Got the oil picked for the new rig...Valvoline WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the south so cold starts aren't really an issue for me, but being in northern Michigan I would think you would want a good quality synthetic for those -20 degree mornings. But you would know better then me since I've never even felt temperatures below zero in my life.

Originally Posted By: car51
VWB/Durablend or even MaxLife will do the job

x10.... run vwb its easily found "in stock" everywhere...i hate hunting down synpower

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Nice truck...but no power stroke? C'mon man your killing me.

When someone refers to a pickup truck as a "rig", and speaks of the "long haul", you'd assume that there's a diesel engine under the hood.

Maybe 10 years ago I would agree. Modern Diesels suck...they are time bombs with HUGE outpourings of cash waiting at the end of a poop smear rainbow. The days of half a million miles on lite duty truck engines are long gone

I will never own another...ever.
A local tow truck company sold off 5 new tow truck with the PS diesel at a great loss because they were too much trouble with all the repairs on the engine and emission systems

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
On a brand new truck I'd spend a few extra bucks per OCI and go with a full synthetic. Certainly nothing wrong with VWB, but I'm not comfortable running a conventional oil more than about 5000 miles. OLMs seem to go much longer than that. VWB meets the specs for our Jeep, but the OLM runs out to around 9000 miles. No way am I going to run a conventional oil that long.

I'd run a full synthetic, change per the OLM, and forget about the UOAs.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Also, do yourself a favor & leave that factory fill in for 3,000-5,000.
WHY ?

Can't speak to the OP, but I personally don't care for V diesels, just inlines. And Cummins burned me bad on two 15L ISX's, so that pretty much knocks me out of the HD pickup diesel market. It would take a darn serious need to buy a diesel in a pickup nowadays, for me. Who knows, maybe OP has similar reasoning. Just can't justify the cost.

Northern Michigan was made for Valvoline Synpower full synthetic. It'll flow better around zero degrees or below than the conventional. Also oxidizes less over an OCI and leaves less piston deposits.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Can't speak to the OP, but I personally don't care for V diesels, just inlines. And Cummins burned me bad on two 15L ISX's, so that pretty much knocks me out of the HD pickup diesel market. It would take a darn serious need to buy a diesel in a pickup nowadays, for me. Who knows, maybe OP has similar reasoning. Just can't justify the cost.
When I drove trucks in the old days one of the companies I drove for had a Cummins vt903 I hated the thing. The 8v82 Detroits were really nice though.

My reason for buying a gas truck over another diesel was simply about reliability. Modern diesels suck...they are expensive as all [censored] to operate and thanks to emmisoins requirements and the constant fight for more power they are no longer reliable. Just my experience ymmv

The gas motors have tons of power these days, are more reliable than ever and have the same towing capacity in SRW trucks and anyways I don't tow anything approaching these numbers.

On a side note I've decided to go with QS GB. Found it about $3 per jug cheaper and it's just as readily available. Looks good on paper and It meets the Ford spec as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Branson304
*Buys $50,000 truck*

*Cheaps out on oil*

Why don't you just save money on all those UOAs & get Valvoline SynPower & run the OLM & be done with it?

Because this is a very asinine post. But again this takes actual thought and analysis not feelings, so your post can be forgiven.

QSGB is another great choice. What's the sump capacity on this bad boy? I'm assuming this 6.2l is the same one used in the raptor?

Mobil Super 5K is right there in price with the QSGB, and the Mobil Super is guaranteed to go 5,000 miles. Either one is a fine choice, and I would definitely run either in a new engine.

I don't understand the big push for everyone to go synthetic. The conventional oil meets SN, the synthetic oil meets SN. I think people just bought into the 70s hype over synthetic. I could see if conventional oil was SL rated and Synthetic SN. They both have excellent ratings to serve well in 3000 to 5000 mile oil changes. It's kinda crazy to pay more for synthetic to get the same rating. I am surprised no one ranted about Valvolines weak additive PAC

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't understand the big push for everyone to go synthetic. The conventional oil meets SN, the synthetic oil meets SN. I think people just bought into the 70s hype over synthetic. I could see if conventional oil was SL rated and Synthetic SN. They both have excellent ratings to serve well in 3000 to 5000 mile oil changes. It's kinda crazy to pay more for synthetic to get the same rating. I am surprised no one ranted about Valvolines weak additive PAC

lol,right! i think most are starting to get the hint that while valvoline doesn't jump off the page at you...its real world performance is tough to beat. Ive had two cars go over 200000 on it...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

You're kidding, right? Valv Synpower not only exceeds SN GF-5, like its cheaper cousin VWB, Valv Synpower also exceeds GM 4718M and dexos1.

That means a lot of extra performance tests the conventional oil doesn't pass.

In addition, a full synthetic flows better cold and leaves less piston deposits, all things we want. Lasts longer too because its basestocks don't oxidize as much with heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back