Grease and oil on pistol rails + stp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used SuperLube spray on my Ruger MKII by spraying the bolt down and letting the solvent evaporate. My gun runs better lubed that way than anything else I've ever tried.

I saw that SuperLube grease in Harbor Freight one day, but passed on it. I'm tempted to get some to try anyway.

I use it on all of my swimming pool components as well, and I've never had a leak in 10 years. The stuff stays put unbelievably. When I had my boat I would use it on the prop shaft and after a full day of high speed skiing and running around it was still there when I pulled it out of the water. I use either Super Lube or Moly Grease on all of my firearms. It's usually decided by which one I grab first. Bill T.

Quote:
PTFE - how it works
SUPER LUBE® is enhanced with PTFE. PTFE is the most slippery material known to science today.
All surfaces have microscopic irregularities, which create friction when rubbed against each other. The introduction of PTFE into these irregularities smoothes out the surfaces, reducing the wear and sticking that friction causes. The micron-sized particles of PTFE in SUPER LUBE® are carried to these surface irregularities by the base lubricant and are ironed into place by the action of the two moving surfaces. A proprietary process keeps the PTFE particles dispersed in the base lubricant assuring a continual replenishment of PTFE to the surface irregularities.

http://www.super-lube.com/ptfe-how-it-works-ez-8.htm
Not so sure of that. PTFE is not well regarded by many.

The lubricants 101 appears to be a good starter reference though.

There are a lot of gun oils that use PTFE, from Break Free CLP to RemOil and Tetra.

It is of very questionable benefit in engines, but in guns it should work quite well.

PTFE likes to bond to stationary objects rather than moving ones. Instead of bonding to pistons and crankshafts and camshafts, it bonds to oil passages and oil filters, restricting oil flow.

Now, if the PTFE were applied to those parts before they were installed, you might see some benefit.

In a gun where things are at rest most of the time it will give the PTFE a chance to attach to the slide rails and barrel, etc. There really isn't anywhere it can bond that will harm the gun, or where it won't be stripped out during cleaning if it globs up. We're also talking very small amounts of oil compared to an engine.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
PTFE is not well regarded by many.

There is nothing that exists on this planet that someone doesn't "like". It almost gets to be a joke after a while. Bill T.

PTFE doesn't like to bond to anything other than itself. It take significant prep to get it to stick to frying pans under very high heat.

I see no way that it will stick to dirty bare metal in the tiny (1%) amounts added to oil.

Even if it's not bonding to the metal, if it's in suspension between the two metal parts when they rub together, it should lessen the friction.

I think we're managing to get a little ahead of ourselves here. Guns are a lot like cars in the fact most damage from lubrication comes from the lack of it in general, rather than using the wrong type. Most car owners don't change their oil enough, and a lot of gun owners run their guns dry. The result from both is far more damaging than using "the wrong kind of grease or oil". There are literally scores of different lubricants out there that will do a satisfactory job in keeping a gun up and running. The key is to use them! I can't count the guns I've seen over the years at ranges with problems of one kind or another that lacked any lubrication what so ever. If they stole their wife's tube of Vagasil they would have been better off! The same with cars. I've pulled out dipsticks that looked like they were plunged into blacktop sealer. The key is whatever you prefer to use, the important thing is to use it. Bill T.

Bill I agree with you, but this is Bitog so I'm picking nits.
wink.gif

If you go to YouTube there are a couple of videos there from a guy named Yaeger (I think) who has a website called http://www.TacticalResponse.com. The guy attended Glock armorer's school. Look under 'Lubricating the Glock.'

The guy recommends grease for handguns and rifles. He says that there is no reason to buy some special high-priced gun oil and says that it is okay to use high temperature wheel bearing grease. He used BreakFree CLP to clean the inside of the gun barrel and no gun cleaner anywhere else (unless the gun is very dirty). But he did not say that you have to use BreakFree. You could use Hoppes No. 9 for the cleaning the inside of the gun barrel.

He says that it is important, at least for the Glock, not to over lubricate or under lubricate. 6 drops of grease should be enough to lubricate the Glock.

He seems to know what he is talking about as far as I can tell. Nothing he said went against the training I have received from professional range instructors. In fact he knows stuff that a lot of people do not know like how to check out a Glock for proper functioning.

I know a range instructor who has definitely put thousands of rounds through his .40 Cal SIG using wheel bearing grease to lubricate it and the gun still looks nearly new.

So it looks to me like grease is the way to go for lubricating guns (except perhaps in very cold weather) and you don't really need some special gun grease. Wheel bearing grease you can buy in an auto parts store should be good enough. But don't put too much grease on a gun.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've never found a better way to clean a Glock barrel than a slightly oversized phosphor bronze bore brush and hot running water. It takes about 30 seconds to get them absolutely spotless inside.

Wheel bearing grease is fine if you are in a hot climate where it won't solidify on you. Makes a mess to clean as well.

The fact that he is using BF CLP as a dedicated cleaner makes me question his knowledge. Cleaning is it's weakest area.

I just mixed up a small batch of Amsoil moly EP synthetic extreme pressure grease with some Mobil 1 10W-30 extended protection. I'd have to say that it's about a ratio of 3 parts grease 5 parts oil. That grease really is incredibly thick stuff.

I put it into a 3cc syringe that came with a printer cartridge refill kit and it flows through the needle fairly easily. It should be perfect for precision application of lube to the slide of my Glock.

It's about the consistency of pudding, which is just about perfect if you ask me.

I'm no chemist, so I must ask. Doesn't Lucas Oil Stabilizer fall into the same category as STP, but a little thinner? Anyone else seen and played with the gear crank demonstrater they used to have on the counter of auto parts stores? Bill T.

I used some of my grease mix on my Glock 17 last night during USPSA practice. I fired 150 rounds, and a couple of times did 36-40 rounds in very short order which got the gun quite hot.

I took the slide off after every run and looked at it. The lube thinned out quite a bit, and had coated the entire inside of the slide rail. It wasn't runny at all, it was sticking to the metal very well. I was actually surprised at how much it thinned out, considering how thick it was when I applied it.

I'll run it like this a few more times, but I think I may actually end up adding a bit more grease to the mix to bring it to around 50:50 to make it a wee bit thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back