Guitar strings recommendations, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, I've been playing and working on guitars for 35 years.
If you knew anything much,or how to understand what you read you'd understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
The action is best as low as you can get it and not have it fret out. I think that's what you're trying to say? And as far as the tone goes, 95% of it is in the hands of the player. This is why you can recognize players even if they're playing on sub par equipment.

I will agree that on an acoustic hearing all the fret buzz is nasty.

I agree mostly, but on an acoustic, I don't think 95% of the tone is due to the player. No matter how good you are, you won't make a cheap guitar sound like a Martin, Gibson, Taylor, etc. You have to have good wood to begin with. I do agree that a good player can sound good on anything. But he'll sound better(at least on an acoustic) on a Gibson or Martin than he will on a Sigma or a Harmony. Or an Ovation.
And if he's using heavier strings, he'll have better sound.

Have you ever tried Vinci strings for electric guitars? They came as originals on my jazz style Washburn electric with humbuckers. I play improvised jazz with arpeges that rather on the complicated side. Never expereienced better tonal fidelety on a guitar, that's piano like. I'm impressed with these strings that I never heard before. Super long sustension and still the minimum tonal variance amongst the brands till the end (I did measured digitally). They are also soft feeling, very linear on gliscendos. I prefer gaugage 9 to 10. I guess that's metallurgy matters in the know how.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
MarkC - Words have meanings, you made mistakes, and back peddling is lame.

Show me where I made a mistake. I doubt you know any more about guitars than you exhibit about most other things. Where am I backpedaling. Aren't you the one who said raising the action makes things worse?

Pablo -Those strings feel nice, but expect wear.
Do you have a fretless bass? The nylons work well on them.
You should probably adjust your pickups if these are new to your axe, for the best sound.

No not fretless - just regular a J-bass. I'm just not a wirewound string fan with this bass so far. But it's a trial and error thing - not so worried about wear.

I'm doing a little bit of hobby monkeying this fall, I'm keeping the original p'ups but I'm getting new strings, making a cherry wood pickguard and replacing the pots, using a good brand .047uF Orange Drop capacitor and installing a quality jack.

On your tone pot [Since you are replacing the pot anyway it can't hurt!], try scratching away the carbon track inside [pop the cover off first].
You cut across it and stop the flow at the end of the travel.
The region/travel at the beginning will have no tone loss whatsoever, but still have tone attenuation for the 98% of the rest of the movement.
The fullest range signal is then available when at normal full tone [10].
I do this on all of my guitars.
Fender has a tone pot that does this, but it is an easy mod with no downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back