Hankook Optimo H727 - I'm Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 727's on my Lexus LS430 and they are very smooth and are wearing very well. Also have them on my son's 2003 Monte Carlo SS and they have around 45K miles on them and they should last another 15K-20K... I also replace the tires with tread on them. LOL.

I was lured by the hype and the price of the Optimo 727s, and they SEEMED to be a great tire, but after 46,000 miles one of them just disintegrated for no apparent reason. Luckily, I was driving at about 40 mph when disaster struck, and there was a Goodyear/Dunlop/Hankook Dealer about 80 yards away !!
I shucked the whole set of 727s (had plenty of tread left) for a set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads -- it was like driving a completely different car -- with smoother ride, more positive steering, much quieter, and superior handling characteristics at all speeds.
The 727s are a 97T tire, while the Goodyears carry a 98T load/speed rating.
We live in the desert, and do a lot of mountain driving/touring at fairly high speeds. The Comfortreads perform beautifully on both dry and wet roads, and the car feels (at 130,000 miles) more stable than when brand new.
I'm glad I coughed up the extra bucks for the Goodyear Comfortreads-- the differences are WELL worth the money !!

Originally Posted By: 95MERC
I was lured by the hype and the price of the Optimo 727s, and they SEEMED to be a great tire, but after 46,000 miles one of them just disintegrated for no apparent reason. Luckily, I was driving at about 40 mph when disaster struck, and there was a Goodyear/Dunlop/Hankook Dealer about 80 yards away !!

Most stories of tires spontaneously failing are because the driver hit something and didn't notice or had a leak and didn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back