

lly inspected the wrench before buying instead of after.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Trav

IMO and experience with high end tools the range is 100% usable if not then why not just call it a 40-200 inch lb tool if its only accurate from 40?

You prove my point about this being a piece of junk IMO. My Stahlwill 5-36 ft lb is accurate throughout the scale.

Well, a HF torque wrench is not as nice as a Stahlwill torque wrench that is many times more expensive. That's not really a surprise.

Stahlwille may be an exception. This manual claimssome of their torque wrenches are usable from 5% - 100% of full scale. You pay a pretty penny for the broader range of the Stahlwille, probably more than most members on this forum who aren't pros can afford.

That's good to see that the Stahllwille has a broader torque range, but it's not the norm for the American torque wrenches. I agree the labeling of many torque wrenches is misleading. Tool buyers need to be aware of the usable torque range when buying a torque wrench.

Check out this $500 Snap-on Techangle torque wrench.

In the description it says this, claiming a 12.5 - 250 ft-lbs rating:
Quote:

Torque Wrench, Electronic, TECHANGLE™, Flex Ratchet, 12.5 to 250 ft. lbs., 1/2" drive

But then further down they admit that it's really accurate from 20 - 100% full scale. (50 - 250 ft-lbs.):
Quote:
Note:
The certification of accuracy provided per ASME and ISO Standards is 20% to 100% of full scale.

In another Snap-on document it says this:
Quote:
Torque wrenches that are scaled below 20% of
full scale may not be accurate and may lead
users to operate them below their useful
range. Select a torque wrench so your working
range falls near the mid point of its capacity.

I'm not arguing that the HF torque wrenches are better than more expensive torque wrenches, because they're not. But they're generally accurate and work well for a lot of people when used for the correct job.

Yah, it helps to know the limits of a tool before buying it. For my use I knew the HF wrench was ideal for the work I needed, and as I said, I inspected the tool before buying it, not afterward. So I didn't have any suprises when it came time to use it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I bought a made in Taiwan HF torque wrench for a very specific use, since I needed one that would allow for low torque values.
It was around ten bucks and seemed to work just fine.
For occassional use tools where the risk of injuring yourself is low, HF tools seem fine.
I'd probably not want to use an HF spring compressor, since the risk of personal injury is high. I'd want to use something of known quality and durability.
As has been noted above, many American brand tools are now made in Asia anyway, so it's not as though you'd be helping to support American industry by buying them.

Many think that buying Asian is hurting US jobs(and it can in some cases))but give a pass to buying Euro. Double standard in my book.

Trav is comparing $10 torque wrench with $500 torque wrench and then saying $10 is a garbage compared to $500 one! Where is that symbol for the head slap?

I am also calling Trav out on the 22 inch-lb "absolute must" on anything on an automobile. It is not a NASA rocket. No automobile engineer worth his salt is going to spec that kind of fastener on a consumer item. I know I am challenging somebody whom I respect very highly in terms of his automotive expertise a but I am not backing out of this friendly challenge. The only requirement that tne engineer would put would be to have consistent torquing on multiple fasteners.

When I see a torque a torque spec of 9.8 NM on factory service manual, I don't automatically assume that they were requiring for .001 NM accuracy!

Tig has already shown the picture of the HF 1/4 torque wrench. It is not Snap On but it does not look like junk. I will grant that those two screws on the head have tendency to come loose but little bit of locktight and all is well with the world. Tig has also provided evidence about the 20%-100% accuracy of a typical torque wrench.

I don't work often in inch or foot lb mostly only Nm. I guess i thought with such a small measurement that this small inlb tool would be accurate enough.
Still it doesn't give the poor quality a pass does it? This tool was unusable even if i wanted to use it within its range of accuracy.
Yes i am more than PO'd with this tool, it was a waste of time not so much money.

I will stick with the Stahlwille and Hazet torque tools i am use too at least i know what i am dealing with and not some piece of junk that only starts being accurate quarter way up the scale.
IMO if the tool is not accurate below 40 inlb then call it a 40-200 tool and start the scale at 40 not 20.

And can we leave the political aspect of HF out of this topic? Let is concentrate on technical (and may be pocket book) aspect of it. It is perfectly valid reasoning to not buy a single item from HF but you don't try to give trumped reasons for doing so and texpect not to be challenged on it regardless of your standing here.

So tell me more about the 22 inch-lb requirement and tell me about the price of the better torque wrench and tell me how you figured out HF was inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am also calling Trav out on the 22 inch-lb "absolute must" on anything on an automobile

Ever do transmission band or for that matter any internal or even external transmission work Vikas? Google it and come back and call me out again.
Anywhere from 10-about 120 inch lb depending on the band and manufacturer, 72inlb is stock on this one, the ones he got spec a lower value.
Yes the initial torque is critical.

Where are you getting this $500 price tag from? I paid less than $250 in todays money or about $80 (250DM) back then but that's not the point is it?
The point is its a bloody torque wrench so it should be able to accurately measure torque to within a percent, of course the greater the accuracy it can achieve will drive the price up.

I know you like your HF torque wrenches but they really are junk plain and simple.

Edit: Just so you don't have to google vary far.

http://www.turboaction.com/17999 04-14-06.pdf

Last edited:
Quote:
but you don't try to give trumped reasons for doing so and texpect not to be challenged on it regardless of your standing here.

The nut on the end needed to be loosened with a pair of pliers for god sake then the handle wouldn't lock again when the knob was screwed back in, the scale was way off from zero.
You call that a "trumped up" reasons?

Wow I haven't posted in a while,I almost forgot about this site. Good call Trav making the trip for the good tool. Trannys aren't cheap! Accuracy counts, especially when it comes to band adjustment

AD

Originally Posted By: tig1

Many think that buying Asian is hurting US jobs(and it can in some cases))but give a pass to buying Euro. Double standard in my book.

Not quite. The difference is people who work in countries where the costs and benefits basis is similar to that of the USA.

There IS a difference between companies/countries arbitrarily valuing their currency and having their population earn $5/day dump garbage onto other countries that produce quality items and have higher costs due to wages, health insurance, etc.

Competition between peers is good, and if certain places make certain things that the other doesnt, it is only reasonable to go there. Junk from third world countries that have an excessively low cost basis, which the population here buys and causes their countrymen to be without jobs, is horrid. Primarily because WE pay the unemployment and welfare benefits for those folks. Folks that would otherwise be paying taxes.

One cannot buy HF tools or Moog suspension parts blindly and assume they will be great. They are a hit or miss and that likely depends upon where they were made.

So for HF, go for Taiwan rather than China, read the warranty and examine the item if possible. It seems often the first iteration of a tool is poor, but over time they find better suppliers.

A few HF tools just seem to be a bad deal. Their cordless impact for example. The Dewalt bare is about the same price as the HF tool w/battery. Most of us have other cordless tools that can supply the battery. The HF warranty is only 90 days.

The trick to HF is knowing what you're doing. Walk in there like its a sears tool department circa 1900-2000 and assume everything is good, yeah, you're gonna get burned. DO your homework and you can save a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: default
The trick to HF is knowing what you're doing. Walk in there like its a sears tool department circa 1900-2000 and assume everything is good, yeah, you're gonna get burned. DO your homework and you can save a lot of money.

And do your part to send the remaining American manufacturing jobs overseas where they apparently belong, right guys?
smirk.gif

34.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: default

And do your part to send the remaining American manufacturing jobs overseas where they apparently belong, right guys?
smirk.gif

34.gif

Buy a Camry, they have the highest American made parts content of anything made and sold here.

Originally Posted By: Trav
First the locking screw would not unscrew without a pair of pliers after that it wouldn't lock the handle.
The markings were so far out of line from zero it want funny, 20 inch lb line was not reached until about 24 inch lb on the scale.

I needed 22 inch lb, this adjustment is mission critical and this thing could not be trusted just by the inaccuracy of the markings.
I own real quality tools and this is not anywhere near quality this is pure junk and not worth a pee hole in the snow. It is as useful as a suitcase with no handle.

Maybe tomorrow i will post a picture of what this thing looks like when i get done with it.
lol.gif

Honestly this piece of garbage would stink up my toolbox.
"Mission critical"??? You working on helo rotor hubs with it?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It 100% depends on the item.

There are some really good bargains on items. A few include the top-line impact sockets, the Earthquake impact, the roto ratchets and the 44" toolbox.

Then, there are a lot of things that are total junk.

If you have a question about a specific item, google it. There's a chance someone on Garage Journal has shared their opinion on it. There's a thread over there specifically about items from HF.
+1

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And can we leave the political aspect of HF out of this topic? Let is concentrate on technical (and may be pocket book) aspect of it. It is perfectly valid reasoning to not buy a single item from HF but you don't try to give trumped reasons for doing so and texpect not to be challenged on it regardless of your standing here.

So tell me more about the 22 inch-lb requirement and tell me about the price of the better torque wrench and tell me how you figured out HF was inaccurate.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back