got my o2 sensor out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Light came back on its the same code to arghgggggg. Stupid Saturn

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow and having them look at it. They put the cat on and they said if they deem it bad they'll replace it. So if they do ill let them and see if that is the issue if not I will do the other sensor

^Lame, that really sucks. Well, to me it sounds like the cat is the problem indeed. I wonder how that '97 Saturn owner got his replacement exhaust/cat system to not throw a code(he went 2 1/2 years b4 the rear 02 threw the p0420 again)? Maybe he got the original cat not aftermarket?

Anyway, if no exhaust leaks you'd figure it's the cat right now.

btw, did you reset the ECU after changing the sensor this last time?

Last edited:
Yes I reset it. And vikas I wouldn't scrap it because of the code but I would because the oil consumption. Do you have any better ideas ? I could fix it but the cost and labor is a lot and I could keep adding oil but eventually its going to be to bad to pass emissions. Also I pulled the o2 of wasn't that old and the rear sensor is brand new. The shop will replace the cat for free so I'm going to do that first.

^Please, ask them why the [censored] it failed so early and are there any 'better' aftermarkets available?

Or at least express you are surprised a Magnaflow failed so soon...

Last edited:
I tried the non fouler my drill broke while doing it. If the shop give s me [censored] ill try that. Can you buy that in the stores or anything?

Buy the non-fouler or the cat?
grin2.gif

Either buy a new drill to make your own non-fouler or order a pre-made over ebay. Even if you get new converter gratis, (assuming it is not going to be OEM) you will be battling this again later. In the meantime, be prepared with non-fouler.

I had one extra but I gave it to my friend few months ago. However, it was pre-drilled but short length and it did NOT work for him :-( If I still had it, I would have shipped it to you.

- Vikas

Light came back on its the same code to arghgggggg. Stupid Saturn

Baah, I wouldn't touch it till the week prior to having to pass emissions, then I'd worry about it...

As far as oil throw some 20W-50 at it, if it's a cold day & you're worried about flow just drive the truck, spring is just around the corner...

Yea. Was the piece on eBay already pre drilled so it was just plug and play? Or did it need to be drilled to?

Been a week now mines still out. Instructions in the other thread you have going. Works perfect!

Yea. Was the piece on eBay already pre drilled so it was just plug and play? Or did it need to be drilled to?

The one on the ebay is all plug and pRay! It is all drilled out and that is all you use i.e. no drilling and no putting two anti-fouler on each other.

Just make sure there is room around the converter bung so that there are no clearance issue.

There is no better and cheaper remedy for P0420. If this does not fix it, then you are entitled to take a torch to your vehicle and I will NOT blame you a bit :)

Seriously, you are a good person, good (soon-to-be) husband and a great father to your son. Very few people would have been able to overcome your circumstances. You should be proud. You will be doing well in future. Don't let this minor issue bring you down.

- Vikas

Thanks vikas , I just left the shop the o2 sensors are working great and he was surprised at how smooth the car ran they are replacing the cat for free on Friday.

Thats good, gives you time to sell it before the CEL comes back. Go buy a For Sale sign, drive around with it in the window.

Meh, IDK, get the replacement cat on and see what happens with codes.

Awesome that they said the 02 sensors are doing great. How did they test them???

If only a partial rebuild could be afforded, new heads/ring packs...anyone know how much that would cost?

I have the 0420 code on my safari and the non foulers didnt work for me. I just hate spending like $50 a sensor x3 on a 190k van thats on its last leg anyway.

Looks like you have got a good shop to work with. Most other shops would have tried to blame it on O2 sensor or other factors before owning up to a bad catalytic converter. You seem to have found an honest and trustworthy shop for your car repair needs.

RE: putting the For Sale sign; Frankly I do not think OP is the type of person who would unload his car to an unsuspecting buyer.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Yea I wouldn't sell it to someone without telling them the trouble with it. I've been screwed before its not fun. They used a high tech scanner I believe. They asked when was the last time I did a tune up which was a couple months ago and then said Ok Its the cat. No arguments luckily . I just hope a new cat is the end of this chasing my tail running in circles nonsense.

As long as you understand that the answer may last few more months and there will be a come back. Your shop is good but there is no way they are going to be able to put an OEM converter on your vehicle.

Count on getting the light back in less than six months.

- Vikas

Yea I wouldn't sell it to someone without telling them the trouble with it.

Trade it back to the dealer that sold it to you. They didn't have a problem selling you the car, so you owe them no explanation. I'm sure they have something else decent.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
As long as you understand that the answer may last few more months and there will be a come back. Your shop is good but there is no way they are going to be able to put an OEM converter on your vehicle.

Count on getting the light back in less than six months.

- Vikas

How could another Saturn owner get 2 1/2 years on a new converter b4 a false positive p0420(was the rear 02), happen to swing that?

I'm going to sign up on the saturn fans site and ask him myself. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back