gulf motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
my previous quick lube went from castrol gtx with a champs lab filter to gulf motor oil with a champs lab filter and it's 25.95 plus tax for an oil change, and after they made the switch and also because of overfilling/mistakes, I stopped going and began being a DIYer

regardless, how is gulf motor oil, and is it worse than gtx (less additives) and is their syntheitc oil also weak? another quick lube, victory lane oil change, (multiple locations, one uses castrol, one uses formula shell and amsoil, one uses shell in addition to gulf synthetic for 40 dollars and mobil 1) and the mobil 1 oil change is 75 whereas their gulf synthetic is only 40, which makes me suspect it's not high quality and is similar to meijer brand synthetic or oreilly's brand oil which i heard had a weak additive package

is gulf motor oil similar to peak motor oil or is is like chevron supreme and isn't as marketed as castrol or pennzoil but is, in reality, a really good conventional and or syntheitc?

i've heard the conventional chevron supreme is good but i heard they also make a synthetic
is the chevron supreme synthetic any good or is mobil 1, amsoil, castrol, pennzoil better for synthetic and i should only use chevron for dino and leave synthetic to the "classic" ones which are sold everywhere and hodl more market share like mobil 1?

is gulf synthetic any good and how does it compare to chevron supreme or the "name brands" like mobil 1, amsoil, etc?

i was asking because i dind't know if i should DIY it with mobil 1 which i can get at walmart for 22.57 as it's been on sale + filter, or is it worthwhile to consider a synthetic gulf oiil change at a quick lube place that uses a decent mighty filter, i heard mightys were purolators and that champs lab ones were bad and were ecores like ac delco, supertech, stp (i mean similar to fram but not as bad as fram orange can, but neverhtless cheap, but still better than fram)

gulf synthetic is an ester based syntbetic approved by aston martin, its stout. use with confidence
wink.gif

Oh, the days of the Gulf stations and old fashion service. My Dad was a gulf oil user back in the 50s and 60s when you used a church key or one of those old fashion oil spouts that punctured the can, what a sound of days gone by.

Never lost an engine, nope, not one then...................

Originally Posted By: Olas
gulf synthetic is an ester based syntbetic approved by aston martin, its stout. use with confidence
wink.gif

I'm nearly certain that Gulf's synthetic which is approved by AM in Europe is not the same as what is sold here in the USA. Our Gulf syn. is most likely a Group III and I'm sure it's a very good oil although a little down the food chain from Mobil 1.
I would use it with confidence for a 7500 mile OCI in most applications...

Engineer20:
I would put most Group III syns in this category (good for approx. 7500 mi OCI) and use one of the big guns (Mobil 1, Amsoil SS, PU, Castrol gold etc..) if I wanted to extend further...this is just my opinion).

When we took my girlfriend's Civic in to get the timing belt done, they did an unauthorized oil change on it and put in Gulf Synthetic Blend. It seemed to hold up just fine for the 8-9 months we had it in the car. It was still a light, golden brown when draining it (for what that's worth). I put Quaker State in it after that oil change and noticed no difference in performance, sound, etc. In short, I would use it again.

Just as a side note, I noticed you have a lot of questions about which oil is better than what oil, but in reality any oil that is API SN certified, meets the manufacturer's specs (Dexos, etc.) and in the correct grade for your car(s) will work fine with sane oil change intervals. I really don't intend to be rude, but I think you're over-thinking it a bit.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Oh, the days of the Gulf stations and old fashion service. My Dad was a gulf oil user back in the 50s and 60s when you used a church key or one of those old fashion oil spouts that punctured the can, what a sound of days gone by.

Never lost an engine, nope, not one then...................

AH! The good old days. I remember them well. Still had that old spout until I threw it away when we moved several years back.

Just use Valvoline Maxlife for everything.

Drink a shot daily also. It will reinvigorate and clean digestive tracts. At least this is what I heard. I have not tried this for myself.

Maxlife is also good for older GM transmissions that where DEXRON III was an factory recommendation.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Just as a side note, I noticed you have a lot of questions about which oil is better than what oil, but in reality any oil that is API SN certified, meets the manufacturer's specs (Dexos, etc.) and in the correct grade for your car(s) will work fine with sane oil change intervals. I really don't intend to be rude, but I think you're over-thinking it a bit.

The OP has been overthinking it a bit for some time in a few epic length target starters.
I've advised him in the past as to what to do, but I've only had a few engines go 200K, so what do I know?
I do know that oil and filter choice seem to have no impact on engine life but the OP has yet to reach that level of enlightenment.

Quite a few. The next topic his chums up with the same basic question. I will post a link to were he can buy some Bulls Eye for 14 dollars for a 12 quart case.

Thanks for the serious replies, as for the jokers, well, meh. Anyways, I guess gulf is legit and I'll try it at the quick lube place sometime in the cold winter where I don't want to freeze to death in my I heated garage

I usually wash my car and hand wash it, but not in the winter. True story, my car wash froze, the soap, froze one time when I washed the car when I was a teen. After that, I learned not to wash the car or work on them in the winter anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back