Great rental car experience.

As we all know so well, rental car companies and rental vehicles get some of the most negative sentiment here. With that in mind I would like to share a positive experience. Long story short, three of us were in Anchorage and Fairbanks AK the past 5 days. We shared a Turo rental for the first three. The car got us from "A to B" adequately enough but the experience was not the best. It was a very bare bones silver Nissan Versa with 90K+ miles. The car was somewhat dirty and parked on a open lot in not the best part of Anchorage with a lock box on it. Although it was after May 1 it still had metal studded tires on the ground, which was illegle and noisey and past the mandatory date for removal. The car had a significant pull to one side, but worst of all the brakes squealed badly. It sounded like metal on metal. We did not trust its safety at all.

On day four now in Fairbanks we needed another vehicle as two of us was driving out to Chena hot springs. I went to Priceline and found a cheap rental from Avis at the Fairbanks airport. I did not know what it would be since I got a discount for "agencys choice" meaning they would give me whatever they had available. We joked it "well can't be worse that the Versa" before we arrived. To my surprise, they handed me the keys to an immaculate deep blue colored loaded out RAM Bighorn 4x4 with 20K miles for almost the same price as the beat up 90K Versa. The desk agent was great too. Zero hassle from Avis. It was great driving that luxury RAM out to Chena hot springs in the Alaskan interior. Great vehicle and overall experience from Avis!

Last edited:
I'm glad things worked out for you but being stuck with a gas guzzling behemoth would not be my idea of a great outcome. that's about the opposite of anything I would rent to get around a city.

I'm glad things worked out for you but being stuck with a gas guzzling behemoth would not be my idea of a great outcome. that's about the opposite of anything I would rent to get around a city.
Sorry but I was not "stuck with a gas guzzling behemoth".

You must have missed tha part of us driving out to Chena hot springs. 130 miles all highway. The big beautiful luxury RAM got 24-25 mpg. Beautiful vehicle, luxury ride with some of the most comfortable seats on the planet. Ill take the RAM. You can have the squealing, dirty, beat up Nissan Versa.

What is the fuel economy of the 2023 Ram 1500 5.7 L?

2023 RAM 1500 Gas Mileage | Milledgeville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

The 2023 RAM 1500 is well-known to drivers for its brawn,
but did you know that the RAM 1500 MPG is exceptionally fuel efficient? In fact, the RAM 1500 gas mileage can reach up to 21 mpg/city and 29 mpg/hwy.

Last edited:
Had a similar experience in Orlando with Avis. We landed and finally got to our rental, a GMC Terrain, which wasn't full of gas and a bit dirty. My wife suggested we ask about getting a different vehicle and the AVIS rep right at the lot was very helpful. While we just expected a clean vehicle of the same type, he gave us a Platinum Expedition that made our week of touring Florida very comfortable with 4 adult sized people and luggage. I used to rent a lot from AVIS so maybe that helped.

We have rented from Enterprise in NW Florida twice. Once in Pace and once in Pensacola. Both times we got clean, well cared for cars and courteous service. The last time I had my choice of a Dodge Challenger or a Toyota Corolla. I took the Toyota - didn't want to attract attention of the local authorities. The Corolla has the excitement of a refrigerator with tires but that's on Toyota not Enterprise.

It was a very bare bones silver Nissan Versa with 90K+ miles. The car was somewhat dirty and parked on a open lot in not the best part of Anchorage with a lock box on it. Although it was after May 1 it still had metal studded tires on the ground, which was illegle and noisey and past the mandatory date for removal. The car had a significant pull to one side, but worst of all the brakes squealed badly. It sounded like metal on metal. We did not trust its safety at all.
LOL Remember the old "Ugly Duckling" rental company? That car would have been perfect for them.

My parents were faithful Ugly Duckling renters. I remember going to the Grand Canyon in an Ugly Duckling car that at the time was at least ten years old. A big 'ol Ford, like a LTD or whatever they were called in those days. It probably still burned leaded gas. We made it, obviously, but for just a few bucks more we could have gotten a much newer car.

FIFY.

I'm glad things worked out for you. Being given fantastic truck like that would be my idea of the greatest possible outcome. That's exactly what I would rent to get around a city!

You must have missed tha part of us driving out to Chena hot springs. 130 miles all highway. The big beautiful luxury RAM got 24-25 mpg. Beautiful vehicle, luxury ride with some of the most comfortable seats on the planet. Ill take the RAM.
I was unexpectedly given a Silverado pickup last year in Las Vegas. Nearly new, too; it only had about 3000 miles on it. I understand the appeal..... It was really comfy!

As we all know so well, rental car companies and rental vehicles get some of the most negative sentiment here. With that in mind I would like to share a positive experience. Long story short, three of us were in Anchorage and Fairbanks AK the past 5 days. We shared a Turo rental for the first three. The car got us from "A to B" adequately enough but the experience was not the best. It was a very bare bones silver Nissan Versa with 90K+ miles. The car was somewhat dirty and parked on a open lot in not the best part of Anchorage with a lock box on it. Although it was after May 1 it still had metal studded tires on the ground, which was illegle and noisey and past the mandatory date for removal. The car had a significant pull to one side, but worst of all the brakes squealed badly. It sounded like metal on metal. We did not trust its safety at all.

On day four now in Fairbanks we needed another vehicle as two of us was driving out to Chena hot springs. I went to Priceline and found a cheap rental from Avis at the Fairbanks airport. I did not know what it would be since I got a discount for "agencys choice" meaning they would give me whatever they had available. We joked it "well can't be worse that the Versa" before we arrived. To my surprise, they handed me the keys to an immaculate deep blue colored loaded out RAM Bighorn 4x4 with 20K miles for almost the same price as the beat up 90K Versa. The desk agent was great too. Zero hassle from Avis. It was great driving that luxury RAM out to Chena hot springs in the Alaskan interior. Great vehicle and overall experience from Avis!
How was Fairbanks? I've always wanted to check out Alaska. Hoping to make it there one day.

Rent-A-Cars.....another thing to review!
Thanks for the reminder. Which company shines in Europe?
Sixt! I've rented multiple M cars from then when in Germany, nothing like going top speed legally :) Europcar is affordable and has worked fine for me a few times too.

Turo has many scammers as far as car rental owners. Buyer beware trying recollect on existing damage. Not all of them just be very careful.

It’s a total hassle to dispute etc.

The best one was friends rental where a Toureag required double normal price to get out of airport parking and his wife found the owners parole papers in glove box.

Back