Grinders, Removing Rust on Wrought Iron : OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paint is only worth the effort you put into it...and only as good as the base itself.

OT: but I need some advice.
Whipped out the Metabo and brought all the loose paint off the flat surfaces on my wrought iron gate. Than used 1/2" Wide bridle version on a drill to reach the underside of the fence. I knocked off about 50-60 of the underside which is as good as it's going to get...

I thought I knocked off all the loose areas on the curvature shapes of the wrought iron.

Started painting today. Notice I missed quite a bit on the curvature spots so I plan to reattack this once more.

Is there a faster, better way of doing this just short and steady.

Had it been a easy choice, I would have cut it all, brought it to my guys who does powdercoating and then reweld it back. Ha, if only he had a media blaster large enough ;-)

Rustoleum is the brand I'm using already. It's got quite a bit of ~solids~ in it....

Can for can, their *red rust can* is heavier than then black paint can...

I'm okay with the remaining rust on the underside of the wrought iron fence. It's those damm curve patterns with the solid yet not *solid* paint that is *tenting* but not truely adhering to the base (metal)

A portable grit blaster is the third large purchase I made in my wrenching career (after oxy-acetylene and air compressor for painting). I've made good use of it around the house and for my rusty cars. It makes excellent prep work before painting.

Always looking for ~good tools~ to add to my stash. Was about to purchase a $$$ HVLP setup. Not the home depot specials but a really nice model. Decided it was probably going to be a 1X tool use so I negated on that.

I guess it's back to the hammer and beat up screwdriver thing....

I'm not able to find a good attachment for either my grinder or drill that will fit the profiles and work the loose stuff off effectively...

Metabo took cared of the large easy accessiable pieces, then I stepped it down to a 1/2" wide bridled crimped brush for other areas, the these damm damm curvatures...

I've been putting this off (repainting the wrought iron railing on the front and back porch).

How about more detail on what you are doing to get the surface ready. What grit or material on the sanding disk? Do you try and sand off the entire top layer of paint - in other words get it back down to the iron surface or just knock off the loose and rusty spots?

I've some luck with a wire brush head attached to my electric drill but it only gets the really bad and loose rust off. A wire brush prep will not give you a very smooth surface to paint on.

I did this job about 6-7 years ago and tried buying some automotive type of paint. Even in the outdoors it about knocked me out from the strong fumes - bad stuff. I ended up not being able to use it so I just went with a good oil based white enamel.

Last edited:
Grinder with a various brushes. More crimped and couple areas with a knotted brush. There is not real good way to get to mint surface unless you use paint stripper as the paint on it is pretty adhered on alot of places.

For the spokes, curvatures, corners, underside - I switched it up to a drill with a 1/2 head brush...This was the more tedious of the work as I did not have a *lock out on the engagement* of the drill and just overall ergonomics.

Pressure wash.
Primed. Let it cure for about a week. Pressure wash again.
Walked over and knocked over any areas with a screwdriver and hammer.

And then the tedious job of painting with a brush.

Just wrapped up this weekend . I was over analyzing it and thinking about priming and painting with a micro HVLP gun setup, and decided to *go* and get it done.

Good luck. It's just tedious...

I see grinders are sold very cheap at the "Cheap Store". How do I use them?

I want some tool to cut shrubbery. I have the chain saw but the chain slips too often :-( I am thinking, may be I can use grinder to cut throw an inch thick branch easily.

- Vikas

Last edited:
An air powered needle scaler is a great tool for removing rust and paint off wrought iron fences. i bought one at harbor freight and i am really happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back