Group 3 and Group 4 synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the difference between group 3 and group 4 synthetics but how do you tell which one is which? I dont see it on the bottle. I cant find on their websites. I am an avid Mobil 1 user but since searching to find group 4 oils Im not so sure. I know as of a couple of years ago, Mobil was a true synthetic but now I see speculation that they are not. Does anyone know how to find out or can tell me where to look? I appreciate all your help!

Look at the MSDS sheet and it will list CAS numbers that correspond to the oil types. Problem is, they all use a mix so it can be hard to tell the %. I don't remember the specific CAS numbers for PAO, but if you search you can find it.

From Mobil's website:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

The "including" is the operative term in that wording. Seems to indicate that they use other oils as well. This has been discussed SO many times.

If a quality "full synthetic" uses PAO group 4 and some group 3 as well, that doesn't mean it is an inferior oil to one that uses no group 3. It's the whole package with the additive system and how that oil performs. For example, Schaeffer's full synthetics use a blend of both of these base groups and their oils certainly perform above expectation considering the cost. I have found that even their blends (PAO and group II+) will regularly outperform some full synthetics. Their proprietary additive package is probably a big part of that performance.

I'm wondering that myself. Some say for instance Redline is a tough top of the line group V and the specs point to that. On the other hand Group III IV may be the best. If a person wants a oil that is tough and good for a friendly race or two what do you look for? Does track racers use II, III, IV, V or recycled oil? ;-)

I think that focusing on the base-oil group of an oil is the wrong place to start for deciding on which oil to use. Focus on additive levels instead. Racing oils typically have higher levels of certain critical anti-wear additives than street oils. If I were doing the type of racing you are describing, I would be looking at BradPenn or Schaeffer racing oils. For the stoplight racing crowd, I'm not sure a special racing oil is required. Redline is certainly a good oil, but expensive and probably overkill in most situations.

36.gif

You don't see to many websites advertising group III or IV oils because a very large percentage of the oils out there are using group III.

Amsoil clearly states that there xl line is group III and all other oils are group IV based. At least you can be reasonably sure what you are getting from them

That said there are some good group III oils out there. Personally, I have two problems with them. One is they won't come clean about what they are selling us. We certainly have a right as consumers to know what we are paying for. Second, the price is just too high for mineral based motor oil. I would spend a little more and get the PAO we all thought we were getting in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back