Goundhog Day (AKA - Another surging engine....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my mom's 2011 Troy Bilt Bronco ready to sell this spring. She bought this and a massive MTD snowblower at the same time, then promptly tore her rotator cuff. She's since recovered, but doesn't want to handle large power equipment anymore. I was able to unload the snowblower on CL this winter, now on to the Bronco. The snow on the ground says otherwise, but prime selling season’s got to be starting in a couple weeks.

This tiller was left outside all summer and fall. It wouldn't start, so I just drug it into the shed and left it lay there. I brought it back to my house this winter and was able to get it running with a good spray of carb cleaner in the intake. It now starts fine, but runs with a surge. The surge goes away under load. Looks like I’m going to have to tear the carb down. I’ll check for air leaks first, but this thing sat outside with gas in it for a while. My $$ on crud in the carb.

This all takes me back to this summer, when I was rebuilding my old ’84 Troy Bilt Horse with the 8hp Briggs I/C engine. It also had a surging issue, which turned out to be slop in the governor linkage. One $2 spring later, and she ran fine. But boy, was it ever a beast to track down the cause of that issue.

This isn’t news to anyone, but the build quality between that ’84 Horse and this new MTD Bronco is so different it’s not even funny. Parts for the Briggs are readily available for the most part, and there were tons of internet resources. That carb was a solid chunk of iron, this one is plastic and flimsy metal. All I know about the Bronco’s engine is that it is a Troy Bilt branded china clone. Partstree does have a parts diagram, but most parts aren’t even available. Google results are pretty much nil. It makes me want to hold on to my Horse as long as I can, because they really don’t make them like that anymore.

Here’s hoping a good cleaning solves my issue, otherwise I might as well buy a new carb. Here’s also hoping you don’t see me here in a week posting a “help with surging carb” thread.

In a pinch, I've been able to get away with just dropping the carb fuel bowl and blowing out the main orifice & emulsion tube with Gumout or BG aerosol. Didn't even remove the carb from the engine. From the carb's front, shooting cleaner into any orifices is also SOP. These are usually idle air bleed, bowl vent, etc. and tend to gunk up easily also.

These jobs have been helping friends/neighbors post-Sandy or during power outages so time and resources were limited, but the results were terrific.

A splash of Gumout Regane cleaner in the fuel tank once the engine was running took care of the rest.

On certain Tecumseh carbs, the main jet is the bolt that secures the bowl to the carb body...two side holes and the main metering jet in the center machined into it.

Well, the good news is that after two carb cleanings the engine now runs fine. I've got it on CL, had several responses so far so fingers crossed!

I still can't get over the sound difference between these OHV engines and my flatheads. Flatheads are all I have. It's amazing how much more quietly the OHV engines run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back