Grease for my WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

I have two items on my WRX that need grease and that I need to know what would work the best.

One is the front wheel bearings. I have to remove the knuckles to service the ball joints. I also have to replace one of the knuckles. Thus I will be doing some disassembly work. Before I reassemble everything I would like to use a grease that will both hold up and not be affected by water.

This car is a daily driver, an occasional spirited driver, and the occasional auto-cross driver. I'm in the Northeast so water and road-salt are a concern. I have new bearings and seals as needed for this job just in case. The car currently has 22k miles on it so it's still relatively new.

The other area of service is with respect to the swaybar bar bushings. I have urethane bushings that I manually lubricate (no grease fittings). Currently I have been using LocTite ViperLube NLGI-grade 2/Severe-duty GC-LB synthetic grease. I got it as part of a promo package at an auto event, read a little about it and decided to use it for this particular application. So far its held up pretty well.

My main concern is the grease for the front wheel bearings.

Any suggestions?

I'm limited as to what's available around here. IMO, there are no real good suppliers of 'specialty' or even 'over the shelf' greases, other than the standard lithium based or moly lubes, etc.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind ordering it, I have had real good luck with two Amsoil synthetic greases, the Series 2000 Racing Grease and their heavy duty GHD grease.

What greases are available to you around Greenwich?

Put it this way, there is only one parts store left here in town. There is an Auto Zone, a NAPA, and another brand-name store one town over.

Generally one will find the standard lithium based and the moly based greases. Typically the black or gold colored greases when not the lithium type.

There really aren't any "hot rod" shops around either. For that I would have to travel a bit and even then there's no guarantee that they will either carry or know about what to use. I shudder when I hear the "just use it, they're all the same" phrase or when I get the "I really don't know what to tell you" phrase.

I tend to rely on the various Boards, such as BITOG, etc. for information and then I will go out of my way to track down and purchase what I need.

yep, buy amsoil grease from the sponsors, or else contact salesrep to buy a few things of schaeffer's #274. Three tubes ought to set you back roughly $20.

Ive used the amsoil high-end grease (its the newer version of the 2000 series mentioned above), but I dont recall the code. Schaeffe's #274 also gets really high marks and Id use it in an instant (in fact, I have some on order right now).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
yep, buy amsoil grease from the sponsors, or else contact salesrep to buy a few things of schaeffer's #274. Three tubes ought to set you back roughly $20.

Ive used the amsoil high-end grease (its the newer version of the 2000 series mentioned above), but I dont recall the code. Schaeffe's #274 also gets really high marks and Id use it in an instant (in fact, I have some on order right now).

The Series 2000 is still the 2000. The Series name was just wiped out of the 0w-30 motor oil and in the past some 2 cycle.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/grg.aspx?zo=1132530

As well as the Amsoil and Schaeffers suggestions, Redline make an excellent wheel bearing grease, CV-2 that is used a lot in racing, as does Neo with their general purpose Z-12 and their high temp HP-800 racing greases and HP CC-1 or CV500 for CV joints
I've used their Z-12 and their old F1/Champ Car CV-25 CV joint grease for years in race, road and off-road vehicles with good results , however.....

.....if water washout is a real concern, use a Calcium Sulfonate soap grease. It will stay much longer than any lithium or aluminium soap grease and resist corrosion. I've use Lubrimatic marine grease with excellent results on trailer bearings and it also has a good Timken OK load rating and good high temp properties.

Mail order might be your only option for the good stuff.

No, I tried looking before I posted and couldn't find one either.
I'll copy whatever data is on the tin and post.

Just has a drop point of 550*F.
No Timken OK load rating on the tin. Pretty sure I had a TDS somewhere, I'll have look around.

Last edited:
I think I'll send them an E-mail tomorrow and see if I can get some numbers or a PDS out of them. It's rated GC-LB so it can't be all bad.

Lowe's sells this marine grease around here and the fix it guy at work uses it to repack bearings on shop tools after the OEM grease runs out. He said he's had good luck with it.

I think he only uses it because it's what was laying around, though.
grin2.gif

Thanks Johnny.
I had a TDS somewhere, but I suspect it was in my old PC that crashed.

And FWIW, I started using the Lubrimatic Marine grease on our horse float wheel bearings as they have poor seals and even Neo Z12 (a good general purpose synthetic lithium complex grease
) wasn't stopping the bearings dying prematurely from corrosion. Frequent river crossings through the causeway below our then house were the culprit.

Last edited:
I got the Schaeffer's #274 bearing grease and I got the parts today.

The bearing is not a tapered bearing. It is a straight semi-sealed unit. It has grease in it but it looks and smells like a packing grease as opposed to a wheel bearing grease. I may be wrong though.

So, how would I go about effectively removing the grease from the bearing to pack in the Schaeffer's grease?

Is there any non-destructive solvent that would do the job? Or do I have to go with what's in there and get myself another type of "off the shelf grease"?

The car has been sitting for about 4 weeks and I need to get it rolling again.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back