Got new tires mounted. WTH is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some inaccurate terminology being used here.

If the bead were really "torn," as some keep saying in this thread, you'd likely know. A truly broken bead would be noticeable, because that's significant structural damage to the tire. The "bead" is the actual cord running through the tire around the opening for the wheel.

In my four years of working in a tire shop I never saw a bead broken during installation. You could do it, but it's not common and not easy to do.

Sometimes there was extra rubber flashing around the bead area on new tires. That could have been shaved off during mounting. They could also have scraped a little rubber off the very bottom of the bead area during mounting. Not the area where it seals to the rim, but below that. That's not great, but it's not the end of the world. It would be more of a cosmetic thing, even though it's in an area you can't see.

It's worth having checked out at the tire shop, but it's very possible the tire is just fine.
m50_img.gif

Yes, someone tore the rubber that covers the bead. Can happen very easily when mounting the top bead, especially on a steel wheel, when done wrong. I would bet you could see the steel bead on the inside, and yes they can leak.

Last edited:
Thank you all for responding.
I took it back and the tech claimed it was just rubber debris stuck in the tire. there was no air leak between when i pumped it up during weekend and today.
will monitor pressure closely.

I would have someone else break that bead down, and look yourself. All he did was break it down, and rip off the chunk he tore out of the tire in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I would have someone else break that bead down, and look yourself. All he did was break it down, and rip off the chunk he tore out of the tire in the first place.

it was a different guy, much older compared to the kids who worked the weekend. i believed him because he didn't feed me any [censored] and said himself the tire has to be removed to be checked. i didn't demand it or anything, just asked what it was.
regardless, the tire holds pressure, i'm happy.
thanks again.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I took it back and the tech claimed it was just rubber debris stuck in the tire. there was no air leak between when i pumped it up during weekend and today.

Monitoring for very slow leaks or seeps can be frustrating due to temp changes and such. Get your regular bottle of Windex and spritz the area of the rim and tire involved. Go enjoy a cup of Joe or homebrew for about 20 minutes and then inspect the spritzed area. It will have a beard of foamy bubbles if seeping.

Regarding terminology, we have always called the sealing surfaces of the tires "beads" and the receiving surfaces of the rims the "bead seats". The reinforcing wires are "bead reinforcing wires". Now I gotta go google all of that to see is we have always been wrong???!!!

EDIT: It seems the terminology varies quite a bit. Here is a smorgasbord of them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tire+terminology&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&tbm=isch&imgil=Lty-vvMhPfZftM%253A%253BgSqUD8H_Qu2XNM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.offroaders.com%25252Ftech%25252FAT-MT-Tires%25252Ftire-tech.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Lty-vvMhPfZftM%253A%252CgSqUD8H_Qu2XNM%252C_&biw=1067&bih=494&usg=__2QnfiS0X9ZTi3U9s4T5cfc4BWqg%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjo4OCbnv3JAhVLzoMKHReIABUQyjcIbQ&ei=3HmAVuiCLMucjwSXkIKoAQ#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACdv-EwVnfqRFIjh_1rYfW7gcZTCUVi-bc8nffrG9RIkwivDeX3ldEkp4XcUrqOjHGitOfDYvmelVgfhOCRxvPGFwU1yoSCX-th9buBxlMEf7kaGV47qliKhIJJRWL5tzyd98RoUa74rMNICEqEgmsb1EiTCK8NxHf9TFEgfptqSoSCZfeV0SSnhdxEWhzYbKkDOMUKhIJSuo6McaK058RIogekXB6aYQqEgkNi-Z6VWB-ExGHH9nstvze-SoSCYJHG88YXBTXEYI3s-TFAXPh&q=tire%20terminology

prs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: prs
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Monitoring for very slow leaks or seeps can be frustrating due to temp changes and such. Get your regular bottle of Windex and spritz the area of the rim and tire involved. Go enjoy a cup of Joe or homebrew for about 20 minutes and then inspect the spritzed area. It will have a beard of foamy bubbles if seeping.

Regarding terminology, we have always called the sealing surfaces of the tires "beads" and the receiving surfaces of the rims the "bead seats". The reinforcing wires are "bead reinforcing wires". Now I gotta go google all of that to see is we have always been wrong???!!!

EDIT: It seems the terminology varies quite a bit. Here is a smorgasbord of them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tire+terminology&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&tbm=isch&imgil=Lty-vvMhPfZftM%253A%253BgSqUD8H_Qu2XNM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.offroaders.com%25252Ftech%25252FAT-MT-Tires%25252Ftire-tech.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Lty-vvMhPfZftM%253A%252CgSqUD8H_Qu2XNM%252C_&biw=1067&bih=494&usg=__2QnfiS0X9ZTi3U9s4T5cfc4BWqg%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjo4OCbnv3JAhVLzoMKHReIABUQyjcIbQ&ei=3HmAVuiCLMucjwSXkIKoAQ#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACdv-EwVnfqRFIjh_1rYfW7gcZTCUVi-bc8nffrG9RIkwivDeX3ldEkp4XcUrqOjHGitOfDYvmelVgfhOCRxvPGFwU1yoSCX-th9buBxlMEf7kaGV47qliKhIJJRWL5tzyd98RoUa74rMNICEqEgmsb1EiTCK8NxHf9TFEgfptqSoSCZfeV0SSnhdxEWhzYbKkDOMUKhIJSuo6McaK058RIogekXB6aYQqEgkNi-Z6VWB-ExGHH9nstvze-SoSCYJHG88YXBTXEYI3s-TFAXPh&q=tire%20terminology

prs

Prs,

I think you have the terminology exactly right.

Be aware that the layman is pretty loose with the terminology, but those of us who are in the business tend to use fairly exact terms.

One interesting side item: The word "bead" is used is quite a few different ways. Yes, the area of the tire that touches the rim is called the bead, but so are the wires - although, the term "bead wires" helps to clarify. In the manufacturing process, when the wires are formed into a hoop, from that point forward, they are called beads.

The reason I pointed out the terminology problems in this thread is because some people seemed to be indicating with their comments that the bead, the actual wire, was broken. That clearly was not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back