Hankook to supply OEM Tires to Benz S-class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Another bitter pill for the 'always first world' bunch.

South Korea isn't part of the first world?

He just despises those of us who try to put employment of our own countrymen first over artificially subsidized bottom-cost labor from the third world. Some of us dont like to pay twice for something.

The following comments all editing in without noting the edit. I dont know if SK has extreme subsidies, parity in terms of social costs, environmental regulations, etc., so I cannot comment on Hankook specifically. It is somewhat surprising, though then again if the S-class came with some top-super electronic doodad computing thing from Japan, dont think Id be very upset - chances are it wasnt pirated IP like some others' favorite producer nations tend to do.

Notice the "blue blood" comments coming now? LOL. No, sorry, bud. Those of us concerned about manufacturing jobs existing in our own country are far from aristocratic blue bloods who would far rather use third world wage slaves for labor to maximize (personal) profit.

Think you have your concepts mixed up.
wink.gif

There's JH trolling again.
Trolling.gif
And acting like a true moderator.
whistle.gif
I guess if ones is not a 'blue blood' then no reason to note it.

In the future, speak for yourself.

Last edited:
I spoke my reasoning for being pro-first world. Straight and clear. Youre the one who started anything by your initial comment (trolling), and then calling others in the thread (and of course oriented towards me as well) something.

Who is instigating? Let's recall who made the first comment about the "always first world" bunch.

Trolling.gif
whistle.gif

I guess I'm not the only one who notices this...

Meh, this isn't shocking to me. Hankook makes some good tires. I'm not surprised to see them get a contract for a flagship car.

He just despises those of us who try to put employment of our own countrymen first over artificially subsidized bottom-cost labor from the third world, e.g. China. Some of us dont like to pay twice for something.

Notice the "blue blood" comments coming now? LOL. No, sorry, bud. Those of us concerned about manufacturing jobs existing in our own country are far from aristocratic blue bloods who would far rather use third world wage slaves for labor to maximize (personal) profit.

I'm a little confused by these comments in this case. Were the tires for the S Class previously made in the USA?

I spoke my reasoning for being pro-first world. Straight and clear. Youre the one who started anything by your initial comment (trolling), and then calling others in the thread (and of course oriented towards me as well) something.

Who is instigating.....

No you said "he despises....", meaning me. You don't know me and don't know what I do.

Unlike yourself I didn't quote a poster as you did or name names.

Like I said, in the future speak for yourself.

Perhaps some should review where my first post was versus others.

So its not instigating with bitter pills for blue bloods...

Again, in the future speak for yourself.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Trolling.gif
whistle.gif

I guess I'm not the only one who notices this......

No, you're not the only one.

Last edited:

He just despises those of us who try to put employment of our own countrymen first over artificially subsidized bottom-cost labor from the third world, e.g. China. Some of us dont like to pay twice for something.

I'm a little confused by these comments in this case. Were the tires for the S Class previously made in the USA?

No the comment was that this was a "bitter pill" for us "blue blood" group that tries to buy first world stuff (which typically includes stuff made in the USA, Germany, Canada, etc). "Blue blood" implies some kind of aristocratic notion, which is far from the case. My logic is clear as day above - concern about manufacturing jobs in our own countries. Of course the s-class and hankook arent USA-centric, as we all know, but the comments were oriented as an attack towards those of us who feel that way. Certainly not aristocrats, but there is nothing wrong with being patriots who want to see manufacturing providing jobs to our countrymen. Not a crime but some on here sure get offended that some of us would dare to strive for such things.

So why sayjac had to try instigating in this thread to begin with is beyond me. But I only responded FAR after.

Typical pattern for JH to blame others for the things he said in this thread. If one isn't a 'blue blood' no reason to take offense.

But, it should be noted that even before he read that comment he posted "he despises" then went back to cover himself with an unnoted EDIT. So it's clear who the real instigator is here. I never named any poster here prior to being quoted.

Sad that a moderator can't hold himself to a higher standard. Sad but all too typical now.

I should preface this by saying that I'm a big COO enthusiast and generally COO is a big consideration in my purchases.

In fact, I'm wearing USA made shoes, USA made jeans and a USA made belt right now. How many people can say that.

I still don't see the point of a grandiose rant in this thread about the jobs of your "countrymen" when your countrymen apparently aren't being affected by this move.

I still don't see the point of a grandiose rant in this thread about the jobs of your "countrymen" when your countrymen apparently aren't being affected by this move.

Precisely, thus why I didnt say anything in this thread for a long time - but then the directed comments about those of us who care about COO (BTW, you probably would count as a blue blood that is having a hard time swallowing the pill too, based upon your mention of your buying habits).

But those kinds of derogatory remarks came out. Before I so much as posted in this thread. Apparently me commenting on them after the case is bad/wrong/trolling/etc.

But Ill ttyl. Im out of here. Its to be discussing S-class car tires, not whether us blue bloods dont like it.

Everyone knows that Michelin makes good tires.
Those who are aware of Hankook know that they offer some good tires at a lower price point.
I've had one set of Hankooks and they were pretty inexpensive and pretty okay.
I've had many sets of Michelins and the worst of them were still pretty good and pretty long wearing tires.
If I were selling a high end car, I'd put tires of a known high end maker on it, not tires of a relatively unknown, lower end brand.

Typical pattern for JH to blame others for the things he said in this thread. If one isn't a 'blue blood' no reason to take offense.

But, it should be noted that even before he read that comment he posted "he despises" then went back to cover himself with an unnoted EDIT. So it's clear who the real instigator is here. I never named any poster here prior to being quoted.

Sad that a moderator can't hold himself to a higher standard. Sad but all too typical now.

Dude, seriously? I edit my posts without adding the edit line all the time. It's an option for a reason. I don't need to state my reason for editing for your sake or anyone else's. Usually it is due to some form of grammar/spelling oversight but sometimes I edit because I think I've come off too harsh and I'll tone it back a few notches.

It has nothing to do with JHZR2 being a moderator, he doesn't have "magic posting privileges" that we don't, he has the exact same options. Implying otherwise is disingenuous.

I get that you don't like his posts. Cool, that's your prerogative. You don't get along with him? fine. But his moderator status doesn't fit in there. I can't recall a thread where he's leveraged that in any way to "tweak" a thread to suit some form of preconceived agenda with selected removal of other's posts (something he does, as a moderator, have the ability to do). He posts the same way as the rest of us do. You need to deal with that and stop blaming it on him being a mod (speaking of others citing a "typical pattern for somebody to blame others", right?
smirk.gif
), he has the right, like you, to speak his mind as long as it fits within the rules of this board. I think he does a good job of that.

And to be clear: One doesn't need to name an individual to imply that you are making reference to them or a group of people you've taken issue with in the past. We DO have memories. Trying to pan that off as "oh, well, I didn't name names" is a pretty passive-aggressive tactic IMHO.

JHZR2's posting doesn't need to be "held to a higher standard", why should it? He has the ability to moderate, meaning that if somebody is out of line, he can remove their post, lock a thread if it goes downhill...etc. But he is CERTAINLY allowed to voice his opinion (as I noted earlier, as long as it fits in with the rules of the board) just like you are. The fact that you think he being a mod means that he needs to "control himself more" when posting because he somehow holds this divine role of moderation is ridiculous.

The only thing "typical" is the reaction from those who broad-brush others when we are on opposite sides of the fence and there is a conflict of ideals. Using a person's status on the board against them and then petty scapegoat techniques like "not naming names" to try and distance once's self from the argument. Pointing fingers and all that nonsense. Own your posts. If you've got an opinion, have the balls to stand behind it and say who you are directing it at.

I should preface this by saying that I'm a big COO enthusiast and generally COO is a big consideration in my purchases.

In fact, I'm wearing USA made shoes, USA made jeans and a USA made belt right now. How many people can say that.

Who made a grandiose rant? I don't think JHZR2 citing the reasons for his buying habits in an attempt to explain his comments count as a rant
21.gif

No need to quote you. I figured it wouldn't be long before you spoke for someone else and not addressed to you. Follows the pattern. You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and no rules have broken on my part. And everything I posted is factual, so your post is irrelevant to me.

As said, others here have noted the same thing I have on many recent and not so recent threads. I just pointed out.

You have have great day.

No need to quote you. I figured it wouldn't be long before you spoke for someone else and not addressed to you. Follows the pattern. You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and no rules have broken on my part. And everything I posted is factual, so your post is irrelevant to me.

As said, others here have noted the same thing I have on many recent and not so recent threads. I just pointed out.

You have have great day.

Awwww, don't you worry honey I'm not butt-hurt by your passive-aggressive post at me either. It certainly follows the pattern
wink.gif

Everybody is entitled to their opinion as long as how it is expressed fits within the rules of this board. The difference is I have the balls to own mine.

You have a good day too!!

I'm not directing this at you, but how did what should have been a very tame OEM tire thread devolve to this?
DB puts Korean brand tires on their new big boy.
Maybe not a great marketing move, but no biggie and likely subject to a running change to Michelins in a month or so.
Please note that I have respect for most of your posts as well as those of sayjac and JHZR2.
Bad weekend in the Northeast?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm not directing this at you, but how did what should have been a very tame OEM tire thread devolve to this?
DB puts Korean brand tires on their new big boy.
Maybe not a great marketing move, but no biggie and likely subject to a running change to Michelins in a month or so.
Please note that I have respect for most of your posts as well as those of sayjac and JHZR2.
Bad weekend in the Northeast?

I don't know bud, I think the post that started it all off was this one:

Another bitter pill for the 'always first world' bunch. C'est la vie.

South Korea is a first-world nation as far as I'm aware. This was meant to be a nice poke in the side for myself, Trav, JHZR2...etc. Those of us who make it a point to mention that we shop first-world and put our money where our mouths are.

For information purposes, Hankook headquarters in S Korea.

Production locations:

Geumsan, South Korea
Daejeon, South Korea
Jiangsu, China
Jiaxing, China
Dunaújváros, Hungary
Bekasi, West Java, Indonesia (plant under construction)

Couple things:

It does not say Hankook is the "exclusive supplier"

It says:

Quote:
As of market launch, the new luxury sedan will initially be fitted with Hankook Tire Ventus Prime2 tires in size 245/55 R 17 102 W ex works.

[emphasis added]

The smallest wheel the car comes with in the US is 18...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back