Greatest single motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Here is one of my H2s. That's a mix of Klotz in the tank and on the injectors as this was one of the first starts after freshening up a top end. Sounds pretty wicked, right!

Sounds great to me, but I'd call the smoke a tree hugger's worst nightmare.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
Here's some more Honda RCs in action, no other sound like them in all motorcycledom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIij9U_LZw&feature=related

You can say what you want about other bikes, but NOBODY could or would EVER build one of these bikes in the 1960s. These things shook the world then and now.

Well, actually, Moto Guzzi built a 500cc DOHC liquid cooled V8 in 1955! So, in reality, a multi cylinder motorcycle engine had been previously built prior to Honda's venture into building multis. Honda's key to success was to persevere adversity and continue to perfect the multis into race proven winners. Here's an interesting clip about the Guzzi V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_7zwGFGwI

The video with the RG500 is impressive. Those guys are good! Not too many riders are capable of wringing out one of those things. Wild instant power delivery in a very light package takes a lot of practice to control. Those guys have some serious gonads.

I'd have to say the original Kawasaki Z1 900 because they say it was a King Kong for it's day, and also because my dad had one.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Here's some more Honda RCs in action, no other sound like them in all motorcycledom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIij9U_LZw&feature=related

You can say what you want about other bikes, but NOBODY could or would EVER build one of these bikes in the 1960s. These things shook the world then and now.

Well, actually, Moto Guzzi built a 500cc DOHC liquid cooled V8 in 1955! So, in reality, a multi cylinder motorcycle engine had been previously built prior to Honda's venture into building multis. Honda's key to success was to persevere adversity and continue to perfect the multis into race proven winners. Here's an interesting clip about the Guzzi V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_7zwGFGwI

Yeah, that was a feat, but how many World Championships did it win? I'll tell you -- Zero. That bike wasn't raced very long because of reliability and cost. MG retired it very early. Now, the 4 cylinder bikes from MV Agusta were very successful and quite advanced for their day -- But still no 6-cylinder, 16,000 rpm.

Honda won 5 consecutive World Championship with the RC166.

"That bike wasn't raced very long because of reliability and cost. MG retired it very early."

True. But the real problem with the engine was that it was too sophisticated for the available technology and materials of the time.

I'm not diminishing the achievement of the Honda engines. However, one must realize they also had teething problems and it was their commitment of vast resources to the program that made them succeed.

If you compare the Guzzi engine to the Honda engines strictly from a technological point of view, the Guzzi engine was obviously more advanced. Liquid cooling and a V configuration are the two most recognizable differences. I wouldn't doubt that Honda took more than a few ques from the Guzzi design.

Had the Guzzi V8 been brought out ten years later, I would venture to say that they likely would have had better racing results. However, that's all history now.

boraticus:

I'm not saying that the MG V-8 was a technical "tour de force" just that it didn't have much effect on the motorcycle world. It was basically an oddity. You to give credit to Guzzi for making it as it must have been expensive. They really rolled the dice on that one. I posted this with the intent of seeing what bike people really thought affected motorcycling because of it's influence.

Another bike I feel that shaped motorcycling was the original Triumph Speed Twin introduced in 1937. This is famous Triumph twin designed by the legendary Edward Turner. This has to be the first "modern" motorcycle with many of the features found in later motorcycles. This bike influenced all of motorcycling.

The reason Guzzi didn't develop or have more success with the V8 is because they,along with others,voluntarily pulled out of motorcycle racing in 1957.MV didn't,and that is why they went on to be so dominant.

I'd go along with the Triumph twin as the most influential bike of all time.It wasn't the best of the British twins,mechanically or handling wise,but it was the lightest,and the engine responded better to tuning.All that everyone else was doing right up to the '80's was to make a better bike than Triumph.The Yamaha XS1 was obvious,but the Honda and the Suzuki and Kawasaki 2 strokes were just aimed at making a bike go as well as a Bonnie.And they are still trying to make a bike to capture the Triumph feel and look.

The Honda 4 was the dream bike alright,and i wanted one.When I did I hated it - sure it had heaps of power and could go fast,but the handling was dismal,dangerous in fact.I had only ridden British bikes before I got the Honda,and it was a scary eye opener as to what Japanese riders were coping with....and considering it was all normal.It wasn't,bikes should handle that bad....Triumphs,BSA's,Nortons and Ducati's didn't handle like that.

Some day I hope to wake up and see a Triton sitting in my garage. I've showed pictures of them to my wife many times -- hint, hint....

It's the name of Ford's family of V8-V10 truck engines. Also, it was a Bonneville engine in a Norton Featherbed framed chassis in a cafe racer style. So yes, you're right on the hybrid.

Some day I hope to wake up and see a Triton sitting in my garage. I've showed pictures of them to my wife many times -- hint, hint....

Been there,done that...a long time ago.It was a T110 engine in a wideline frame,but with Bonnie cams,lightened timing gears and rockers.A bit ahead of it's time in 1973 with a red frame - the frame was hung on a line painting Coca Cola vending machines.

scan0027k.jpg

Japanese: For me it's a toss up between the Honda V45/65 bikes and the KZ650 and higher displacement KZs.

European: Toss up between the Ducati 1198 and the Guzzi V11 bikes

American: Undecided~

Robenstein said:
I always loved the Honda CB750 SOHC bikes. I have a 69 (with a 1080 big bore kit) and a 74.

The one with the 1080 kit was my fathers 70's drag bike. It is a heck of a ride with the OEM narrow rear tire.

I have to agree with the 69 Honda 750 4 cyl, . It is the nicest looking bikes ever. Though , many could populate my favorite to look at list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back